• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Request for ROM

PS4AndroidHacker

Feb 27, 2014
Barberton, OH
Hey guys. I'm running a Virgin Mobile S3 with CyanogenMod 11. I simply wanted to make a request of you great ROM builders. Now with the Galaxy S5 out and Galaxy S4 running official Android 4.4, could somebody possibly put together an Android 4.4 touchwiz ROM for the Sprint or Virgin Mobile variant phones? I know nothing about building ROMs but have knowledge on rooting and running the ROMs. Any help is greatly appreciated!
P.S. I was thinking if we could get a ROM dump from an official 4.4 Galaxy S4 or S5, it may benefit us. Idk. Just an idea.

Hey guys. I'm running a Virgin Mobile S3 with CyanogenMod 11. I simply wanted to make a request of you great ROM builders. Now with the Galaxy S5 out and Galaxy S4 running official Android 4.4, could somebody possibly put together an Android 4.4 touchwiz ROM for the Sprint or Virgin Mobile variant phones? I know nothing about building ROMs but have knowledge on rooting and running the ROMs. Any help is greatly appreciated!
P.S. I was thinking if we could get a ROM dump from an official 4.4 Galaxy S4 or S5, it may benefit us. Idk. Just an idea.

The S3 was supposed to get 4.4. Some people claim to got the update. Not us yet. Either way you'll probably have to wait.

Upvote 0
It may happen but most likely it would be labeled as a port first since the s4 or s5 most likely have a few different things hardware wise or software wise

Also cyanogen is built directly from android source code cm11 is android 4.4 they just added there stuff to it, and tweaked the code around, one of the reasons a stock ROM usually never performs as good as a custom one

According to the screenshots I've seen online from an electronics show the s3 was labeled to start getting 4.4 march-april, so by the end of this month you'll hopefully get some news on it

Whether or not we get an official one may be up to virgin mobile tho, they can actually decline the update in which case no one would have an official VM version

Or they can even purposely block it as they did with my previous device

My previous device was a triumph, when I purchased it originally from VM main site it had the badge that said will be upgraded to gingerbread, that never happened, after some research online I came across an article stating android contacted VM multiple times and told them a single piece of there software was all that was stopping the update so if they were to change it they could roll out gingerbread

VM response was nah we ain't changing it, which cause the triumph to officially stay on froyo even tho the phone itself wasn't released by VM till gingerbread was already out and ice cream sandwich was actually just rolling out as well lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones