1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Virgin Mobile] SG3 screen wont turn on issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tigerstv44, Feb 9, 2014.

1. tigerstv44

tigerstv44 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 5, 2012
    Male
    Couch Potato
    WASHINGTON STATE
    I'll be texting or using my SG3 and then after some use, will hear my notification whistle. Screen has turned off and will go to check my message and screen wont turn on. Both home screen button and power button wont turn on screen. I have to pull battery and reboot. No matter how many times push both buttons. I just received replacement SG3 thinking had defective model, once speaking with Virgin Mobile. This one does the same thing.

Any fixes or options on the phone that would fix this issue, that someone else has come across.

thanks for any help

Advertisement

2. papa b

papa b Member
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    USA
    You probably need to do a full wipe and reinstall. I know what you're talking about. It's a system/kernel crash. When you're trying to restart with the power button the phone is actually still shutting down.

It will eventually let you start up after several minutes. If you have the right vibrate settings, it'll vibrate when it's done.

In the meantime, if you hold the power button for a long time, as in 10-15 FULL seconds, it will "force" a shut down. You may not see anything. If you leave the phone plugged in to power then you'll see the battery charging icon for second then it may go off again. Be patient and press the home button every 5 seconds or so. When the it causes the battery icon to pop up, the phone is off.

These ROMs are still being developed. This starts happening to me when I either try to do two or more things that cause heavy background processing or install too many apps that probably aren't very well written. I suppose that things will get better as they dial in the kernel(s).

3. tigerstv44

None

Oct 5, 2012
    Male
    Couch Potato
    WASHINGTON STATE
    So do you mean factory reset. This things like brand new, I know its a return and checked over. But I've had like less than a week. They walked me thru activation and even my 16gb sandisk sd card still empty. I'm not restarting the phone, I just go to turn screen on seeing blue notification light and it wont turn screen on. Either with home button or power button. So again, do factory reset. I am new at this and not sure what you mean by reinstall.

4. papa b

papa b Member
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    USA
    Are you running stock, stock/rooted, or a custom ROM?

As far as factory reset, that's not what will happen with power button stuff I mentioned . Pressing and holding it for a long time is like removing then reinstalling the battery.

Please post your current ROM, Kernel, root, etc. I assumed you were rooted...

5. tigerstv44

None

Oct 5, 2012
    Male
    Couch Potato
    WASHINGTON STATE
    Nope, my bad luck it already had update to 4.3. But I have yet to install the philztouch 6 that had on previous sg3. This is stock 4.3 and have not yet flashed a recovery or any roms what so ever. I'm guessing since 4.3 that it has the dreaded knox already for sure. But have done nothing to the phone yet.

6. mudflap2020

mudflap2020 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 20, 2013
    Male
    Is power savings on or do you have things downloading on your phone while this happens, if so this is normal and a performance and resource management thing, you can wait it out or hold the power button till the screen turns off, doing this will reboot the phone, and by resource management you can test this out by downloading anything on the play store and test the responsiveness of the status bar. Or the bar you pull down to see your notifications it gets very choppy, this in turn can freeze your phone up a lot and cause it so not turn on temporarily, if none of these are the case then you probably should get a replacement or root, overclock it, or flash your rom but deodexed, see if that helps, other than that I don't know

tigerstv44 likes this.
  7. papa b

papa b Member
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    USA
    OK. It's not a real big deal but remember that this is the all things root forum so I just assumed... which I was my mistake.

Next time it happens, try just holding it for several minutes, hopefully while still connected to power. You should see more symptoms.

If you're still 100% stock then you probably have a user app problem.

tigerstv44 likes this.
  8. TheBritton

TheBritton Resident Galaxy Cat
    None

Oct 9, 2011
    Male
    Radio DJ & Production Director, NWS Certified Skyw
    Amarillo, TX
    Are you underclocking by any chance?

Edit: never mind I see you're on stock :)