• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] I broke my camera in a weird way.

upconvert

Sep 11, 2013
I was running the AICP 10/31 nightly, using the google camera from the playstore. I was taking video, and double tapped, trying to zoom. It took two stills, and then crashed. Now when I try to open google camera, it says, "Can't connect to the camera." Then it crashes. The stock camera now does the same thing. Third party cameras like Open Camera seem to work fine.

Here's the crazy part. I have clean-flashed the 11/10 nightly and downloaded Google camera from the play store, and it still does the same thing. I have clean flashed PAC ROM and DU, and the same thing happens. I have also tried the DKP kernel, same result

Anyone know how I could have broken something such that the hardware still works (with Open Camera), but some part of the software (that is not resolved by a clean wipe) persists in being borked?

Sorry if this isn't an "All things root" conversation. I can repost in support, but I figured, since I'm on several custom ROMs, this might be the right place to ask.

I was running the AICP 10/31 nightly, using the google camera from the playstore. I was taking video, and double tapped, trying to zoom. It took two stills, and then crashed. Now when I try to open google camera, it says, "Can't connect to the camera." Then it crashes. The stock camera now does the same thing. Third party cameras like Open Camera seem to work fine.

Here's the crazy part. I have clean-flashed the 11/10 nightly and downloaded Google camera from the play store, and it still does the same thing. I have clean flashed PAC ROM and DU, and the same thing happens. I have also tried the DKP kernel, same result

Anyone know how I could have broken something such that the hardware still works (with Open Camera), but some part of the software (that is not resolved by a clean wipe) persists in being borked?

Sorry if this isn't an "All things root" conversation. I can repost in support, but I figured, since I'm on several custom ROMs, this might be the right place to ask.

I had the same problem with AICP 11/10 with the cameras not being able to connect.I flashed the BMS kernel and all is good,gps is also working on my
mk5.

Reactions: upconvert
Upvote 0
That has been a weird problem around for a while especially on nexus devices. I've seen a lot of posts regarding this recently on custom ROM communities on Google Plus lately. Looking around there have been a variety of answers, some working others not. They say a restart should fix it. Force stopping the camera app and clearing the data or stopping all the apps that use the camera ( including flash light app) because only one app can use the camera at a time. There is also an app on XDA called restart camera or cmcamera fix on google play that pretty much just restarts the camera process which solves the problem temporarily. Personally, I've expiernced this once and I think all I did was Clean Install( may have wiped internal, I don't remember) . Hope you find a solution and please if you do let us know.

Upvote 0
Dirty Unicorns 8.1/last version 10-29-14

It happened to me on above Dirty Unicorns. I got the exact same error stated by "upconvert". First the google camera, then got one to work from playstore HD camera only one to get to work. Then it stopped working.It was working great on it for several weeks, and re-flashed back to version 8.0/8-15-14. I wiped cache and dalvik, reading forums on xda. I had to restore the stock Virgin SG3 rom, to get working again. They all work great on the stock rom. Of course this doesn't help us who want the custom rom experience. Even tried a couple different sd cards, but Virgin Customer Service educated me is software problem/issue. Sounds like kernel.

Steve

Upvote 0
Dirty Unicorns 8.1/last version 10-29-14

It happened to me on above Dirty Unicorns. I got the exact same error stated by "upconvert". First the google camera, then got one to work from playstore HD camera only one to get to work. Then it stopped working.It was working great on it for several weeks, and re-flashed back to version 8.0/8-15-14. I wiped cache and dalvik, reading forums on xda. I had to restore the stock Virgin SG3 rom, to get working again. They all work great on the stock rom. Of course this doesn't help us who want the custom rom experience. Even tried a couple different sd cards, but Virgin Customer Service educated me is software problem/issue. Sounds like kernel.

Steve

Thanks for all the replies. I did try clearing data and cache on the camera app, in addition to uninstalling and reinstalling, to no effect. I will try those camera fix apps. I am not willing to go back to a stock ROM, but I may try it temporarily and flash back to a custom ROM.

I've tried the BMS and DKP kernels, and neither fixed it. I might also try flashing an old AICP nightly that I know for sure had the camera working. For now, I'm going to keep using the Open Camera. I actually like it quite a bit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones