• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Virgin Mobile gets the Galaxy Reverb

It was more of a big news day for Boost Mobile. The Reverb is hardly "big mobile news" worthy. I was quite underwhelmed.

My thoughts exactly! I realize VM didn't want something to take the wind out of the sails of the HTC EVO 3D, but taking on a phone with essentially the same specs as the MT doesn't help anybody out in my opinion (other than VM customer service). With a buggy flagship like the EVO rather than a phone like the S II or S III or GNex to move up to, I'll eventually bail for T-Mobile once my MT loses its luster or poops out. Disappointing.:(

Upvote 0
it has the same capacity as the motorla triumph but better. the on ly thing good ot comes with fron facing camera and its ics and not froyo like the triumph

I'm sure it will have fewer problems than the MT, but it really is a slap in the face. The S2 is an older phone now, but still excellent specs & more compact than the S3 or GNex- they have the higher-res screens tho. One of the things that keeps me from running out & getting a phone like the GNex is the size, not so much wider but a good bit longer. I can just see it now... "hey, is that a Galaxy Nexus in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" :D

Oh yeah- and no WiMax...what's with that?!

Upvote 0
I'm sure it will have fewer problems than the MT, but it really is a slap in the face. The S2 is an older phone now, but still excellent specs & more compact than the S3 or GNex- they have the higher-res screens tho. One of the things that keeps me from running out & getting a phone like the GNex is the size, not so much wider but a good bit longer. I can just see it now... "hey, is that a Galaxy Nexus in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" :D

Oh yeah- and no WiMax...what's with that?!

I have to agree, it was stupid to release a $250 phone with no 4G. I suppose I can see the point in offering an alternative to the One V but having the alternative be an older phone that costs more for similar specs seems wrong.

While I understand Boost wanted a higher end phone, one with a dual core processor, since VM got one and Boost didn't, it makes sense they would get the S2. But then VM should have got a 4G single core phone that could compete with the Evo Design. It almost seems like Sprint is wanting people to move to Boost over VM.

As for the Nexus, it doesn't feel any larger than the Evo V 4G. Granted, the Nexus is a bit longer (135mm to 127mm) but the Evo is 50% thicker, which makes the Evo feel larger. And being so thin, it isn't really noticeable in pants pockets. ;)

I can't say I have any regrets for switching to the Nexus. While I liked the Evo for the few weeks I had it, the Nexus is just a better phone, in every way I can think of. Though, for me, the fact that I am getting decent data speeds, especially in areas I couldn't get 4G, is the whole reason I switched.

Reactions: rcsrich
Upvote 0
I have to agree, it was stupid to release a $250 phone with no 4G. I suppose I can see the point in offering an alternative to the One V but having the alternative be an older phone that costs more for similar specs seems wrong.

While I understand Boost wanted a higher end phone, one with a dual core processor, since VM got one and Boost didn't, it makes sense they would get the S2. But then VM should have got a 4G single core phone that could compete with the Evo Design. It almost seems like Sprint is wanting people to move to Boost over VM.

As for the Nexus, it doesn't feel any larger than the Evo V 4G. Granted, the Nexus is a bit longer (135mm to 127mm) but the Evo is 50% thicker, which makes the Evo feel larger. And being so thin, it isn't really noticeable in pants pockets. ;)

I can't say I have any regrets for switching to the Nexus. While I liked the Evo for the few weeks I had it, the Nexus is just a better phone, in every way I can think of. Though, for me, the fact that I am getting decent data speeds, especially in areas I couldn't get 4G, is the whole reason I switched.

Cool- good to hear it doesn't seem like a brick in your pocket. I do have a birthday coming up... ;) Who do you have service with, T-mobile or Straight Talk (assuming it's GSM)? I do hear the data is much more stable/reliable.

It doesn't surprise me that Sprint would want people to move toward Boost- there's still a bunch of customers on VM with grandfathered $25 plans that would be moving up to $35 with another phone. At least on Boost, they'll get $55 out of everyone for (I think?) 9 months & then eventually $40 a month, but I would guess the average user doesn't often stick around long enough to really enjoy much of the $40 service.

Upvote 0
Cool- good to hear it doesn't seem like a brick in your pocket. I do have a birthday coming up... ;) Who do you have service with, T-mobile or Straight Talk (assuming it's GSM)? I do hear the data is much more stable/reliable.

It doesn't surprise me that Sprint would want people to move toward Boost- there's still a bunch of customers on VM with grandfathered $25 plans that would be moving up to $35 with another phone. At least on Boost, they'll get $55 out of everyone for (I think?) 9 months & then eventually $40 a month, but I would guess the average user doesn't often stick around long enough to really enjoy much of the $40 service.

I have T-Mobile and have been happy with it. One "complaint", though relatively minor, is that T-Mobile bills every 30 days. I much preferred VM's billing on the same day each month, regardless of the number of days in the month. Only having 100 minutes per month doesn't bother me as I can make most calls over WiFi using Google Voice and GrooveIP. If I have a month I have to have more, the 10 cents/minute for extra minutes still works out cheaper for me.

Straight Talk has the advantage of unlimited talk, though they do have the 2GB limit on data. And, in some cases, the best carrier is going to be the one that has solid service in your area. I heard a comment today from an AT&T user (which Straight Talk uses) saying that going to San Francisco reminds them of going to a third world country because AT&T is so bad there. ;)

Upvote 0
One V vs Triumph?

Honestly? I miss the triumph. Sure it had issues, but look at the great DEV's for that phone. They turned that phone into a piece of ART man. I enjoy the One V, don't get me wrong. The triumph is better, IMO.

The elite? Well. That's an amazing device, but the screen size is small....and I liked the blinking notification for the triumph.

Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
One V vs Triumph?

Honestly? I miss the triumph. Sure it had issues, but look at the great DEV's for that phone. They turned that phone into a piece of ART man. I enjoy the One V, don't get me wrong. The triumph is better, IMO.

The elite? Well. That's an amazing device, but the screen size is small....and I liked the blinking notification for the triumph.

Just my opinion.

Then the upgrade path should be the Evo V 4G. Has a very strong dev community, since it has been around a while as the Evo 3D, larger screen, dual core, etc.

Upvote 0
Kinda wished it was Wimax capable though.

That might be somewhat limiting to the phones they can offer going forwards. There certainly aren't any new phones coming out with Wimax, so they can only choose from older ones, like the Evo (3d/Design/Shift) 4G, SII, Photon and such. And of those, presumably not all of them are still in production or worth putting back into production.

Maybe they'll make some new Wimax phones if it really takes off, but I can't imagine that's worthwhile.

That said, a Nexus S 4G running factory Jelly Bean might be a shake-up for Virgin?

On topic, the Reverb seems pretty uninteresting. What's compelling about it vs the One V? And why doesn't Virgin drop any of their existing phones? They have a really crowded lineup of middling phones.

They also discount them too quickly. Who will pay $250 for this Reverb when you can pretty much guarantee it will be on sale within about two months? The Triumph had crazy (black Friday) prices within about 4 months of release. The Evo V and One V are 20% off within what, two months of release?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones