• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [ROM][MK5][STOCK][ODEXED/DEODEXED]- Virgin Mobile/Boost Mobile

jdsingle76

Android Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2012
TN
ROM][MK5][STOCK][ODEXED/DEODEXED]- Virgin Mobile/Boost Mobile Alright folks, we're up and running. Just as the title says, this is the MK5 Boost/Virgin Mobile 4.3 update in flashable zip. Stock, zipaligned, basic. More to come in the future, but this should be enough to keep you busy for awhile. Enjoy.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for whatever you do with your phone. Please flash at your own risk!

PLEASE READ!
I've made a few changes to the wording of the OP, based on my own personal observations from running this build. This ROM is unrooted, even though it has the su and busybox "guts" in the build. Future builds will have all this cleaned up. In the meantime, when flashing, you must flash the SuperSU Update listed in the flashing instructions to regain root. Simple, I know. Just thought I'd let you know! Enjoy. Please visit the OP and read through the threads if you have issues that haven't been addressed here. Chances are they've been expressed and answered already [ROM][MK5][STOCK][ODEXED/DEODEXED]- Virgin Mobile/Boost Mobile - xda-developers
Google, Samsung, XDA

EVERYONE PLEASE READ

If you are experiencing WiFi issues or any data problems, you may have an older modem from a previous build (MD7, MG2, etc) that isn't playing nice with MK5. In that case, it is recommended that you flash the MK5 modem to fix any WiFi, 3G, 4G issues!

If WiFi issues persist, please flash the WiFi fix for MK5 and see if that clears it up before reporting issues.

If you are experiencing any other issues
after install and you did not WIPE SYSTEM, DATA, CACHE, and DALVIK CACHE before install, please do so and see if that clears up your issues. A clean install is not always necessary but any issue cannot be considered an issue of the ROM if a clean install has not first been attempted as a resolution.

Upvote 0
Known Facts About KNOX:

• Upgrading to newer Samsung firmware MK5 will upgrade the bootloader to KNOX bootloader. this will give an additional 2 lines in download mode about KNOX status.
  • Not possible to downgrade to KNOX-disabled firmwares/bootloaders without tripping the KNOX flag (An attempt sets 0x1) (even though some people state, downgrade is possible when omitting the bootloader file in a firmware package: see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2444671, not confirmed)
  • Even if you flash a KNOX-enabled firmware via Odin (e.g. the latest fw) Knox will be set to 0x1
  • Flashing unsigned or modified images via Odin will set KNOX to 0x1
  • Once the KNOX flag gets set to 0x1 there is no way to set it back (that anyone has found yet anyway!) Samsung stated, resetting the flag is impossible
  • KNOX is mandatory and can not be completely removed (yet)
  • Warranty Void is no counter, it is a flag (0,1) it was never seen 0x2 or so
  • Mirroring all partitions from a clean 0x0-Device to a 0x1-Device via JTAG produces an unfunctional device (reversible by restoring the 0x1 partitions on the phone)
  • KNOX bootloader verifies signatures of kernels and recoveries. No custom ones possible without voiding the KNOX warranty
  • If the KNOX warranty void line says 0x1 then you cannot use KNOX software as your device has been flagged as insecure. By this I mean that if your workplace / company supports bring your own device to work for corporate emails etc and they use KNOX to keep security your device will not allow this. You are still able to use future Samsung firmware releases with the KNOX flag 0x1.
  • with the new KNOX bootloader root will work, however rooting will trip the KNOX flag

Thanks for that! Samsung may be right but saying impossible are for the ones who don't try hard enough! Everything's possible. Just wait for the right technology to come and soon we will not have to worry.

Upvote 0
Nice work!
To be clear, this looks like it does not have the Knox apps but does have the Knox bootloader. Correct?

Also, I suggest you make a new thread for this :)

Yes that is correct everything knox gone on mine but on the other you have to flash the knox remover zip. I could try and make a flashable zip for Virgin Mobile users to install instead of whole conversion.

Upvote 0
So basically we can flash this and have root and go on with our lives, and never go back down to 4.1.2?

Mine has knox apps removed. The other you flash the knox remover zip which would remove the knox apps. If you have downgraded the flashed the OTA.zip then you have the new knox bootloader if you didn't do that than your fine. You can flash this like you did your roms before the TW 4.3 came out and not have to worry about bricking your phone. Because this doesn't change the bootloader.

Reactions: upconvert
Upvote 0
Everything works great for me but it gives me a notification saying preparing network and never connected to the data network also superuser says root binaries not installed. Have any ideas? P.s. thank you for bringing us the update without the b.s. knox

same issue here... updated ..looks good but wifi will not enable and it continues "preparing network" there is no superuser binary included.. i can not force stop the samsung DM (preparing network app) and i don't have root..

there are people in this thread who are confusing the question.. clearly the knox apps are included until removed by flashing the zip.

***Does this include the knox bootloader? can i run a system restore to my old 4.1.2.. i don't have data with this ROM??****
No..it clearly states the boot loader has been removed from this...

i also tried mopedryders apn fix...still no go....

***edit.. I didn't read the xda post fully... WiFi and root was fixed by the flashable zips...

If u still have data errors ...and I did....change network to cdma only and restart the phone...the preparing network completes and I finally got the "android update completed" msg...I then switched back to lte and rebooted...all is well...everything works...

Upvote 0
Yes that is correct everything knox gone on mine but on the other you have to flash the knox remover zip. I could try and make a flashable zip for Virgin Mobile users to install instead of whole conversion.

@StaticMaal, this is not entirely accurate bro. Knox bootloader has been removed in my build as well. The app remover just gets rid of all the Knox apps that come with the update. The rom itself has had the bootloader removed. :)

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, I was not aware there there was a dedicated post to my build over here, or I would have stopped in more and helped where I could. Here's the skinny. My rom(the one StaticMaal linked to in the op, does NOT have the knox bootloader and will NOT install it on your phone. The Knox app remover is just that, and put in as a precaution in the event I missed something. The wifi fix with MK5 modem(both also in the OP) should clear up any wifi issues. Try clearing your browser's cache and data in settings/app manager/all/whatever your default browser is. If you follow the OP to the tee, you will be golden. I've been running it since I built it with zero issues. If you have issues, please post them in the XDA thread since I'm over there alot more. Enjoy :)

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, I was not aware there there was a dedicated post to my build over here, or I would have stopped in more and helped where I could. Here's the skinny. My rom(the one StaticMaal linked to in the op, does NOT have the knox bootloader and will NOT install it on your phone. The Knox app remover is just that, and put in as a precaution in the event I missed something. The wifi fix with MK5 modem(both also in the OP) should clear up any wifi issues. Try clearing your browser's cache and data in settings/app manager/all/whatever your default browser is. If you follow the OP to the tee, you will be golden. I've been running it since I built it with zero issues. If you have issues, please post them in the XDA thread since I'm over there alot more. Enjoy :)

Thank you for the input. Hope this clears up some confusion now :)

Upvote 0
@StaticMaal, this is not entirely accurate bro. Knox bootloader has been removed in my build as well. The app remover just gets rid of all the Knox apps that come with the update. The rom itself has had the bootloader removed. :)
Sorry I should have worded it more carefully. You have to flash the knox apps remover I didn't mean to say his has the knox bootloader. Thanks for correcting me I will change the wording.

Reactions: TheBritton
Upvote 0
I flashed it the Knox app are already removed the WiFi works fine with out the fix but you still need to flash in root !! An now there is a deodexed Rom for us on his page!!
And I flashed it threw our old recovery 6.0.2.8 an it works fine !!!

Awesome to hear it's working. And thanks for the methodology. As they say, YMMV :)

Reactions: peter counias
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones