1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Virgin Mobile] I need some direction, slight hand-holding :)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Palmetto Fellow, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Android Expert

I'm not that big on the rooting scene. I do what I need to when I need to, and then I drop off for months before something draws me back in.

Well, that damn KitKat notification has finally pissed me off enough to do something about it. I've been ignoring it for at least 4 months now, and it's time to move on.

I'm rooted, WITHOUT the Knox botloader, and running MOAR v9.0.1 MK3, Android version 4.3, Baseband MK5.

From what I can tell, there's no MOAR for KitKat is there? If not, what's the next best thing on KitKat?
    Also, given my current state, where do I begin with the steps to getting the new ROM? Do I just make a NAND backup, wipe everything and flash it? Do I need to update radios, baseband versions, or anything else like that first?

I don't want Knox at all, so let's avoid anything that could put that on my phone.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. cmichael258

cmichael258 Well-Known Member

You can keep your MK5 Baseband and download one of the nightlies from that
    section on the main page. Liquid Smooth (2014-09-11 version), Carbon or Nameless are a few of the good ones.
    http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...oot/851777-android-4-4-4-d2lte-nightlies.html

You should do a Nand backup and wipe everything for a clean install. After flashing the ROM of choice, you will need to flash GAAPS (also linked on the nightlies page) and apply the APN fixes from Moped's page:
    http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...-virgin-mobile-apn-fix-wip-cm-aosp-4-4-x.html

3. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Android Expert

Are there any good touchwiz kit Kat options? Every AOSP ROM I've tried in the past has sent me back to TW. I'm willing to try them though.
    Will I lose s-beam? Anything else that I'd lose? I'm a big fan of the Samsung camera. Every AOSP I've tried in the past had a sluggish camera it seemed.
    Also, after applying the apn fix, if I want to go back to my MOAR nand, do I need to do anything?

4. cmichael258

cmichael258 Well-Known Member

Hopefully, some of our forum members who are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

It's my understanding that Touchwiz options require ND8 or NDC baseband/bootloader/modem, ND8 or NDC baseband/bootloader/modem, which means you will be Knoxed.

5. Ab5traktion

Ab5traktion Android Enthusiast

S-Beam is basically Samsung's name for NFC transfers. I don't know if it's new with Android 4.4.4, but every AOSP ROM has Android Beam. Basically works the same way as S-Beam in regards to file and data transfer.

With AOSP ROMs and Android 4.4.4 GAPPS, AOSP camera is replaced with Google camera. It's basically a very simplistic camera app. Definitely doesn't have as many features as the Samsung camera does. But when I need more features when taking pictures, I usually use Perfectly Clear or Focal camera. What I like about the AOSP gallery is it's editing feature is pretty comprehensive.

If you prefer Touchwiz ROMs, you should check out Conquest Singularity. The link to it is in the forum. It's a good mix of AOSP and Touchwiz. When installing it, it lets you choose if you want the AOSP or Touchwiz version of an app. So, when you're installing the camera, for example, it asks you which version of the camera you want. It's a great and stable ROM. Your phone does to need ND8 or NDC modems in order to use Android 4.4.2 Touchwiz ROMs.

The APN fix should work with any d2lte ROM with any Android version. I think MOAR stopped at Android 4.3. There shouldn't be any issues when using the APN fix with it.

6. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

Knox isn't a big deal if your warranty is over. It hasn't stopped me from doing anything to my phone. It also hasn't kicked my puppy, stepped on my cat, knocked up my sister, slashed my tires or anything negative at all.

7. sean19661

sean19661 Android Enthusiast

I used tributes rom with mopedryder apn fix decent rom

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews