1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Virgin Mobile] MSL DATA info needed, can't get into 4G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Palmetto Fellow, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Android Expert

For anyone who's got the MSL for your phone, can you check the DATA information for me and see what some of the default settings for the 4G LTE connection are?

How many seconds is the retry? How often does it poll for 4G? I seem to have difficulty getting into 4G in areas that I know 4G is availalbe. I can't figure out why sometimes I can only get 3G in these areas, and turning off my mobile data, and back on still brings me up in 3G.

One time, my battery died, and when the phone turned back on, it went to 4G. A few hours earlier, I did a reboot, and when it came back up...it went to 3G, not 4G (same location BTW). Is there a difference between a power cycle and a reboot with regards to the 4G retry timer? Is it even a 4G retry timer? Maybe I could tweak the 4G minimum signal strangth needed to make an initial connection...as well as the strength needed to maintain that connection.

I recall doing this with my OG EVO's 4G Wimax to get a better connection. The EVO V I just retired was exceptional at getting into 4G. Seems like it always polled for 4G as I would get into 4G all the time.

My S3 seems a little slow to get into 4G at times, and I wonder what the MSL DATA settings look like. A few screenshots would be awesome if anyone can supply. I should be rooting in the next week or two...and I think I can just download an MSL app right? I did for the EVO V.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kevindroid

kevindroid Android Expert

3. FatalIll

FatalIll Well-Known Member

4. Palmetto Fellow

I couldn't make sense of it. I didn't see anything about timeouts, or minimum signal strength before disconnect...or retry timers...perhaps things have changed in the past 3 years...

Or maybe I should rephrase my question...

How does one manupilate the following parameters for 4G LTE connection on a VM S3?

1. Minimul Signal strength needed to connect (in dB)
    2. Minimum signal strength needed to stay connected (in dB)
    3. Duration of that minimum signal strength before disconnect (in seconds)
    4. Poll frequency (in seconds) to see if the signal is strong enough
    5. Minimum time for reconnection after disconnection (in seconds)

Again, I was able to manipulate all these parameters for my OG EVO's Wimax 4G connection which allowed me to get into 4G sooner, and stay there longer. Can I do the same with my S3 and LTE?

5. lordmage

lordmage Android Enthusiast

not to derail the thread but is there a working MSL code retrieval that works for are version of the sg3. i say this due to my attempts but failed to retrieve mine.

1. get my msl app fails then still fails after the ##data# steps no getprop ril at least for me
    2. catlog failed as well see above both app and adb

i did observe alot of lines about the camera but noting stood out.

i did try VIRGIN,SPRINT and the basic's not came to pass so far. also i found a hidden personalization menu that calls for Network lock code nothing i tried worked as well

6. kevindroid

kevindroid Android Expert

stock

7. BigBossman

BigBossman Well-Known Member

I had the same issue with this phone and the evo v. I tried doing the airplane mode method but I still go to 3G. I hope a dev releases a network hack and apn hack that would remove throttling and increases the 4G timeout time.

8. Palmetto Fellow

Damn...I assumed there was an app that let you retrieve your MSL code once rooted. I didn't realize they've been able to block this. I did it with the app for my EVO V and I think I had to use CDMA workshop on my OG EVO.

9. BigBossman

BigBossman Well-Known Member

I think they're locking access to the MSL so people won't try to change anything in it. Eh I wouldn't worry too much someone is sure to figure out some time soon.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews