1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Virgin Mobile] Need Dev Help...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by punkmaxx, Jun 18, 2013.

1. punkmaxx

punkmaxx Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 23, 2011
    Male
    Music Producer, Arborist, General Contractor
    West Virginia
    When I take my stock backup and make it into a flashable ZIP ROM it seems that it defaults my SGS3 to a have SIM card error; and wont let me connect to any cell networks...
    I cannot seem to find anything to resolve this issue....

I can restore this same system and have no issues with networks connectivity but if i zip it up and make an updater script and try to flash it as a ROK then i start to have problems... Please help i'd like to make a DEODEX ROm but i need to make a functional stock ODEX ROM first

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.... This has NEVER been a problem before with other phones...

Advertisement

2. Austrie

Austrie Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2011
    Male
    St.Thomas, US Virgin Islands
    I'll make a flashable zip myself and see if I get any errors. Also, what was the method you used to make the flashable zip?

3. punkmaxx

punkmaxx Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 23, 2011
    Male
    Music Producer, Arborist, General Contractor
    West Virginia
    I used a stock odex sprint ROM as a template ([ROM|Stock Rooted] 4/24/13 Sprint TouchWiz Jelly Bean 4.1.2 (L710VPBMD4) Odex/DeOdex ) and tried every combination of file replacement; /system replacement, kernel replacement configurations...

If i deleted everything but the update script and dropped a /system inside directly from a backup tar with the permissions set correct before being obliterated by the FAT based ZIP file system; then put in our stock kernel.. i could boot up but my phone would think it needed a SIM card (which does not exist) and would lock out the selection of cdma service until it was inserted.... Weird.

If i flashed a straight untouched odexed version of the sprint ROM that i used as a template, i found that to be the one and only sprint ROM that boots on our phones with data as soon as it starts.....

Soooooo... When combining the ROMs: If you try and combine or exchange any set of the filesets in the system partition (e.g. /framework /libs /etc) you would end up with bootloops, If you switch kernels and try to boot you will end up with bootloops....

I made about 30 varaitions of flashable ROMs but the only ones that would boot were my exact backup (but with no data & SIM error) or the odexed version of the sprint ROM and only when untouched.....

So there's the story as far as i've gotten

I have read numerous threads that have described this problem occurring when jelybean was first leaked and the SGS3's were still on ICS, people flashed the JB leaks or JB ROMs and were left with a SIM error and locked up data....

But no matter how many of these threads i read through, no solution was ever found, at least not one that was shared in forums...
    Whatever was found out to be the issue with flashing JB ROMs to SGS3's was discovered by DEVs and then integrated into ROM releases without informing the public of what was fixed.

Hope this helps