• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help virgin mobile optimus v

jmleon92

Feb 17, 2011
hello guys! first off i wanted to say that im new to these forums and i intend to be active in them :D i currently own a Motorola i1 with Sprint/Nextel but im soon to terminate my contract simply because the service is terrible and moto doesnt care enough for this phone to update it, as some of u may know already, this phone is STILL running on Android 1.5 and its not changing... ever. i was a loyal customer with sprint/nextel with their moto phones for about 5years but my family has had their service and phones for well over 7 years. finally, i decided i had enough and needed an upgrade after spending almost $400 for my moto i1 now im switching over to virgin mobile with the optimus v :D looks like its going to be an amazing phone and a huge upgrade for me, i just ordered it online through BestBuy and it should arrive in less than a week! im so excited! anyways, this is where my question comes into play

i know VM runs on CDMA so that primarily means that i cant use data while on a call. im aware of that and im actually ok with that. the thing is, i plan on downloading the skype app primarily, but i might try out other similar apps, and i was wondering if i was going to be able to use the skype app to its full potential and use its talking feature on 3G on the go. whether its to landlines, other cells on either cdma, gsm or even iden. im hoping it might work since im not really using the voice service cuz i would be using voice over IP which is pure data? idk, im just thinking aloud, im not a tech guy but i know a bit.

QUESTION:
so would i be able to use skypes calling feature over 3g on the cdma vigin mobile optimus v?
i appreciate any help and comments :D

Virgin uses the same network as Sprint because Sprint owns them so if you're having problems with your current service, look elsewhere.

The iI is an iDen phone which runs on the former Nextel iDen network, not CDMA. You will get MUCH better service with a CDMA phone as opposed to an iDen phone. iDen is a seriously antiquated technology.

Reactions: jmleon92
Upvote 0
The iI is an iDen phone which runs on the former Nextel iDen network, not CDMA. You will get MUCH better service with a CDMA phone as opposed to an iDen phone. iDen is a seriously antiquated technology.

Yes he's right^^^^ i will soon find out what a difference there will be on cdma from what i had on the iDen.
anyone know anything about the whole skype on 3g voice thing?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones