• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [New Update] Patience Please

Sorry if this has been asked but I just purchased this phone today, (but it has not shipped yet). So 1. do you think it will come with this update pre-loaded. And 2. will I be able to root, install TWRP and flash Victorious if it does?

Probably too new to be on current inventory. To use the newest Victorious you actually need to be updated.

You can either wait for your phone to pull in update before you root or if you don't want to wait flash twrp and install the modified update Jerry posted

Upvote 0
Edit: See below for original post, the following has been added:

Good News!!!

I finally got the time to fix the update! ;)

Working:

1. Phone
  2. SMS
  3. MMS
  4. PRL update
  5. Profile update
  6. Samsung software update
  7. Firmware update (just checks of course)
  8. 3G
  9. 4G
  10. Samsung apps
  11. Virgin Mobile apps
  12. Camera & Video Recorder
  13. Gallery & Video Player
  14. Haven't tested NFC yet
I finally got the update on my phone (wanted an original copy). I changed the updater-script to not check the props, but did leave the assert patch checks, and changed install-recovery.sh to run init.d instead.

I booted into TWRP and made a backup, then I restored the stock backup from g60madman, then rebooted into the system and did all updates.

I booted into TWRP again, and installed my modified MC1-MG5-no-props.zip, install went flawlessly, no errors, takes about 5 minutes.

I rebooted into the system, and did all updates again, tested everything, then booted back into recovery to make a new backup.

I am now rebuilding Victorious from this update. ;)

Steps to update safely (Note-- If you are already running stock, no need to restore g60madmans backup, but you MUST BE RUNNING STOCK FOR THE PATCH CHECKS TO WORK, INCLUDING THE KERNEL!!!):

1. Download g60madmans's TWRP backup unzip it, and put the date/timestamp folder on your sdcard in the TWRP/BACKUPS/<random-number> folder
  2. Download update_SPH-L300_MC1_to_MG5-no-props.zip and put on your sdcard
  3. Backup all your apps with TitaniumBackup (just in case)
  4. Boot into recovery
  5. Make a backup (this one is more important!)
  6. Restore g60madman's TWRP backup
  7. Reboot into the system and do updates in settings
  8. Boot into recovery again
  9. Install the update_SPH-L300_MC1_to_MG5-no-props.zip
  10. Wipe cache and dalvik cache
  11. Optional - Install VaeVictus-MG5-OC-Rv3 kernel
  12. Reboot system
  13. Say yes if prompted to fix root
  14. Update everything in settings again
  15. Install Superuser (Koush's) and Busybox from the Play Store
After a few minutes, you should get a popup saying your install was succesful:

Screenshot_2013-08-12-23-14-08_zps212c1f03.png

Note : I've pulled a backup after installing this, and have rebuilt Victorious-0.3.1 from it. ;)

Original Post:

i dont understand how to do this step correct me if im wrong; Download g60madmans's TWRP backup unzip it, and put the date/timestamp folder on your sdcard in the TWRP/BACKUPS/<random-number> folder...

obviously i need to unzip on my computer then place in my sd card from my computer right..i just wana make sure so i dont mess something up

also my sd card is reversed with ext2internal so will that mess anything up, i dont know what to do, i cant risk messing anything up, do i put those unzipped files into the sd card even tho its reversed..

Upvote 0
i dont understand how to do this step correct me if im wrong; Download g60madmans's TWRP backup unzip it, and put the date/timestamp folder on your sdcard in the TWRP/BACKUPS/ folder...

obviously i need to unzip on my computer then place in my sd card from my computer right..i just wana make sure so i dont mess something up

also my sd card is reversed with ext2internal so will that mess anything up, i dont know what to do, i cant risk messing anything up, do i put those unzipped files into the sd card even tho its reversed..

Twrp doesnt reverse internal and external. When you're in recovery external is external.

Reactions: zacharynasty
Upvote 0
How did you flash a backup? You have to restore the backup. Just want to be sure we are talking about the same thing.
Yes, I put the TWRP backup in my own backups folder on my SD card and restored it as if I were restoring a backup I made myself, the timestamp is earlier than the one I made. I didn't notice any changes except that Android optimized all the apps, but the actual update zip still doesn't install.

Upvote 0
Sorry, on stock rom after I flash the no props update zip...and clear caches...I still have to go into setting s and do the update again? Do I update it from settings to begin with...I dont understand, please explain
Update in settings after you restore the stock backup, then flash the update.zip, then update in settings again. This will make sure you have the current PRL and updated Profile for using the network. Updating Samsung and Firmware are option, but I always let it try. ;)

Upvote 0
Yes, I put the TWRP backup in my own backups folder on my SD card and restored it as if I were restoring a backup I made myself, the timestamp is earlier than the one I made. I didn't notice any changes except that Android optimized all the apps, but the actual update zip still doesn't install.

After restoring g60madman's backup and rebooting, please tell us what it shows under

Settings>>About Device>>

1. Baseband version
  2. Kernel version
  3. Build number

Please give the exact error stated in recovery when the install fails (you can scroll the text window at the failed screen).

There are a few reasons it could fail, 1- you have not successfully restored stock, 2- you are not using the no-props zip, 3- your TWRP install is messed up, 4- unknown ;)

Upvote 0
I'm sorry Jerry, but I'm going to assume that you know about the treve mod wifi tether app, and have read the post to get it to work on the Victory. After following these steps, will that app still work? Could you please test it? And i've never used victorious before. Will you be able to implement the update into your newest model? If and when you introduce it, and you make a detailed guide to flash/install it, I'd love to try it and donate.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry Jerry, but I'm going to assume that you know about the treve mod wifi tether app, and have read the post to get it to work on the Victory. After following these steps, will that app still work? Could you please test it? And i've never used victorious before. Will you be able to implement the update into your newest model? If and when you introduce it, and you make a detailed guide to flash/install it, I'd love to try it and donate.

Yes, it works fine with Victorious-0.3.1. ;)

Upvote 0
question for those who had a stock machine and installed update_SPH-L300_MC1_to_MG5-no-props.zip - did the annoying "system update available" dialog stop appearing?

a day or two ago, I started getting this annoying dialog that blocks the whole screen, and also a notification in the tray. at first I thought the dialog kept coming back because I was telling it 'no' and also clearing the tray notification, but even if I don't clear the tray, the stupid dialog still comes up fairly frequently.

thanks!

EDIT: nvm, I
- installed update_SPH-L300_MC1_to_MG5-no-props.zip
- cleared dalvik+cache (nice that there is a single button in TWRP for that lol)
- TWRP said root needed fixing, so I let it
- rebooted
- updated PRL and Profile
- tried update samsung and firmware, but both said they were up to date

baseband: L300VPAMG5
kernel: 3.0.31-1308964
build#: JZO54K.L300VPAMG5
prl ver: 31104

one odd thing I noticed - I use the pattern lockscreen, and after the update, it changed from dots with transparent/shaded circles around them, to just dots with no circles. not a big deal, just a WTF-Samsung-Virgin moment ;-)

also the annoying update dialog and tray notification have gone ;-)

/EDIT

Reactions: JerryScript
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones