• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Camera shutter?

Yes just hold the volume down button til your device vibrate now its sound free .just turn the volume up when done that Kodak moment .

That doesn't work on the Victory - the shutter sounds even when the phone is silenced. Other measures are necessary to make the shutter quiet - eIther root to remove the shutter sounds, or try a 3rd party camera app as suggested above.

Upvote 0
I had an AU flipphone in Japan that had the camera in the hinge part of the phone with 270 degree rotation. So when the phone was closed you could rotate it from front to back if you wanted and take pictures while the phone was closed. And it wouldn't make a sound on silent mode either.

looking back on that... that was a creepy design.

Found it:

p_attachment_04.jpg

Upvote 0
you rooted? just rename files in /system/media/audio/ui

camera_click or camera_click_short or shutter or shutter_multiple ... forget exactly which one, i renamed em all

I renamed all of the camera/shutter stuff but I still hear a small beep when taking a picture

Attachments

• 1380388186977.jpg
    1380388186977.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 1380388222312.jpg
    1380388222312.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0
You did it correct yeah but you made a booboo you need to rename the file without the bak behind it this is telling the system its a back up file and it isn't . When u do this just delete the backup that the root explorer makes . Or if you don't want the sounds just delete the whole file from the media . Or keep the files and selection of the wrong permission will cause the system to ignore the files for sounds .

Upvote 0
You did it correct yeah but you made a booboo you need to rename the file without the bak behind it this is telling the system its a back up file and it isn't . When u do this just delete the backup that the root explorer makes . Or if you don't want the sounds just delete the whole file from the media . Or keep the files and selection of the wrong permission will cause the system to ignore the files for sounds .

Yeah I know I just don't want to delete the files that's all and I did this on rom toolbox.

You have to rename the focus sound too. Focus error too if you want to be thorough.
So that's what I was missing. :p

Upvote 0
Ok do you have a system folder>sound . Look inside all .and if not look under media>ui sounds .. but if so the other files you don't have to delete make a folder and remember the name put all the camera files in it and store this folder with your backup of os on your computer or laptop. Or as i said before just change the permission .

Reactions: DMajor239
Upvote 0
Ok do you have a system folder>sound . Look inside all .and if not look under media>ui sounds .. but if so the other files you don't have to delete make a folder and remember the name put all the camera files in it and store this folder with your backup of os on your computer or laptop. Or as i said before just change the permission .

Yeah bro, that's the files we were all talking about. System/media/audio/ui. But even when you get rid of all the .ogg files the autofocus still makes a sound.
But anyways, I extracted the Samsung camera.apk itself and the autofocus.ogg is in the app itself. The sounds are easy to remove, I just dont know how to recompile an apk, lol, still learning.

Upvote 0
Yeah I know I just don't want to delete the files that's all and I did this on rom toolbox.
I use rom toolbox too. If you go in system/app then click on Samsung camera.apk and instead of install, tap view, then res/raw and you see the ogg files in the app. Or If you long press on samsungcamera.apk you can extract the whole thing and then edit anything you want, but I dont know how to recompile it back into an apk yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones