• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [ROM] 8/1 Slim & Stock-ish Rooted ROM

punkmaxx

Android Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2011
West Virginia
Punkmaxx's Stock-ish & Slimmed VM SGS3 Rooted ROM (odexed)

8/1 (sorry its not much):
A Few small Speed Tweaks
1% BATTERY mod W/ CHARGING ANIMATION
SUPER FAST STATUS BAR!
Ultimate AD Blocking

Messaging App (SecMms.apk) MODs:
Added Screen on option
Added Signature option
Added Vibration Option
Added Split-View on Landscape option

more responsive status bar
07/05
Fuly De-odexed!
07/02 Uploaded a Slimmer Version...
Also Added AOSP DeskClock.apk (I missed shake to snooze)
Removed More Bloat

Okay so I finally got a working version of my stock-ish rooted ROM to have full use of the radios by replacing some of the libs and firmware files....​

I've tested it...
It boots
3g works
4g works!!!
Wi-fi works
mms works
sms works
Everything should be essentially good to go.... I took a few bloatware apps out but nothing you cant download again from the play store...​

I don't think screenshots are needed cause you all know what it looks like.... :p

Instructions:
Boot to recovery
Format /system, /data, /cache
Flash ZIP in CWM Recovery
Reboot
ENJOY!

628MB - De-Odexed​

Original (outdated) DOWNLOAD
765MB - Odexed​

You go man . I liked your odin file the modem an the stock all file good work!!!

Thanks for all your support, I don't know a huge amount about androids... That's why its nice to get in in the ground floor of a phone thread, cause I can actually be kinda helpful.... As soon as CM 10 & 10.1 Dev picks up it'll be a bit over my head.... I appreciate the feedback a lot, and I'm glad i can help :D

Upvote 0
Just finished testing on my way to work in DC... EVERYTHING WORKS!! even 4g!

camera,bluethooth... what about msl code reading?

Edit: while i am at it all those annoying things like the volume auto turning down when headphone port is in use and music is played. allshare always turning on settings>more settings>allshare cast menu either is is auto oning itself or it never stays off.

Upvote 0
camera,bluethooth... what about msl code reading?

Edit: while i am at it all those annoying things like the volume auto turning down when headphone port is in use and music is played. allshare always turning on settings>more settings>allshare cast menu either is is auto oning itself or it never stays off.

EVERYTHING that works on stock works on this ROM... (Its almost identical) This is just a base for which to start customizing.... I have not fixed any annoying touchwiz problems...

This is a STOCK ROM... Nothing more....

Upvote 0
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does this ROM come with a bootloader?

I forget whether the bootloader and the ROM are always packaged together on the GS3, but if I had to guess, I'd guess that's not the case...

The reason I'm asking is CM10.1 needs a JB bootloader, which I'm pretty sure our stock version doesn't have. I was wondering if maybe you changed the bootloader (if that's even possible) so that we could install CM10.1 after installing this version of stock.

Upvote 0
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does this ROM come with a bootloader?

I forget whether the bootloader and the ROM are always packaged together on the GS3, but if I had to guess, I'd guess that's not the case...

The reason I'm asking is CM10.1 needs a JB bootloader, which I'm pretty sure our stock version doesn't have. I was wondering if maybe you changed the bootloader (if that's even possible) so that we could install CM10.1 after installing this version of stock.

Nope, (and there is no such thing as a dumb question), this ROM only includes our VM Stock kernel and the /system partition.
Usually the bootloader is only packed with manufacturer device updates.

Upvote 0
Nope, (and there is no such thing as a dumb question), this ROM only includes our VM Stock kernel and the /system partition.
Usually the bootloader is only packed with manufacturer device updates.

thanks punk...though that is upsetting. seems like the Evo V was way easier with regards to bootloaders. what a pain....but what can you do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones