• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] For people who updated firmware

mudflap2020

Android Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2013
If you were a batch of people who want to update firmware, then here you can post your questions, now from my understanding if you update firmware with twrp installed or any custom recovery, you will probably end up in errors and not be able to update and stay with the annoying update thingy you have victorious which isn't updated for the new firmware as of right now then you probablyt an error or cannot update. now my current state, I am on stock rooted software with twrp installed, my question is if I want to update my firmware right now what steps would I need to take to not hard brick my phone like I said, I just recovered from g60madmans stock rooted recovery, and have twrp installed, if I want to update without brick or complications, what do I do right as of right now?

right now I personally recommend that you DO NOT UPDATE the firmware if you have/want to keep root and not stock your phone. also do not install victorious if you updated your phone because it is not compatible right now, LOL if jerryscript replies with all the answers then yall be all right

in all seriousness, im not going to update, because i heard it stocks up your phone and twrp will no longer work rendering all the mother !%@&(&% backups i did for my phone useless, i have like 20+ gigs of backup on my laptop and now i goota delete it wow superfail,, b ut i don't know how to unroot, how to revert my twrp to stock Samsung recovery or how to safely make my phone super stock and update and have sd to internal swap flashed as a zip, with the new vaevictus kernel, i really need jerry to go on irc chat with me to get me to do this or im FUC*#$ really i don't want to make my phone unrooted

Upvote 0
I was on "Victorious version 0.2.2-R1", I flashed the new kernel "VaeVictus-MG5-OC".
Before I flashed the update to the (update2.zip) MG5 firmware update released by rbheromax, I copied the file "install-recovery.sh" from "system/ect" . I placed this file on my sd card. I then reboooted to recovery and installed the update2.zip from this thread http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...67-update-mc1-mg5-update-zip.html#post6047931 After that I wped dalvik cache and cache, confirmed to TWRP that I wanted to restore root and then booted. After the apps rebuilt, I copied the "install-recovery.sh" from my sd card back to "system/ect" and rebooted.

Everything seems okay for now. My guess is that we will be getting a full updated Victorious that will have the new firmware built in. So you can wait if you aren't addicted to playing with your phone like I am.

Edit: my antutu score went up by about 30 points. Close enough in the margin of error to be minimal if at all, but I will say it is hotter today than it has been, and I didn't cool my phone.

Upvote 0
right now I personally recommend that you DO NOT UPDATE the firmware if you have/want to keep root and not brick your phone. also do not install victorious if you updated your phone because it is not compatible right now, LOL if jerryscript replies with all the answers then yall be all right

i don't know what the firmware update does LOL FOR THE WIN but i think it changes the version of android and erases the graphic glich gremlin from the depths of cybertron. in all seriousness, im not going to update, because i heard it bricks your phone and twrp will no longer work rendering all the mother !%@&(&% backups i did for my phone useless, i have like 20+ gigs of backup on my laptop and now i goota delete it wow superfail,, b ut i don't know how to unroot, how to revert my twrp to stock Samsung recovery or how to safely make my phone super stock and update and have sd to internal swap flashed as a zip, with the new vaevictus kernel, i really need jerry to go on irc chat with me to get me to do this or im FUC*#$ really i don't want to brick my phone

You cant be completely stock and have the "official" firmware update and have the sd swap and vaevictus kernal. You need root for the swap and vaevictus. And you cant do official firmware update with root. Relax on the firmware update, its not that big a deal.

Reactions: mudflap2020
Upvote 0
You cant be completely stock and have the "official" firmware update and have the sd swap and vaevictus kernal. You need root for the swap and vaevictus. And you cant do official firmware update with root. Relax on the firmware update, its not that big a deal.

I think it is, now I gotta unroot update the firmwaren, find a way to root AGAIN then flash vae victus, and wait for new updated victoroius cuz if u dont ununroot you can bootloop and Brick your phone

Upvote 0
I found this in a different thread.

insanelycool said:
Check your settings... about phone... and look for the baseband version. if the last 3 digits are MG5 instead of MC1 then you have the update.

So, out of curiosity, I checked the Baseband Version on my phone and it still says MC1 and I did "flash" the update2.zip a few days ago. My question is did I install it incorrectly? I flashed it using TWRP.

P.S. There are so many threads discussing this update, I apologize if posted in the wrong thread :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
the modified update we are installing doesn't seem to be changing our baseband like the real update is supposed to. Keep in mind that a lot was taken out of that update when it was modified. I also tried the bl2.zip that was added as well for baseband, but it doesnt seem to accomplish anything that I could see, as my baseband version didnt change with that either.

Upvote 0
the modified update we are installing doesn't seem to be changing our baseband like the real update is supposed to. Keep in mind that a lot was taken out of that update when it was modified. I also tried the bl2.zip that was added as well for baseband, but it doesnt seem to accomplish anything that I could see, as my baseband version didnt change with that either.

I also flashed the latest update for Victorious and the Baseband didn't change.

Upvote 0
Mudflap, dafuq are you getting this from? Can you point to even one example of someone bricking their phone with this update?

You are (...again) trying to pretend you're an expert on stuff you dont understand.

Please, ask questions, be active, toss out ideas; but when people say "I recommend" it generally confers the confidence of one who knows what they're talking about. You don't.

Sorry if that was harsh, but I held back for a day hoping someone would say it nicer.

Upvote 0
Mudflap, dafuq are you getting this from? Can you point to even one example of someone bricking their phone with this update?

You are (...again) trying to pretend you're an expert on stuff you dont understand.

Please, ask questions, be active, toss out ideas; but when people say "I recommend" it generally confers the confidence of one who knows what they're talking about. You don't.

Sorry if that was harsh, but I held back for a day hoping someone would say it nicer.

Even jerryscript said to hold.on the update, give him room to make it.possible for everybody to update without issues and I didnnt go through the hassle of unrooting un installing twrp and all to update, im no expert but as far as annoyance of having, do you want.to.update on your.phone pop up and nhaving to press later becuase your.custom recovery and root can be taken away and some other flashable zips to now.work, also I stand corrected about the bricking your.phone, it was a typo, I havent had much sleep but I ment to have twrpuninstalled and other errors and just misshaps.Iin general what my message is. Is to wait.out and wait.till the.solution to updati.g.firmware comes.along with all kinks.and.glitches and messes sorted and sifted through that is all

Upvote 0
Thank you, kwknott--great message! :thumbup:

Just a little additional reminder to please be sure that you abide by our Site Rules/Guidelines and discuss the issues in a non-confrontational manner (i.e., attack the issues and not each other).

I did a little cleanup above and am hoping we won't need anymore, please.

Thanks for your cooperation!

:)

Upvote 0

Yes it can brick your phone becuase of bad downloads mis steps on installation and the update changes very important things do It can definitively possible brick your phone smarty pants and also installing victorious isn't supposed to soft brick your phone even when I correctly did the steps twice my phone darn softbricked first boot and.I reverted to g60madmans stock recovety to unsoftbrick my phone ok so their you have my response

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones