• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Pixilated YouTube

I have noticed That even on high quality, YouTube videos are pixilated. I assume this is because of the resolution of the device. Any work around/fix for this?

Are you running on 3g or wifi/4g? On 3g even with HQ turned on it is still pretty grainy for me. On wifi (since the great state of AZ has not a drop of 4g yet) it is pretty clear and I wouldn't call it pixelated.

Reactions: JonathanWhitey
Upvote 0
It's pretty dumb that the standard of hq is different for 3g

I agree, I think it is lame as well. If I had to guess, this is because of how the Youtube app handles loading. My guess is that it renders only 'most' of the HQ video at the point you are at then starts playing it in a semi hq-ish setting. If you were to let the entire video load before playing it, it may actually look as good as if it were on wifi. But that's if you have 8 hours to render a 30 second video:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones