• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] How screwed am I?

MizKoko

Dec 11, 2013
The person who was rooting my gS3 screwed up since I couldn't do it myself... (laptop's usb isn't working in any case) I'm not sure exactly what he did to it but I am sure I am screwed.

-failed root
-no "virgin mobile" on the lock screen
-no MMS
-camera fails

I was on 4.1.2

please, any help? How can this be fixed? At the very least how do I return to stock and not have it read "modified"? Would flashing the stock and modem fix everything? Not even sure where the correct files are to flash the stock are, since everyone's on 4.3 now. Yes, I am a complete idiot and should have never let my phone be messed with.

Did you try to do a factory reset. Also if you want to flash custom Roms don't do the ota update to mk5 also if all fails there's a thread here for rooting the mg2 also if you look up lordimage tread he has a mg2 tar you can use you will need Odin to flash custom recovery and the mg2 .there is a the thread rooting guide for noobs

Upvote 0
No I didn't read it since I never intended to modify any roms. The only reason I wanted root was to kick the knox bootloader and stop media scanning. It's all over my head, (and my USB ports aren't going to be fixed anytime soon anyways) and I keep getting the different versions of things confused, so I can at least get the person who tried to root me the files so he can sort it out. He's never done a virgin mobile galaxy before. Also, is this it? http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...t/753321-i-have-found-stock-firmware-md7.html

Upvote 0
I read the rooting guide but I can't figure any of it out, no I didn't do the factory reset because I'm not sure what it'll do with the custom recovery my rooter put on there (he said it was not recognized?) Not sure which he installed.

A factory reset shouldn't affect the recovery. Were u able to flash the recovery on your phone

Upvote 0
my USB ports are dead. I can't flash anything right now. What I wanted was the files so the person who botched the job can fix it. He'd never done a virgin mobile phone before.

My points
-I am on 4.1.2 no knox
-need the stock rom in case I need to go back to stock unmodified just in case
-I cannot do this myself right now, even if I wasn't a moron my usb ports are broken
-I am extremely stressed out and being asked the same questions and asked to read things I don't understand is not helping

I appreciate you're trying to help but I'm extremely stupid with this kind of thing and at least wanted the right files for him.

Upvote 0
I just saw how to modify roms (4.3 roms) on the second one. Eh, I'll have to look over this later, I can't even think straight, I'm literally panicking because I have a phone that only makes calls and can't get MMS or take pictures. I just bought it and I screwed it up and I'm quite heartbroken. Sorry if i was rude or anything. Thanks for trying to help.

Upvote 0
I just saw how to modify roms (4.3 roms) on the second one. Eh, I'll have to look over this later, I can't even think straight, I'm literally panicking because I have a phone that only makes calls and can't get MMS or take pictures. I just bought it and I screwed it up and I'm quite heartbroken. Sorry if i was rude or anything. Thanks for trying to help.

We're here to help! ;) no need to panic!

If you want a MG2 (4.1.2) or a MD7(4.1.2) Stock ROM instead of MK5 (4.3) then you'll find that here: LINK

It says outdated only because MK5 (4.3) is out.

If you have any questions I'll be more than glad to help. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Thanks, It's so ironic I had a guy who roots for cash (probably hundreds of droids) do it and he still couldn't crack virgin mobile, and ended up breaking my camera and MMS. I did warn him not to flash any sprint roms because that caused issues. I did trouble to read up on it before so I could warn him, at least. I used to have a BlackBerry up until November so this is my first experience with droid.

Upvote 0
If I go back to unrooted stock is that still voided warranty? I'm not sure how that works. Biggest issue is that in the 4 hours of trying root was not achieved. Now if I could have had root and had my camera and MMs working I wouldn't be complaining but I seem to have a damned if you do damned if you don't situation here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones