• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Noob - Knox and Cyanogen?

payterx

Dec 28, 2010
I stupidly updated my S3 from 4.1 to 4.3 when I got it, which apparently means that I have some super spooky thing called "knox" which, basically, is just there to make your life miserable.

Well here's some details about my device:
Baseband version: L710VPUBMK5
Build version: same **MK5
Hardware version: L710.14
ROM: Rooted 4.3 deodex

Here's my question:

How do I flash to CM11 nightly? Can I use the official CyanogenMod Installer?

You will need to use Philz and do a full wipe first. So backup any data stored on the internal phone storage location to be sure.

Yes you may now use the d2lte zip directly from CM's site without making any edits. Just make sure you have your prefered Kit Kat GAPPS. I use the official bloated ones because I am silly. But others use the cleaned up versions available on XDA-Developers.

Click here for GAPPS download for KK

1. You will want to do the full wipe
2. Flash the CM Nightly
3. Flash the GAPPS you prefer as long as it is for Kit Kat (4.4.x)
4. restart.

At this point, before you log in, a lot of people recommend just letting it sit there for about ten minutes doing nothing. I have done this and never had any issues others have had when just jumping in and setting things up. I believe the system is doing things in the background during it first startup. So it needs to finish that before any configurations can happen properly. But this could just be an overly cautious step.

Upvote 0
I did the same. I just got my vm gs3 yesterday after 2 years with the vzw gs3.

Not being able to write to the SD card is a pretty huge deal to me, so I'll be going to carbon rom if I can do it without messing anything up.

Off topic, but I had no problem writing to my SD cards on stock with Virgin Mobile. You may want to investigate that as it sounds not a ROM issue but a Phone issue.

Upvote 0
Off topic, but I had no problem writing to my SD cards on stock with Virgin Mobile. You may want to investigate that as it sounds not a ROM issue but a Phone issue.
sorry, I guess it was 4.4.2 that I updated to.

Android 4.4 KitKat Update: Micro SD Changes Explained; Root Access Fix Now Available

http://m.ibtimes.com/android-44-kit...plained-root-access-fix-now-available-1562147

【from Next Browser】

I was going to try to avoid it because it did the same on my vzw phone a couple days ago. All the custom 4.4 roms I tried worked fine though.

Upvote 0
Well I got this phone because my friend was eligible for a free Sprint upgrade, and chose the (free) S3 upgrade option, and kept his note 3 that he had and just gave me the S3 for free since it was free for him, and I moved it over to VM (not talking about how at all...)

He also had an unopened untouched refurbished S3 from back when he had one and upgraded to the note 3 the first time. He gave me this one still in the box too, and it had 4.1 on it without knox.

So I moved that one over, and now have a knox free S3!

So the new knox-free S3 right now has stock unrooted 4.1 with philz on it. Can I just flash cyanogenmod though philz, or do I have to update a modem or anything?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones