• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] CM11 and Hangouts: worst tag team since the Bushwhackers

rjhelgerson

Jan 10, 2011
I'm on CM11 and all is good in the world... except for hangouts. Yeah I get that hangouts isn't going anywhere, and now it's the default, but it's garbage.

I don't like how I have to use hangouts for MMS. But worse? I hate that I can't leave a split sms text (like going over 160 characters).. it won't allow that.

This rant is directed at Hangouts.. And not the brilliant guys in this forum who have made my Gs3 a BEAST!

But I just wanted to vent and see if anybody else feels my pain.

Yeah, the SMS through the Hangouts app is ridiculously stupid! I tried it out when they first added it and quickly switched back to Handcent for my SMS/MMS needs.

I wish that there was an All-in-one messaging app that could combine all my IM/SMS/MMS accounts into one like several of the email clients do but, alas, I have not found any.

I currently have to use Handcent, Hangouts, Facebook Messenger, and GroupMe because everyone I know and communicate with are all on different services.

Upvote 0
Definitely my main gripe as well is the character limit. However, if you install a ROM that has the AOSP messaging app, you can make a backup of that app with Titanium Backup and then restore it on whatever AOSP based ROM that you want, since some ROM's are using Hangouts by default and on others certain GApps packages overwrite the "default" messaging app. My understanding is that there used to be no character limit, but because the international carriers charge for MMS, people were upset that their text messages were getting converted to MMS format if they were too long. So really, Google just needs to offer a proper version for the American audience, and the limited version internationally, as far as I am concerned.

Upvote 0
I use handcent as well, allows split messages, has themes, allows you to change pretty much every font style,size, color, backgrounds, has a cool popup quick reply box

As far as I've seen MMS works fine, also has addons to allow it to support apple product group messages, altho i never had a group messages yet my brother has the same device and uses handcent and said its still a little wacky with group messages but at least it works right compared to the stock message app

Plus it has many more addons I haven't looked at yet

I tried hangouts, also thought it was cool u don't eleven need you phone with it, you can log in to Google and have it on ur PC as well, but for me I couldn't get used to the interface and how it worked lol

Upvote 0
XDA just posted about a new SMS app called EvolveSMS, I just downloaded it and it is pretty sick! Looks like this will be my new messaging app for a while. It even has an option to mimic the look of Hangouts if that is something you desire. Lots of customization, and an APN section with Virgin Mobile and Boost listed as options, looks like the dev has covered a lot of the important bases. Main feature is that everything is gesture based (at least everything important), like a better version of Hangouts. Available in the Play Store.

Reactions: upconvert
Upvote 0
XDA just posted about a new SMS app called EvolveSMS, I just downloaded it and it is pretty sick! Looks like this will be my new messaging app for a while. It even has an option to mimic the look of Hangouts if that is something you desire. Lots of customization, and an APN section with Virgin Mobile and Boost listed as options, looks like the dev has covered a lot of the important bases. Main feature is that everything is gesture based (at least everything important), like a better version of Hangouts. Available in the Play Store.

And hello SMS is very similar just a lot less customizable but runs well smooth snappy. Hopefully the dev will some more neat functions like quick pop up reply. Oh and I do believe MMS is working also but im not 100% sure because I use Google voice and I also have horrible connection at my place and I feel that throws off MMS . I did use evolve SMS but felt a tad too buggy

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones