• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] MidnightRom:GS3 4.3 1.0. 12/17/2013 Supercharged stock

xthedakmanx

Android Expert
Sep 10, 2011
goo.im
After a very long leave of absence (SORRY!), I now present to you all MidnightRom GS3 4.3! es for this phone, it's finally here!

Install instructions in the second post! PLEASE READ!!!

If coming from any other rom, INCLUDING the 4.1.2 MidnightRom, PLEASE flash the latest modem software!
Goo.im Downloads - Downloading SPH-L710_MK5_modem.zip

MidnightRom: GS3 4.3 1.0.0 <---- Download here!

Warning: Do not flash any third party kernels on this phone at this time. ALL third party kernels (ANY from xda for example) will BRICK YOUR PHONE.

Features list:
-For the SPHL710AVB Phone
-"Stock" 4.3
-Latest Sprint firmware
-Fully deodexed/zipaligned
-Optimized for speed and battery usage
-Better deep sleep
-Better memory management
-Sound file optimizations
-Tons of useless things removed (Virgin Mobile ID, etcetc)
-Init.d support (With some of my custom init.d scripts)
-SuperSU
-Busybox
-Google Wallet support (Says it's not supported in the app, but it works flawlessly)
-Custom boot animation support
-Knox Free

Todo:
-Overclocking
-Optimizations
-GPS Fixes
-Goo.im support
-Add some apps preinstalled
-Add adblocking by default
-Camera changes
-LOTS more optimizations
-4G/3G/Wifi tweaks

Easy Installation instructions:

This is from the perspective that you already have a custom recovery.

-Download the latest modem and flash it
http://goo.gl/NvGyKh
-Download the latest version of MidnightRomGS3 4.3 and install!

Yup! Easy as that ^_^

Note: You CAN upgrade this over existing MidnightRom 4.1.2 versions! Just wipe cache and dalvik cache, make sure you flash the modem first, then the ROM. You won't lose any existing settings or anything!

Upvote 0
Changelog:

12/17/2013 1.0.0
-First version!

-SuperSU rooted
-Fully deodxed
-Sound files optimized
-Init.d support
-Some file optimizations
-Removed a lot of non needed files/apps that either use up space, take away privacy, or reduce battery life
-Boot animation support

There's a LOT I still need to do, but this ROM is running extremely well (a LOT better than just being fully stock). There shouldn't be any problems or issues, but if there are please post about them in the thread ^_^

Stay tuned ^_^

Upvote 0
Changelog:

12/17/2013 1.0.0
-First version!

There's a LOT I still need to do, but this ROM is running extremely well (a LOT better than just being fully stock). There shouldn't be any problems or issues, but if there are please post about them in the thread ^_^

Stay tuned ^_^

Its going to be asked eventually....so I figure ill get it out of the way.... does this include Knox boot loader??

On another note....I used your midnight 4.1.2 ... glad to see you back!!

Reactions: ssethv
Upvote 0
Maybe I just didn't see it but can you post the MD5? Also. I am new to knox and Samsung. Can I use this? I rooted my phone a few weeks ago with the knox bootloader. Don't know if different firmware will effect me. Pardon if I missed something in the stickies. There was alot of information to learn :)

Here's a good summary of KNOX from the stickies. Everyone should read it (that's why it's a sticky).

Its going to be asked eventually....so I figure ill get it out of the way.... does this include Knox boot loader??

On another note....I used your midnight 4.1.2 ... glad to see you back!!

Good question. Knox is like phone herpes.

Upvote 0
Warning: Do not flash any third party kernels on this phone at this time. ALL third party kernels (ANY from xda for example) will BRICK YOUR PHONE.

Are you referring to using third party kernels on the device in general or just with your rom?

Just asking for clarification because the DKP kernel and others from XDA have been working great with the MK5 build.

Great work! Glad to have you back :)

Upvote 0
Are you referring to using third party kernels on the device in general or just with your rom?

Just asking for clarification because the DKP kernel and others from XDA have been working great with the MK5 build.

Great work! Glad to have you back :)

I need to take that off lol >.< Whoops.

It originally was there (taken from my other posts) because I managed to accidently brick two gs3's by accidently flashing a...verizon...variant...kernel...>_>

Upvote 0
I need to take that off lol >.< Whoops.

It originally was there (taken from my other posts) because I managed to accidently brick two gs3's by accidently flashing a...verizon...variant...kernel...>_>

Oh okay! Thanks :)
Yikes! Hard bricks? That doesn't sound good at all. I guess the partition tables are different with Verizon variants. So far so good with the Sprint kernels though.

Excellent work! I'm glad to see development kick up again in this device forum. We have a great team here and it's growing! That's very exciting!

Upvote 0
I flashed your rom, love it so far, especially switching from lte to wifi and back. All the 4.3 roms I've tried all had this issue. All the features I have tried worked perfectly. Only one issue I've noticed, I lost root. When I tried to use to, it said I did not have root. I had to restore my 4.1 rom bu, which I checked and I have root again. How do I keep root on your rom, thanks.

Upvote 0
I flashed your rom, love it so far, especially switching from lte to wifi and back. All the 4.3 roms I've tried all had this issue. All the features I have tried worked perfectly. Only one issue I've noticed, I lost root. When I tried to use to, it said I did not have root. I had to restore my 4.1 rom bu, which I checked and I have root again. How do I keep root on your rom, thanks.

Odd.
Try installing SuperSU after the rom install and see what happens
SuperSU Download

If that doesn't work, a post on xda said to "go to settings/Developer options/root access tick Apps and ADB. reboot"

Anyone else having this issue?

Upvote 0
so if i have the 4.3 non knox bootloader stock rom what do i do to get this rom

You'll need to have a custom recovery. You just need to make a nandroid, wipe system, data, cache, and dalvik, and flash the ROM.

I would highly recommend reading the sticky about Knox I linked above to find out exactly what you can and can't do.

BTW, great ROM! My new daily for sure.

Upvote 0
Odd.
Try installing SuperSU after the rom install and see what happens
SuperSU Download

If that doesn't work, a post on xda said to "go to settings/Developer options/root access tick Apps and ADB. reboot"

Anyone else having this issue?

I flashed this rom last night and the only issue I had was that I lost root so I restored my 4.1 version for now. Before going back to my 4.1, I made a backup of this 4.3 rom. I tried restoring my bu of this rom to do what you suggested so I can get root back but now, after restoring, it gets caught in a bootloop (with the four circles), it won't go past this, I have even let it sit for a half hour and I come back and its still on that same screen. The only way to get out was to do a battery pull and get into recovery by vol up, power and menu. Got back into recovery and this time did a factory reset and still the same thing happened. I even tried a third time and again, the same thing happened. I have backed up and restored numerous times without issue on other roms. I am using TWRP 2.6.3.0 and I checked and I am on the latest version. I don't know what else to do??

Upvote 0
I flashed this rom last night and the only issue I had was that I lost root so I restored my 4.1 version for now. Before going back to my 4.1, I made a backup of this 4.3 rom. I tried restoring my bu of this rom to do what you suggested so I can get root back but now, after restoring, it gets caught in a bootloop (with the four circles), it won't go past this, I have even let it sit for a half hour and I come back and its still on that same screen. The only way to get out was to do a battery pull and get into recovery by vol up, power and menu. Got back into recovery and this time did a factory reset and still the same thing happened. I even tried a third time and again, the same thing happened. I have backed up and restored numerous times without issue on other roms. I am using TWRP 2.6.3.0 and I checked and I am on the latest version. I don't know what else to do??

You might be out of luck restoring the backup. I'd do a clean install, and maybe switch over to Philz recovery. Make sure you have a working ROM before messing around with your recovery. You can fix a ROM from recovery, and fix a recovery from your ROM, but if both are borked, you might hav to take more drastic measures.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones