• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [SPH-L710][CWM ADV.] OFFICIAL PhilZ-Touch Recovery 6.0 [11.24.13]

jdsingle76

Android Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2012
TN
icon1.gif
[SPH-L710][CWM ADV.] OFFICIAL PhilZ-Touch Recovery 6.0 [11.24.13]

Confirmed working for Sprint, VM, and Boost Mobile variants

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what you do with your phone. Please flash at your own risk
smile.gif

I can not take any credit for this, only sharing a GREAT resource that was shared with me. Please be sure to thank @Cnexus for letting me link his SPH-L710 PhilZ OP and of course, @Phil3759, for making such a great recovery.

For those who have yet to experience PhilZ Touch Recovery, it is a CWM-Advanced Edition that adds all the features you could ever miss in CWM. It is a well proven recovery for many phones

Main thread + features + install instructions + dev support(Phil3759):
Link

Link to SPH-L710 OP(CNexus):
Link

Download links:
Link

Install Instructions
1. Flash using your current recovery and then do a "reboot recovery" to get into Philz Touch!

Enjoy
cool.gif

Reactions: jon4747
Forum leaders, I've had total, painless success until this happened. Plenty of good news here as well though. Please spread the word. Thx

Me = Philz, MK5 ODEXED, KNOX FREE (thanks jd, and Semper Fi while I'm at it... 91-99). DKP kernel, just flashed today... no tools yet.

I've been a root user for a few years, but always stock. I've had zero problems (this phone) all the way up through flashing my very first kernel today. EVERYTHING I've used or done came from this community... including my choice of files and steps taken.

This is a generic issue (and simple) but took me hours to solve. Mods/experts please forward to dev. if appropriate.

Before I flashed the kernel l did a nandroid. Right after the flash, another nandroid. I then put them both in a NEW folder which I put INSIDE CWM's "backup" folder. My default path is to extSd.

I then flashed struckn's CM11 and Gapps... Flawless install, although I didn't start the VM mod's/fixes yet.

Then attempted to flash Carbon... It needed asserts changed (as expected) so I went to restore the last TW 4.3 and COULD NOT SELECT PAST THE NEW FOLDER (inside "backup".

Eventually I used Aroma to copy it "Up One" which was simple but took me hours to think of. Worked perfectly after that so "hard lesson learned"... It also took a long time to copy in Aroma... At least 15 minutes.

More details,

It would select the folder and wait for "confirm" but obviously fail to restore anything.

"emulated/0/legacy/etc" changes ate going to confuse many, especially using Aroma as it will only show files in these folders via one (out of many) paths to that folder. A lot of people are going to be convinced that they've lost files... I was...

Note that there are at least three ways to navigate to a backup in Philz and several other options as well... Nothing in restore could even see anything but the folder. Flash/Zip could actually see the backups but wouldn't do anything with them...

Prior to each flash I cleared cache and dalvik. Prior to each new ROM I ALSO used/performed a factory reset AND "Clean for NEW".... After all that, there were still a lot of files present/visible in Aroma - appearing, at least, to be in root.

Off topic stuff,

After flashing the dkp kernel the CWM naming convention for the next nandroid was CORRECT (waaaat???) which is awesome all-by-itself...

Nandroid of fresh CM11+Gapps (thanks struckn and Merry Christmas to you as well) only took a little over two minutes... Thanks for putting that together and sharing. Very clean, fast and ready. I can't believe it's on My phone...

Sorry for going long... Just want to capture as much as I can before it fades. I'll try to trim and relocate some of this as things develop.

Best forum I've seen in a decade...

Reactions: struckn
Upvote 0
Thanks for the detailed analysis. Overall, PhilZ is a complex beast, but IMHO, well worth the time it takes to learn how to navigate it. If you want your mind blown, and haven't done so already, check out PhilZ OP on the recovery and check out just how versatile this recovery is. Thanks again for the work, and Semper Fi to your brother. Keep your eyes peeled for a new custom kernel hopefully sometime soon....teasing isn't nice, I know...but it'll give you flashoholics something to look forward to :)

Upvote 0
As always, thank you both for your service! I have always just let Philz choose the default pathway and folders when I need to make a backup, the only thing I specify is internal or external storage. Don't know if this is part of what papa b encountered when creating his own folder. And to reiterate JD's post, thank you papa b for the detailed post. Looking forward to interacting with you on the forums! Happy to hear you are enjoying things here so far!

Upvote 0
Thanks to both of you. You've not only taken us to another level you've linked us to the biggest resources in the community.

As far as that XDA thread goes, I've read it. I'm not an expert but he's covering a lot of bases and doing it well. Those extra's are designed to be and even create cross compatability. I see an easy muti-boot possibility in the future. Packages, wrappers, knox , BYOD.... It's all about having a secure enterprise phone and a personal device in the same package. I honestly think that android will someday dwarf OS's as we know them. It's like the 80's all over again but with thousands of thinking minds working together instead of two or three trying keep secrets.

Upvote 0
New version of Philz Touch available, he posted it on 12/28/2013. Thanks to forum member @wyelkins for the initial post on the Boost forums. Looks like Phil is using a temporary folder on MediaFire instead of his normal DevHost for this one, so the link is only available from the main thread, not the Sprint specific thread. You will want the d2spr version as always, there is a .zip available and a .tar available; the .zip should be all you need if you are already on Philz, just flash from recovery.

Philz Touch version 6.0.7.9 d2spr

Reactions: ajnycguy
Upvote 0
New version of Philz Touch available, he posted it on 12/28/2013. Thanks to forum member @wyelkins for the initial post on the Boost forums. Looks like Phil is using a temporary folder on MediaFire instead of his normal DevHost for this one, so the link is only available from the main thread, not the Sprint specific thread. You will want the d2spr version as always, there is a .zip available and a .tar available; the .zip should be all you need if you are already on Philz, just flash from recovery.

Philz Touch version 6.0.7.9 d2spr

Change Log for anyone interested:

Link to original thread on XDA. Change Log in post #5.

- Credit goes to @Phil3759

6.07.8 (28.12.2013)
- fix exiting "pause on logs" mode with virtual keys caused erroneous validation
- fix exiting screen off mode with hardware key could cause erroneous validations
- fix some devices could not exit "pause on logs" mode with screen touch
- bring immediate touch responsiveness after exiting screen off mode and "pause on logs" mode
- fix erroneous first menu validation when exiting screen off mode on some devices
- fix long press and move action could be triggered while swiping outside menus and returning to first touched area
- increase threshold for long press and move action for easier triggering
- small touch scroll optimizations
- improve touch responsiveness on low res devices
- code clean-up and optimization
- fix log text could overwrite clock/battery icons on some low res devices
- after successful zip install with sideload, hide the install background icon
- after installing zip with sideload, do not trigger "pause on logs" mode
- loki: sync latest sources (support LG G2 VS98012b)
- New: HTC One Verizon (m7vzw)
- New: Galaxy Note 3 International, Sprint and TMO (now built with cm-11.0 device tree and kernel)
- New: Galaxy S Relay 4G - SGH-T699 (apexqtmo)
- New: LG G Pad 8.3 (v500)
- New: Samsung Galaxy Premier I9260 (superior)
- New: Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 I9200 - SGH-i527 (meliusltexx)
- New: Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 i9150 (melius3gxx)
- New: Galaxy S i9000 support (galaxysmtd) : still needs cat /proc/mtd to add in extra.fstab
- New: Galaxy S3 verizon - SGH-I535 (d2vzw)

Upvote 0
Check out this find from forum member @wyelkins, it is an app called Andromizer with a ton of features including integration with Philz Touch! Just downloaded, haven't really played around with it yet, but looks like one of the Philz related features is the ability to do a one-touch backup from the Andromizer app as well as name the file in advance, just like TWRP (there is TWRP integration in the app as well, by the way).

http://androidforums.com/boost-mobile-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/772094-working-roms-mods-kernels-modems-ect-boost-s3-15.html#post6358274

Update: Just ran the one-touch backup option in Andromizer, looks like it works as promised. Only thing is that it backed up to internal storage by default, will have to see if there is a way to change to external, as that is my normal backup location. Probably will buy the "donate" version just because the entire list of features unlocked looks amazing!

Reactions: ajnycguy
Upvote 0
Does anyone know how i can transfer my nandroid backups to my computer, and vice-versa?

The backups you make with philz will show up in the clockworkmod folder, if you have a sd card as well then where that folder is depends on which backup you choose, sd card is internal memory and sd card 1 is ur sd card (at least usually)

Ex. You choose backup to sd card then when you plug the phone in search for the clockworkmod folder in internal memory
you choose backup to sd card 1 when you plug it in search sd card for the clockworkmod folder

Then just plug the phone into a pc and copy the backups

Reactions: wolfdemon268
Upvote 0
Help me pick an updated version. Do I want D2spr or D2lte?
I followed a link from jdsingle's stock 4.3 thread for updating your recovery to Philz, and it lead me here:

[d2lte/d2spr][CWM ADV.] OFFICIAL PhilZ-Touch Recovery 6.25.70[3.29.14] - xda-developers

None of those would install via zip through recovery, and they are all called D2lte.

I then stumbled on this thread which had some older versions of of Philz linked, and was able to install 6.00.8 with the D2spr ending.

Was I unable to install the D2lte because it's the wrong recovery, or because my old CWM wouldn't allow it? Now that I'm on 6.00.8 D2spr, can I update to 6.25.0 D2lte? Or do I just stick with the D2spr version?

From what I can tell, all the specific codenames have converged onto a single unified name of D2lte, but none of this really makes any sense to me. Help me understand what's going on here.

EDIT:

I can't seem to install 6.25.0 D2lte from my recovery. I am currently on Philz 6.00.8 and it failed the same way it did with CWM. What about the 6.25.0D2spr? I'll probably try that one before anyone provides any feedback, but I may as well ask it anyway.

Upvote 0
Help me pick an updated version. Do I want D2spr or D2lte?
I followed a link from jdsingle's stock 4.3 thread for updating your recovery to Philz, and it lead me here:

[d2lte/d2spr][CWM ADV.] OFFICIAL PhilZ-Touch Recovery 6.25.70[3.29.14] - xda-developers

None of those would install via zip through recovery, and they are all called D2lte.

I then stumbled on this thread which had some older versions of of Philz linked, and was able to install 6.00.8 with the D2spr ending.

Was I unable to install the D2lte because it's the wrong recovery, or because my old CWM wouldn't allow it? Now that I'm on 6.00.8 D2spr, can I update to 6.25.0 D2lte? Or do I just stick with the D2spr version?

From what I can tell, all the specific codenames have converged onto a single unified name of D2lte, but none of this really makes any sense to me. Help me understand what's going on here.

EDIT:

I can't seem to install 6.25.0 D2lte from my recovery. I am currently on Philz 6.00.8 and it failed the same way it did with CWM. What about the 6.25.0D2spr? I'll probably try that one before anyone provides any feedback, but I may as well ask it anyway.

LTE builds are universal for all S3 phones. Try to install the 6.15.4 spr build. It wont install with edits first due to assert lines. Here is the one off my phone the one I fixed / flashed:

philz_touch_6.15.4-d2spr

You can use that one just fine for about every rom - I have.

Edit: I just installed the 6.25.70 lte version - worked fine with no edits.

Reactions: Palmetto Fellow
Upvote 0
Thought I was going to try to live without rooting my phone. Lasted 2 weeks.
Rooted last night with no issues.

I will play with the recovery some more, but I can not seem to make a back up to my extSD card, only my internal. I'd much prefer to have it on the external so I don't lose so much space.
Used the philz_touch_6.00.8-d2spr.tar.md5 file for the recovery.

Is there a setting somewhere in the recovery to set the path for the extSD?

Upvote 0
LTE builds are universal for all S3 phones. Try to install the 6.15.4 spr build. It wont install with edits first due to assert lines. Here is the one off my phone the one I fixed / flashed:

philz_touch_6.15.4-d2spr

You can use that one just fine for about every rom - I have.

Edit: I just installed the 6.25.70 lte version - worked fine with no edits.

Is that an incremental update to 6.15? It's only 91K whereas my 6.00 is like 7MB.

Upvote 0
Thought I was going to try to live without rooting my phone. Lasted 2 weeks.
Rooted last night with no issues.

I will play with the recovery some more, but I can not seem to make a back up to my extSD card, only my internal. I'd much prefer to have it on the external so I don't lose so much space.
Used the philz_touch_6.00.8-d2spr.tar.md5 file for the recovery.

Is there a setting somewhere in the recovery to set the path for the extSD?

Had this same problem until I updated to the 6.25 d2lte build:

Goo.im Downloads - Downloading philz_touch_6.25.0-d2lte.tar.md5

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info.
I'll try the link you listed.
I guess the OP should be corrected as well as the rooting sticky for VM.
Followed the DL link and appears to link to old files....

Also looks like I can flash the zip in the current recovery to update to the new recovery?
The very few phones I've had you where not able to update the recovery from a recovery.

Upvote 0
Had this same problem until I updated to the 6.25 d2lte build:

Goo.im Downloads - Downloading philz_touch_6.25.0-d2lte.tar.md5
Found this file in a zip format.
philz_touch_6.25.0-d2lte.zip
Flashed the new recovery and and it worked shows it is updated.
It has a lot more backup options then the one that I originally installed.
Unfortunately it still does not work to my extSD card.
It tells me that it can not mount SDCard1.
I just bought this S3 and it came with 4.3

Screenshot_2014-04-12-21-51-57_zpsb34a190e.png

Reactions: Palmetto Fellow
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones