1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Virgin Mobile] Help! Victory Stuck in Boot Loop with Encryption

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by amaranthine, Jul 28, 2013.

1. amaranthine

amaranthine Newbie
    None

Dec 31, 2012
    I have a VM Victory running Android 4.1.2 rooted with TWRP installed and it was encrypted for corporate email.

Today the phone froze and I powered it off by holding the power button for 5 seconds or so. Once I turned it back on, I got to the encryption prompt to enter the PIN to continue booting. However, the PIN I entered (which I know is correct because I've been using it for weeks to boot the phone) was wrong according to Android and could not unlock the phone for continued booting.

I booted into TWRP and did a factory reset with no luck (got a lot of unable to mount errors). I entered enough failed PINs that the phone decides to erase all my user data. It went through that process, and now I'm stuck in a boot loop.

The phone will boot to the encryption PIN screen. I will enter my PIN, which works now, but the phone reboots and loads TWRP. TWRP will automatically run OpenRecoveryScript (there are lots of invalid and mount errors). After the script, the phone will automatically reboot into the encryption PIN screen again. Entering the correct PIN leads to the TWRP again running the script, rinse-and-repeat.

How can I restore my phone back to working order? I don't really care about keeping my user data anymore; I assume it's lost. I am able to boot into TWRP and into download mode.

I tried to use ODIN to flash the recovery.img and boot.img (each contained in its own .tar), but I got write/mount errors in ODIN. I assume the encryption is preventing access or mounting of /data or much of the files and I'm looking to get rid of encryption to restore the phone to stock (in order to start over). I'm a relative newbie to solving this issue and would appreciate any help!

Advertisement

2. amaranthine

amaranthine Newbie
    None

Dec 31, 2012
    I solved the problem. It was basically to use TWRP to flash the stock recovery, which allowed the phone to complete its wipe process and boot to stock JB. I lost all user data, but at least the phone is functional again.