• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] cwm/cache question

zuul

Feb 18, 2013
so i'm always trying to free up space on my internal sd card. i use link to sd and i'm constantly clearing various cache's....

well... i was in cwm going to wipe the cache partition and i did the dalvik cache by accident...

what happened next was bizarre...

i rebooted the phone and i got a msg during boot... "updating android system" doh!

when my phone was restarted there was like almost 100mb more stuff on the phone than before... but i couldn't really find anything other than qttranslator that somehow reappeared... but oddly... not the app... just the data... i had to go to settings>storage>other in order to find it and zap it.

wtf? just happened? confused.

thx. :thinking:

Any time you wipe dalvik you will see the "Android system updating" notification, this is normal. You will need to re-link your apps dalvik-cache with Link2SD. Open Link2Sd and from the side menu (top left) tap the "Link dalvik-cache files" and you're good to go again.

dude. thanks. you rock. i appreciate the knowledge... and the quick reply.

just noticed some of those other items on the Link2SD side menu... is there anything else i should be doing as part of routine maintenance with the Link2SD tools?

thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the kind words. ;)

One other tip I can think of. If you use link2sd, it's best to use it to un-install linked apps. System and third-party apps don't clean out the linked data after un-installing the app. If you do use 'other' then you will need to use the 2nd partition or dalvik cache cleaning settings in link2sd side menu. That's what those two selections are for, if you were wondering. They clean residual data related to the app by link2sd if the app no longer exists.

Reactions: zuul and bkttk2
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones