1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Virgin Mobile] Help needed with USB connection to PC.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bacchus Plateau, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Bacchus Plateau

None

Dec 23, 2013
    Washington, the State.
    Ok, I've run into an issue that I can't figure out on my own. I had to have my laptop replaced after I uploaded the new rom and such to my phone. I went to connect the phone with the USB cable today, and I'm having problems.

First of all, the phone does charge over the USB, but I don't get the chime or see the phone in explorer at all. It doesn't even try to load a driver.

If I activate USB debugging, suddenly the pc will see the phone and try to load drivers. This fails, and leaves me with an icon and yellow exclamation point in device manager.

I was able to install the samsung drivers, but that hasn't worked either.

FYI, I'm on CM 12-29 nightly and dkp kernel.

Any advice?

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Operating system? (8.1 is different than 7 or 8. Someone running it here can tell you what you have to do to make it cooperate.) Did you download the drivers from SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones

3. Bacchus Plateau

None

Dec 23, 2013
    Washington, the State.
    Oh,yeah, sorry. Win 7. and yes, I did download and install the drivers. Also just tried it on a Win XP box, same issue.

4. papa b

papa b Member
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    USA
    I'm on Carbon so you may need to adapt...

Go to settings/storage then tap the three dot menu. You're looking for "USB computer connection". Make sure you have "Media Device (MTP)" checked and not "Camera (PTP)" .

I'm pretty sure that some people are having "extra" (used to call them multi-point) problems/failures due to unstable stock camera apps...

Also, are you familiar with developer options and have you enabled them and/or set them up?

Bacchus Plateau likes this.
  5. mudflap2020

mudflap2020 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 20, 2013
    Male
    I understand your issue and had fixed it on my phone and on my dads I have windows 8.1 and here are some tips: go to device manager in control panel, right click and delete device as administrat or. Plug it back in and let the drivers install, oh before you do that go to storage tap the menus button and set the usb settings for the option that doesn't show camera. Unlock dev options via going to about phone and tapping the build number around 8 times, go back look for dev options and enable usb debugging, if at any time your computer says choose what to do with blah blah blah on your screen quickly click on it and set it to view files. Hopefully this helps, sorry if you don't get some parts as im typing this on my phone

cobretti likes this.
  6. Bacchus Plateau

None

Dec 23, 2013
    Washington, the State.
    Thank you papa b. That was the answer. I had neither of them checked. I looked and looked for an option like that. I'm pretty sure I turned them off the first time I connected. There was an option that came up on the screen that I clicked no on.

Working now though, just transferred a file over via usb.

I'm not really familiar with the developer options, but they are enabled. Not set up because I have no idea what to do with it really.

Thanks again.

7. mudflap2020

None

Jul 20, 2013
    Male
    Also Samsung drivers should not do anything useful as its made for stock phones running touchwiz, not custom phones based on aosp which is what cm11 is based on, a little research of your question on Google helps me fix it on xda as I believe, oh and when your phone is seen in your computer is is recognized a s a disc drive, usb mass storage or something else, and your computer should be fine, you can tell if you flash the stock Rom (deodexed or deodexed) and letting it set up drivers as a normal stock phone, problems like this arise from Roms all the time especially on nightly builds if this helps please thank

8. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    Glad you got it working! Most of the developer options mean nothing to an average user, but you have obviously found out about the USB debugging option. There is also an option for an Advanced Reboot menu, so that when you hold down the power button, you then have the option to boot into recovery, download mode, or just a plain system reboot without doing finger gymnastics on the various buttons.

9. papa b

papa b Member
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    USA
    You're welcome.

It's good that you have them (Dev. Options) enabled. Don't worry about changing anything. There are a lot of useful settings there. If you go through (just look) once in a while you'll eventually learn what they do.

10. Bacchus Plateau

None

Dec 23, 2013
    Washington, the State.
    Oh, yes, the reboot options, I love those! Forgot when I was making that reply that those are found there also.

11. mudflap2020

None

Jul 20, 2013
    Male
    Did my post not help at all, well...... I felt completely useless, no thanks

12. Bacchus Plateau

None

Dec 23, 2013
    Washington, the State.
    Thanks for your help, but I actually had figured it out as you were making your first reply. :)

mudflap2020 likes this.