• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Quick question re: future OTA updates & root

KOAM

Aug 1, 2011
Southern Cali.
Apologies because I have a feeling this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything through a search.. probably because the search terms are so basic.

I just rooted my S3 (4.3 stock) and am going to keep it on the stock rom, but I want to know if/when the official KitKat OTA update comes, is it safe to update as usual? It's fine if it unroots as I'm sure there will be a way to root it again, but I want to be sure it's not something to avoid right away.

Thanks very much.

MopedRyder is 100% correct. Once the OTA drops, simply flash the 4.3 Odin tar to get back to 100% stock unrooted(this process will wipe your internal memory so back up your files on your PC), then get the OTA, and root and flash or whatever you want. If you don't care about your warranty and Knox, KitKat update is already available through Sprint and works fine on our phones.

Upvote 0
MopedRyder is 100% correct. Once the OTA drops, simply flash the 4.3 Odin tar to get back to 100% stock unrooted(this process will wipe your internal memory so back up your files on your PC), then get the OTA, and root and flash or whatever you want. If you don't care about your warranty and Knox, KitKat update is already available through Sprint and works fine on our phones.

Or you could just flash the stock recovery(don't know if it has to be specific to mk5 or if it can be from earlier 'just ask JD single, but after that you should be able to take the ota, I had to use this method when accepting ota's for the nvidia shield

Upvote 0
JDsingle76: I'm on stock mk5 and have yet to flash any roms. I want to receive the kitkat ota when it finally comes. I have philz 6 latest version 6.41.6 custom recovery. Is there just way to flash the stock recovery, so kitkat ota will work correctly. Flashing your mk5 4.3 do this for me?? Of course will continue to read the postings, just wanted to ask an expert on this posting.

thx, Steve

Upvote 0
JDsingle76: I'm on stock mk5 and have yet to flash any roms. I want to receive the kitkat ota when it finally comes. I have philz 6 latest version 6.41.6 custom recovery. Is there just way to flash the stock recovery, so kitkat ota will work correctly. Flashing your mk5 4.3 do this for me?? Of course will continue to read the postings, just wanted to ask an expert on this posting.

thx, Steve

Thanks for the remarks but I assure you I'm no expert. You have to be on stock recovery to take the KK ota and the only way to get that is to flash the stock mk5 tar. Here's the link.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2746294

Reactions: KOAM and tigerstv44
Upvote 0
So I've flashed the mk5 stock tar and am back to stock. Before i went back to stock, I copied the KK update i received to my SD card, is there a way to install this through stock recovery? So far it fails when I try when it is checking the current system, something about a .ko file not having the expected contents and an error 7.
I have not rerooted yet.

Upvote 0
So I've flashed the mk5 stock tar and am back to stock. Before i went back to stock, I copied the KK update i received to my SD card, is there a way to install this through stock recovery? So far it fails when I try when it is checking the current system, something about a .ko file not having the expected contents and an error 7.
I have not rerooted yet.

If you can upload the zip file, we may be able to make a version that is flashable via custom recovery.

Reactions: sanjuro77
Upvote 0
Right on, thanks. It's uploading now. I'll edit this with the link when it's up.

I guess that would help others that don't want to wait for the update to show up again!

Here's the update file, mk5 to nd8 ~

http://d-h.st/XnO

Can you find out exactly what the error message says? I'm starting to think that once Knox is tripped it won't flash.

Upvote 0
Can you find out exactly what the error message says? I'm starting to think that once Knox is tripped it won't flash.

Well that would suck, considering the only reason I allowed Knox on my phone to begin with was to upgrade to KK.

I think the message said lib.modules.dhd.ko didn't have the expected contents while checking the current system. It only lasts on the screen for about a second.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'll have to give this a shot today. It doesn't matter that I don't have a Nexus¿

No. That was written when nexus first got the kk ota. I've read of others getting it to work that way after getting an error from getting it ota.

My S3 already has the Sprint KK ND8 boot loader so unfortunately I can't test this myself or I would. Good luck to anyone who gives it a go.

Reactions: sanjuro77
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Meaning there isn't an actual Knox app present in the drawer. The Knox boot loader is there for sure, since it's showing a flag in download mode. Just no app. My gf's s4 has a Knox app so I assumed I should too.
I was running the Knox-free mk5 beforehand.

Right now I'm connected to Kies seeing if it'll get me there. It failed once but now seems to be working (fingers crossed).

On a side note, why is Kies so unpredictable? Had to plug in 5 times before it decided it needed to reinstall its drivers.

Reactions: peter counias
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones