1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root [Virgin Mobile] HELP!!!!!! succesful root/link2sd worked fine on galaxy victory- suddenly phone wont turn on!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lilmissmouse, Aug 3, 2013.

1. lilmissmouse

lilmissmouse Lurker

This post may be a little long but I want to make sure I explain everything accurately so please bare with me! And just a quick disclainer: I'm completely new to doing any sort of modifications to my phone so Im just starting to learn the terminology & everything so if you do have an answer for me, explain it like you're talking to someone who's completely technologically illiterate lol OK so on to the problem. I bought a brand New galaxy victory and once i figured out that it has storage limitations, I started doing alot of research. I ended up successfully rooting my phone & then found a tutorial for partitioning my sd card with minitool, which I also did. I was unsuccessful in getting it to work and it ended up freezing my phone. Since I had everything backed up to my pc, I just Decided to factory reset. I then re-rooted and partitioned my sd again, this time successfully. I then downloaded link2sd and succesfully linked all my apps etc. It worked completely fine for a few hours & then I ended up dropping my phone and the battery popped out. When I went to restart it, it got stuck on the screen that is Just black apart from the "Samsung" logo thing. I took the battery out, put it back in, & started it up by holding the volume up key +power (i think it's called recovery mode?) Because I didn't really know what I was doing exactly, I just pressed reboot from there and this time it did start, but just with the regular factory settings and I couldn't get link2sd to recognize the 2nd partition. So I just left it alone for a couple days - the internet and phone worked fine so I just used it the way it was. Then one night the battery died while I was sleeping and when I turned it on the next morning, everything worked completely fine. The partition was mounted, everything ran just the way I wanted & I was thrilled. It continued to work perfectly for the last 2 weeks until yesterday. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary-I think I was just editing a photo I had just taken-when suddenly it just rebooted itself. But this time it once again got stuck on the black "samsung" screen and the only way I can get it to fully boot is if I remove the sd card before powering on.which does me no good now that EVERYTHING is linked to the sd. Somebody PLEASE tell me how to fix this! !!!!!!

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Hey lilmissmouse, welcome to our AndroidForums and apologies for the belated reply.

I've moved your thread out of the Samsung manufacturer area into the all-things-root area for the Galaxy Victory.

I selected the Virgin Mobile area vs. the Sprint area with a 50-50 shot of getting you to the right ATR carrier area, so let me know if you are indeed Sprint and I'll get you moved there, too.

Cheers and best of luck--the good folks in here will hopefully give you some helpful advice.

:)

3. insanelycool

insanelycool Well-Known Member

Okay, first lesson here is never do a battery pull (except to root the phone). If you ever want to remove the battery, shut the phone down first. You can always do that by holding the power button down until it shuts off.

As far as your issue, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a faulty SD card. You should thoroughly test it on a PC with h2testw.

scary alien likes this.
  4. kwknott

kwknott Android Expert

Or sdcard slot.. Test sdcard as recommended above and if it's fine I'd say it's slot

scary alien likes this.
  5. JerryScript

JerryScript Android Expert

If your sdcard appears to be fine after testing as mentioned above, you probably damaged the phone's sdcard slot when you dropped it. If a connector fractured a bit, that could explain why it started working and stopped working back and forth. The connector could be moved when the phone is squeezed or dropped if it has been damaged.

scary alien likes this.
  6. Chiral

Chiral Android Enthusiast

Yup, as stated, sounds like an sdcard issue.

Do you have any other microsd cards laying around you can swap out to see if they behave differently? It's possible that even if it tests fine the sd card is borked, given the inconsistent nature of the failure.

Side note, battery pull isnt necessary for rooting, a long press of the power button worked for me at that step.

scary alien likes this.
  7. lilmissmouse

lilmissmouse Lurker

Thank you for your replies!! Ok I'll run the test tonight. ..however, it does register when I instert it or remove it, it just won't turn on if it's already insertrd. So What ive done is turned on the phone without the sd, then inserted it once the phone boots up and I open "link2sd" and it runs me through the same thing as when I first installed iy where it has me create the mount script to ext2 partition or my sr card and thenthe message pops up telling me to reboot. But without fail, when I do reboot, it still wont turn on. It gets stuck on the"samsung" screen. So is it still q potential sd issue?