1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Virgin Mobile] Need help flashing CM on old S3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DaManWitDaPlan, Oct 31, 2014.

1. DaManWitDaPlan

Hey guys! Sorry if this is an inappropriate post, or too broad of a problem... Basically, I've been out of the loop for a good year or so when it comes to this phone and Android modding in general. I'm looking for a change of pace, though, and wanted to flash CyanogenMod 11 on my S3.

My issue is I'm not sure exactly where to start. I haven't updated/changed my s3 in quite some time. I'll post exact numbers below about my phone's firmware, etc. Basically, I rooted the phone a year ago, and have gotten popups ever since that tell me to update my firmware.

Model: SPH-L710

Android: 4.1.2 (stock rooted, as far as I know)

Baseband version: L710VPAMG2

Kernel version: 3.0.31-1293602-user
    se.infra@SEP-73 #2
    SMP PREEMPT Fri Jul 19 12:13:58 KST 2013

Build number: JZO54K.L710VPAMG2

Hardware version: L710.14

ClockworkMod: "CWM-based Recovery v5.5.0.4"

(Let me know if I need to post any other info!)

Of course, I can't update to the stock firmware, since I'm rooted and have ClockworkMod installed. I've always just dismissed the popups and used the phone as-is, but it's high time I flashed the thing and got some extra functionality out of it. :D

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to how to upgrade my phone, get the right version of CWM, where to download a rom of CM 11 that will work for me (couldn't seem to find a stable build :thinking:), etc, I would be more than appreciative :). My friend who's really great at flashing roms, etc., helped me install CWM and root the S3 in the first place, so I'm really starting from square 1 again. Feel free to assume I know nothing about this... :/ haha

Thanks!!

PS: Any info about flashing back to stock? If I deactivate the phone, I'd like to know if there'd be any chance of re-activating it with VM later on after CyanogenMod :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. MikeEthio

MikeEthio Well-Known Member

First you've got to have the latest version CWM you can get it easily from Rom manager app or goo.im app the app by itself download and install it for you, then download the latest version of CM 11 Nightly. Or stable one snapshot m11 and download gapp-kk or (gapp 4.4.+) to your external sd-card then reboot into recovery

-Wipe Data
    -Wipe Cache
    -Wipe Dalvik Cache
    -Install ROM
    -Install Gapps
    -Reboot System.
    That's it you done.

3. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

If you are on virgin mobile and know how to use Odin, this thread has the 4.4.2 KitKat firmware for our virgin mobile S3. Just install it with Odin on your computer. Then you will have to re root. As for clockworkmod recovery, there are better recoveries. Philz touch is a better touch recovery based on cwm. I will get you a link.
    Update: here is the zip of philz recovery. Just flash it in cwm.
    If you don't know how to use Odin then at least download philz and install that. You can actually flash any of the 4.4.4 aosp Roms which are mostly based on cm. There are a bunch that are compatible with your phone here . you can install any of those without having to update your firmware. Those Roms will update you to 4.4.4 KitKat.

4. DaManWitDaPlan

Thanks for the info, Mike :)

@Madbat, would that rom be the stock samsung touchwiz rom? I was thinking flashing to Cyanogen would be better for me, or do you mean I should update my stock firmware first? Also thanks for the link to philz, I'll check it out.

5. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

You mentioned that you wanted to update so I gave the link for it. You can run a KitKat ROM without updating firmware if you want. I updated mine because it updates the modem and boot loader. I like staying up to date, and some have mentioned gps problems on the latest cyanogen if you haven't updated. But it doesn't hurt to try. Just make a backup first.

6. DaManWitDaPlan

Ok, thanks. I might do that just to be safe. How can I get Odin? All the download links I found seem super sketchy... haha.

7. DaManWitDaPlan

8. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

9. DaManWitDaPlan

Thanks, I got odin and was able to flash Philz on my phone :)

One thing that I noticed is that the link you sent me for the 4.4.2 KitKat firmware for our virgin mobile S3 says that it has the Knox bootloader. I don't really know anything about it, but from first impressions it seems like Knox causes a lot of problems. Should I instead update to something like this and then flash CM 11 over it? Or is that even necessary?

I guess, is knox bootloader as bad as I think? haha, and I guess also, is there any way to install the stock KitKat firmware without having it (if it would cause issues).

Thanks again!

10. alexizawesome

alexizawesome Well-Known Member

Samsung Knox is a mobile security for enterprise that was released with Touch whiz Android 4.3. Causes problems? Not really, I mean once you update to 4.3 or later i.e the latest 4.4.2 firmware it gets embedded in the boot loader. You also can't downgrade firmware anymore. There was a whole scare a while back where in theory( Was it proven? I don't remember been forever) phones could be hacked/accessed remotely because of this feature. I've been on a knox'd boot loader since I got this phone and haven't had problems other than you know not odin'in older firmware. The link you posted is an os upgrade to what you have. It is the same as flashing CM11, won't affect firmware. If you don't want knox, try CM11 and see if you have any problems.

11. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

Knox is nothing to worry about. If you want to update to 4.4.2 you have to get knox. If you still have warranty left knox will show that you've installed a recovery. And once knox is there you can't downgrade your modem or bootloader back down from ndc (4.4.2 kitkat). Thats it, so no big deal. Its on my phone and doesn't matter.

12. pOsSuM72

pOsSuM72 Android Enthusiast

Yep don't worry about knox . ;-)

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews