• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] CM10.1 port

Why start with a rom for a Stellar that is already known to not boot?

IIRC the only thing that makes the Victory's MSM8960 'lite' is the reduced L2 cache. Did they change the rest of the board too? The GPUs are the same, one would assume the modem is the same as well. Seems more economical that theyd use as many of the same components as possible for economy of scale.

Aside from half the l2 cache, half the ram, and a different display shouldn't the Victory have nearly identical specs to an S3? Wouldnt it be easier to change those 3 parameters on a known working S3 rom and toss a Victory kernel on top than try to fix a non-working ported Stellar rom?

Edit: wouldnt those 3 things be kernelwork anyways? What makes S3 roms incompatible with the Victory aside from the kernel? What would happen if you flashed an S3 rom and then VaeVictus?

Upvote 0

IIRC the only thing that makes the Victory's MSM8960 'lite' is the reduced L2 cache. Did they change the rest of the board too? The GPUs are the same, one would assume the modem is the same as well. Seems more economical that theyd use as many of the same components as possible for economy of scale.

Aside from half the l2 cache, half the ram, and a different display shouldn't the Victory have nearly identical specs to an S3? Wouldnt it be easier to change those 3 parameters on a known working S3 rom and toss a Victory kernel on top than try to fix a non-working ported Stellar rom?

Edit: wouldnt those 3 things be kernelwork anyways? What makes S3 roms incompatible with the Victory aside from the kernel? What would happen if you flashed an S3 rom and then VaeVictus?

Let me go see lol

Reactions: Chiral
Upvote 0

Victory has the same amount of RAM as S3, so I think they're even more similar. I do get the feeling the Victory is a minified S3, and that you're onto something.

Edit: nevermind, looks like there are two version of the S3, one with 1gb and one with 2gb

Upvote 0
My bad, I thought the S3 had 2gb.

Edit after your edit: Still, shouldnt be much of a hurdle. I'm no dev expert, but I dont see why a kernel built for a victory on the hw side and a 4.1.2 S3 rom on the software side wouldnt allow us to use CM10 S3 roms.

Edit edit: anybody down for ripping up an S3 kernel to see just how different it is from ours? I could do it, but my desktop is a 3.0 P4 with 512mb RAM. And my HD is a 50gb with a few hundred MB free (could make it 40gb, havent booted the thing in a year except to root my victory, no qualms wiping it). Is this sufficient for light dev work? I'm a quick learner familiar with Java (command line), Flash and BASH.

My phone has better specs than my desktop. Lulz.

Upvote 0
The stupidity involved in what I just did to my phone... is astounding! Lol, screen wont even turn on -_- But Hey, if I can't fix this I've been thinking of getting an S4 for a while anyways.

This literally reminds me of a particular incident I had in Detroit when I was twelve. Tried to (on a whim) swim to Canada from Belle Isle...

Upvote 0
The stupidity involved in what I just did to my phone... is astounding! Lol, screen wont even turn on -_- But Hey, if I can't fix this I've been thinking of getting an S4 for a while anyways.

This literally reminds me of a particular incident I had in Detroit when I was twelve. Tried to (on a whim) swim to Canada from Belle Isle...
I can just hear you saying to your teenage buddy who was egging you on "Hold my beer!" ;)

Upvote 0

Flashing a rom/kernel shouldnt have been able to brick your phone, regardless of the circumstances.

No recovery? Download mode? ADB? Flashing from recovery shouldn't bork anything below the level of the write.

Edit: pull your battery and plug your phone in, bet the screen turns on. We'll get it fixed :)

Step 1: try recovery. If that works flash g60's stock backup.
Step 2: if recovery broken, try reflashing twrp through Odin in download mode.
Step 3: if no download mode (I dont see how flashing a rom could cause this), try ADB console to wipe system/recovery and then download mode to Odin and flash twrp.

Upvote 0
ok so just tossing this out there i know a little about linux and have several spare pc's setting around i am going to format one and set it up to be a dev box ill need guidance but i am a very fast learner so what version of linux should i start with ? my job gives me 4 days a week off soi have lots of time to try things i want to learn this stuff so i can start helping out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones