• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] No Wifi or Data

David Dubz

Android Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2012
United States
I've never seen this issue before with any phone. My brother recently got a Galaxy S3 for black friday after seeing how much I was enjoying it.

I rooted it and set up CM11 for him, but data wouldn't connect, even with the APN fix. I thought it was an issue with the ROM, but no matter what ROM I tried, nothing would work. We ended up restoring it back to the stock rom.

Unfortunately, this didn't work either. Data, service, and wifi won't connect at all and the baseband version is "Unknown" on every ROM I've tried. Solutions?

I've never seen this issue before with any phone. My brother recently got a Galaxy S3 for black friday after seeing how much I was enjoying it.

I rooted it and set up CM11 for him, but data wouldn't connect, even with the APN fix. I thought it was an issue with the ROM, but no matter what ROM I tried, nothing would work. We ended up restoring it back to the stock rom.

Unfortunately, this didn't work either. Data, service, and wifi won't connect at all and the baseband version is "Unknown" on every ROM I've tried. Solutions?
Might of have been that you have the Tri-band version instead of the L710 version

Upvote 0
There is some info on the Tri-band version over at the boost forums. Here is a link to specific troubleshooting post.

I checked this yesterday and found the modem.img. I restored it from the recovery and the phone works fine now! I'll link to it with instructions when I get home so anyone else with the Tri-band version can fix their phone if the same thing happens. Thanks a bunch!

Reactions: vargaset
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones