• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] bringing s3 from sprint to vm

phatboyslim12

Dec 6, 2011
East Coast, U.S...
i have an s3 from sprint a friend gave me, id like to use it on my vm account, ive read around and found different ways of getting it to work but im looking for more info about it.
this is what i currently have
the sprint s3, and a donor phone. also i can download the vm firmware on this site. what i really need is a good detailed write up thread if one exists...

i am experienced in rooting, custom roms, etc. but i havnt gone to far into programming

you don't need the virgin modem, I've been on a Sprint s3 flashed to virgin for over a year, you won't have 4g though, unless your donor had 4g anyway, pm me if you need help flashing it, I used dfs to do it all, pretty easy, you'll be able to use any Sprint rom, 4g may not work without the virgin modem though

Upvote 0
hey thanks for all the info, as i understand it if i use the sprint modem ill have better service, as for 4g i dont get it in my area anyway so thats fine, ill be working on the s3 tomorrow.

toddm27:
thanks if i need help ill pm you, also from what i understand i might be able to just use my donor phone and cm to root etc, and i can get it on vm without flashing the vm rom in theory

Upvote 0
@phatboyslim12
If toddm27 haven't helped you flash your sprint s3 to vm pm me and I'll help you. I had mine flashed to vm from Dec 2012 - Jun 2013 until I saw the thread on flashing Sprint S3 to Verizon prepaid was alright for 2 months now data is acting up and I might be going back to VM. I used the sprint S3 roms and custom 4.2.2 roms for mms. Also if he has already helped you did you flash a VM modem to get 4G working if you had it in your area they just got it in mine now I'm even more eager to go back to VM if I can get LTE.

Reactions: GetPhuct
Upvote 0
@phatboyslim12
If toddm27 haven't helped you flash your sprint s3 to vm pm me and I'll help you. I had mine flashed to vm from Dec 2012 - Jun 2013 until I saw the thread on flashing Sprint S3 to Verizon prepaid was alright for 2 months now data is acting up and I might be going back to VM. I used the sprint S3 roms and custom 4.2.2 roms for mms. Also if he has already helped you did you flash a VM modem to get 4G working if you had it in your area they just got it in mine now I'm even more eager to go back to VM if I can get LTE.

hey i happen to have a sprint galaxy s3 and would greatly appreciate if you could pm me some instructions on how to flash it to virgin mobile?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones