• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [GUIDE][MK5][WIP]Rooting MK5 4.3 for Newbies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an update, Rooting worked great with my 4.4.2 VM phone and these files...

Odin3 v3.04
philz_touch_6.41.6-d2lte.tar.md5
UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip

I originally downloaded odin v3.07 from odindownload.com but was a little suspicious that it wanted to install an exe (which had a misspelling in it to boot!) Malwarebytes confirmed that there was malware built in. Stay far away. Looks like an official site, but probably a scam site.

Thanks for all the info TheBritton and struckn!

oh, dumb question... Is there a way to boot straight to recovery from the stock VM rom? Turning the phone off and doing the vol up+home+power is a little annoying.

Reactions: upconvert
Upvote 0
So before I root this I just wat to make sure, it's safe to use this method even though Im on android 4.4.2?

Yes it is safe as long as you follow the directions. Only ODIN the custom recovery. Everything else should be flashed from within the new recovery. I just did it two days ago on my wife's new SIII that had the 4.4.2 update.

Upvote 0
I also used the same 3 files, but only to install the recovery options since I installed superuser after rooting with Kingo. version 3.09 of Odin didn't have a "pda" section, but I discovered it did the same thing, they just labeled the buttons differently. You're still flashing a pda, and it says that when you click the button to locate the md5 file.

Just an update, Rooting worked great with my 4.4.2 VM phone and these files...

Odin3 v3.04
philz_touch_6.41.6-d2lte.tar.md5
UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip

I originally downloaded odin v3.07 from odindownload.com but was a little suspicious that it wanted to install an exe (which had a misspelling in it to boot!) Malwarebytes confirmed that there was malware built in. Stay far away. Looks like an official site, but probably a scam site.

Thanks for all the info TheBritton and struckn!

oh, dumb question... Is there a way to boot straight to recovery from the stock VM rom? Turning the phone off and doing the vol up+home+power is a little annoying.

Upvote 0
Hi
Well I 've used Phil x3 to load that Samsung virgin mobile
And no luck rooting my guess root is locked down on this
Phone. I've rooted other phones. I managed to flash that
Cm 11 still no root.
I've down loaded supersu and it loads no luck
I paid 29 bucks 2 a online root service spent four hours
Trying to root only to see reoccurring yellow triangles
Wi th numerous bricked options. This new virgion mobile
Phone is a bit tricky.
on my optimus Elite download the correct mod and it boots
With the new Rom and its rooted.
Jeez
What the..

Upvote 0
Never heard of towelroot. Is that a one-click solution?

Yep. I never used it before this. Towelroot is an app. I usually flash recovery with Odin then flash su and busybox with recovery, standard Samsung root. But my normal PC crapped out so I only had this Acer aspire netbook which has a small screen. It actually cuts off the start button in Odin. I have tried everything to get to the start button, .. Nope. So I figured I would try towelroot. Installed app, clicked " make it rain" then installed SuperSU from play store. For recovery install I used flashify. Downloaded latest philz recovery.img and let flashify install it. All without a computer.
Remember I only did it that way because I won't have a new PC for a few weeks and I could not use Odin. I highly recommend using the Odin / tar method.
Link for towelroot https://towelroot.com
Link for flashify https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cgollner.flashify
Link for SuperSU https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu

Upvote 0
I was having a lot of trouble rooting my VM GS3, I couldn't flash custom recovery with Odin, it just didn't work. I kept trying to use CF- Auto Root, it just did not work.

After a week and hours in front of computers, I found your Rooting Guide and it worked flawlessly, on the very first attempt.

Thank you so much for being out there and making such valuable contributions.

I really appreciate it.

Ira

Upvote 0
Hey guys,
First I want to thank everyone involved in the community. You guys are great. Also, I want to acknowledge that me rooting my device(Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3) is my responsibility and if I brick it, it's all on me.

Okay, disclaimers out of the way. I installed Philz. Backed up my rom. Installed SuperSU. Wiped everything/factory reset and dalvik. Updated MK5 modem. Loaded both midnight and MK5 deodexed on the android. Was able to install and boot into either, also get into my backed up Rom. However! All of them show data no mobile data found. I tried activating the device "Network is not available". I see no icon for 3G/4G and I have a constant red 'x' over my reception bars. Also in download mode, I saw nothing about KNOX, before or after I started tweaking with it.

I really appreciate any help regarding this and if I have posted to the wrong place, please help me find the right forum. I do not want to spam. =/

Thanks again,
Tyler

Upvote 0
Hey guys,
First I want to thank everyone involved in the community. You guys are great. Also, I want to acknowledge that me rooting my device(Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3) is my responsibility and if I brick it, it's all on me.

Okay, disclaimers out of the way. I installed Philz. Backed up my rom. Installed SuperSU. Wiped everything/factory reset and dalvik. Updated MK5 modem. Loaded both midnight and MK5 deodexed on the android. Was able to install and boot into either, also get into my backed up Rom. However! All of them show data no mobile data found. I tried activating the device "Network is not available". I see no icon for 3G/4G and I have a constant red 'x' over my reception bars. Also in download mode, I saw nothing about KNOX, before or after I started tweaking with it.

I really appreciate any help regarding this and if I have posted to the wrong place, please help me find the right forum. I do not want to spam. =/

Thanks again,
Tyler
I'm not sure, but you may need to flash the APN fix: http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=840298

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones