1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root [Virgin Mobile] Removed data throttle!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chrisgreenwx, Mar 21, 2014.

1. chrisgreenwx

chrisgreenwx Lurker

It seems to be until you reboot you must perform this trick. I running the midnight rom if that makes a difference here which it may. First get Check out
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jumobile.manager.systemapp
    Next is hardest the phone has to be on 3g but still have LTE enabled, for those of you in well covered LTE areas this probably won't work.
    Now when on 3g only open root app uninstaller and remove Samsung DM service and then com.sec.MSC.nts.android.proxy
    You should now be throttle free on 3g and LTE until you reboot. When you reboot restore the two apps in app remover and then start from the beginning.

Hope this helps someone else!

Advertisement

2. iMaYG

iMaYG Android Enthusiast

any verification? why is samsung DM service safe to remove?

3. iMaYG

iMaYG Android Enthusiast

only skeptical because this is your first post......

4. Warrior94

Warrior94 Member

I suppose you may be able to freeze it with Titanium back up pro

5. iMaYG

iMaYG Android Enthusiast

i dont have the pro version lol. if someone tries this, let us know

6. chrisgreenwx

chrisgreenwx Lurker

Ya sorry its my first post. I can do some speed test screenshots or something to prove it works hopefully the devs can figure out what this method temporarily breaks and they can write a startup script. I do t have any android Dev skills though so I won't be working on that

7. chrisgreenwx

chrisgreenwx Lurker

Here are a couple screenshots.
    1395494465893.jpg
    1395494474120.jpg

8. mattstout404

mattstout404 Newbie

Okay. I'm gonna say two things and take them for whatever they're worth:

One - if you get your MSL, you can type ##data# and remove the proxies yourself (guide here), so installing this app is a little sketchy to me especially since the screenshots don't actually show much.

Two - this has been discussed before and blocking a proxy or removing something on the device itself won't do very much, since Virgin Mobile can still see everything youre doing no matter what you do, as stated here (the guide to blocking is in this thread too)

I'll also add that I dual booted a Linux distro off of an lte tablet, and it still charged my data plan for stuff (even though there was none of the apps or proxies installed).

Just thought we shouldn't go nuts installing apps without all the facts.

chrisgreenwx and sean19661 like this.
  9. iMaYG

iMaYG Android Enthusiast

Btw without Samsung DM service, a lot of things would not work on the phone..

10. sean19661

sean19661 Android Enthusiast

This is a good read. Ty

11. craig71200

craig71200 Well-Known Member

Use root browser/explorer to open Data folder, System folder, Throttle folder.... Delete it.

12. Piznick64

Piznick64 Android Enthusiast

like?

13. chrisgreenwx

chrisgreenwx Lurker

I haven't noticed any instability or anything that doesn't work since I have done this hack. Has anyone else had any success?

14. chrisgreenwx

chrisgreenwx Lurker

This method did not work on my s3 the folder actually doesn't exist and I can't get any permissions in the system folder for some reason anyway.

15. craig71200

craig71200 Well-Known Member

I'm using liquid Smooth

16. chrisgreenwx

chrisgreenwx Lurker

I used liquid smooth for a while this method does not work on LS. I couldn't break the throttle on LS. I'm sure its possible we just have to figure out exactly what happens when you uninstall the two apps. Maybe alogcat? Idk I'm a developer but not for android, so I don't know the best route to making this permanent or even figure out why it works.

17. iMaYG

iMaYG Android Enthusiast

On tw Roms, without DM service, none of the update services work (prl,profile,etc) and my phone could not find a cell signal until I unfroze the service

18. chrisgreenwx

chrisgreenwx Lurker

Did you do it on midnight ROM? That's the only one I have had success with other Roms just search for signal. I did a 15 Mbps speed test this morning so it is definetly working on mine. I have not tried update services this is probably true.

19. iMaYG

iMaYG Android Enthusiast

i did this on jdsingle's deodexed stock 4.3 tw rom

20. chrisgreenwx

chrisgreenwx Lurker

As long as everyone understands not to remove the apps but to backup them so they can restore them if it causes problems it should be safe to try not hurting anything on your device if it doesn't work. If there anything I can run on my phone to help prove to you it worked or how it worked please let me know.

21. EricH4753

EricH4753 Android Enthusiast

Can we freeze the apps instead of uninstalling them? has anyone else tried this on the midnight rom?

22. EricH4753

EricH4753 Android Enthusiast

Well it sounds like if you remove the samsung dm service it messes with your notification and sounds, has anyone tried OP's method? I'm getting a replacement phone so I'll try it soon.