• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Assert failure 7 - CyanogenMod on SGH-I747M MK5 (d2spr)

Tabarnak

Dec 8, 2010
I keep getting this failure when trying to install CyanogenMod on my phone. I read that the failure 7 was because the recovery I'm using is out of date (I was using CWM 5.something so I put PhilzRecovery 6.0 on it and still I have the same error.

I also read about deleting the assert lines at the beginning of the updater-script file but although this works the ROM will still not work...

So could someone help me as to what to try next?

Try adding our model number instead of deleting any lines. Also, what are you using to unzip/rezip the ROM? I use winrar, but I don't unzip the whole thing. I drag the updater script out of the zip, mod it, and drag it back in, without ever fully unzipping it.

Also, are you doing a full wipe?

Upvote 0
Yea just realized the model number I had in was wrong, I was copy/paste from the guide these 2:

L710VPUBMK5 and
L710VPAMG2

My model is L747M so I'm putting in:

L747MVPUBMK5 and
L747MVPAMG2

EDIT: I'm also putting L747MVLUEMK5 in, it's under the about section of my phone as the baseband version. Since it looks like the bootloader names I'm sticking it in too.

I'm editing it directly with Notepad++, I don't need to rename it.

Upvote 0
There is a bold, red coloured warning in the OP of my tutorial about users from Canada-you guys do not fall under the Sprint umbrella!!! AT&T is responsible for the VM Canada users.

From my OP:

WARNING! It has recently come to my attention that Virgin Mobile uses other carriers for their "umbrella" in Canada (Sprint for VM USA, AT&T for Canada); therefore, I am adding the disclaimer that all methods and files from here on down are intended only for SPH-L710; if you don't have that specific phone designation, then this info may or may not be useful, however that is where it ends! I am not responsible if something goes extremely sideways and you are using a phone designated anything other than SPH-L710! Additionally, bricked phones, from any carrier, are NOT my problem/responsibility, everything done while rooted, and especially any of the following methods/tips/customizations etc., etc., are done AT YOUR OWN RISK!! I am a firm believer in personal responsibility, as in nobody should really need a warning that their coffee is hot!!

Reactions: upconvert
Upvote 0
To the thread author: just FYI, if you were trying to flash anything for d2spr, you are very lucky if the asserts stopped your flash, or else you would be looking at brick city! Out of curiosity, did you read my tutorial? I reposted the warning from my OP in the post above.

PS: That warning, and the one in Britton's thread about rooting, were put in place about the middle of December after a round of posts between you and myself where we originally determined that, despite being Virgin Mobile, this was not the forum for Canadian users!

Reactions: upconvert
Upvote 0
Yea but I tried putting Philz recovery for d2att on my phone but it said that my phone needed d2spr...

Don't know what else to tell you my friend from the far north. SGH-I747 is the AT&Tmodel number for the SGS3. Additionally, I posted this link to the Cyanogen wiki the first time you were here, it is a matrix of which versions of CM work with which models of the SGS3. SGH-I747M is mentioned twice, for two of the Canadian carriers, and it is directed to the d2att version of CM.

SGS3FAQ - CyanogenMod

Reactions: Tabarnak
Upvote 0
Don't know what else to tell you my friend from the far north. SGH-I747 is the AT&Tmodel number for the SGS3. Additionally, I posted this link to the Cyanogen wiki the first time you were here, it is a matrix of which versions of CM work with which models of the SGS3. SGH-I747M is mentioned twice, for two of the Canadian carriers, and it is directed to the d2att version of CM.

SGS3FAQ - CyanogenMod

Well, I guess I'll try it for d2att then. Thanks for the help.

what does it say for model number under "about phone" in the settings?

SGH-I747M

Upvote 0
can't say for sure but you may get lucky with that and only need to get a d2att and change those asserts but since we have a different model with a different carry its totally unknown

I would say tho, thankfully nothing happened to our phone and I'd say keep this as a learning lesson, and don't try to flash anything till ur pretty sure about it

also if I were you I'd spend a large amount of time, maybe even a whole day or a few researching your phone by model number, and even see if a site like here or xda or somewhere similar has a thread dedicated to the Canadian virgin mobile devices cause there has gotta be one lol u can't be the only person in Canada trying to mod ur s3 lol

Upvote 0
I am trying to do the same thing as you: Put cyanogenMod 10.2.1 (cm-10.2.1-d2att) on a Samsung Galaxy S3 - Canadian Version (Rogers? Maybe Bell, not sure) - An SGH-I747M

I tried to install it with Clockwork mod, and TWRP but ran into the same "Assert Problem" to be exact I get this error:

> assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == ....
> E: error executing updater binary in zip....

From looking around, yes the problem seems to be in the "updater-script", but it isn't in the "assert(getprop("ro.bootloader") .." section. It is looking for the getprop("ro.product.device").

Line #1 in script-updater:

> assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "d2att" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "d2att");

This fails. Why? Obviously either our product.device, or build.product number is NOT d2att. Next question: What is our ro.product.device?

This information is found in /system/build.prop, and in this file the following lines follow:
> ro.product.device=d2can
> ro.build.product=d2can

THIS is why the updater-script is assert failing. This ROM (from it's point of view) IS incorrect.

My question to you:
- Is d2att a similar enough build to d2can that I can simply change the updater-script for it to work?
- Will there be other checks along the way that will make this fail?
- How can I get around this?

Thanks
-Lynx

To note: If you want to check your "ro.product.device" name, download a terminal editor (Play store), then type (without the ">")
> cd /system
> cat build.prop

The values will be at the top of the file.

Upvote 0
If you are confident that the firmware will work on your phone, I think you can delete that line from the updater script. I would absolutely try to contact at least one person who has done it. Flashing ROMs for another device is among the easier ways to brick a device.

That being said, our phone is the same hardware as the sprint, so yours has to be the same as some other major carrier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones