• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] CWM Nandroid Backup Issues

NetSpeedZ

Android Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2012
Southwest
www.romwarez.com
I am currently having quite a few issues with restoring CWM Nandroid Backup's. I start the restore process and it gets to the data and fails. When the phone reboots, it asks questions that were asked when the original ROM was flashed.

I've restored a Nandroid Backup immediately after a reboot and get the same error.

I've run several diagnostics on the SD card and all come up with no errors.

Is there a way to 'manually' restore the files in a Nandroid Backup? If this were possible, it would save hours of rebuilding the phone to the state it was before the Nandroid Restore.

One is asking for trouble running a phone for any length of time without getting a backup.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

------------

Reflash CWM, and do the "Advanced Restore" feature.

PLEASE NOTE: MAKE SURE WHEN YOU BACK UP, YOU CHOOSE "Backup to External" option in the backup and restore menu.

I always backup to external as doing this on internal would use up all free memory.

Is your recommendation of Reflashing CWM and using 'Advanced Restore' feature from experience or and educated guess ?

------------

Upvote 0
My guess would be the data.tar.a file in the backup folder is corrupt. But doing an advanced restore would allow you to see if that is true, because advanced restore will allow you to restore only data if you choose to.

The reflash is to make sure CWM has all it's proper files for backing up and restoring data from/to the phone.

Upvote 0
My guess would be the data.tar.a file in the backup folder is corrupt. But doing an advanced restore would allow you to see if that is true, because advanced restore will allow you to restore only data if you choose to.

The reflash is to make sure CWM has all it's proper files for backing up and restoring data from/to the phone.

By not restoring data, what would I be missing with a restore?

It's been a while since I flashed CWM. I believe I performed this from my computer. Is there another way or is this currently the recommended way to flash CWM?

I did download and install Online Nandroid Backup, however, I have not built the courage up yet to try a restore as I've got hours into rebuilding the phone after the last Nandroid backup (done from CWM).

------------

Upvote 0
By not restoring data, what would I be missing with a restore? You will not have any of your settings, and apps you installed before the backup.

It's been a while since I flashed CWM. I believe I performed this from my computer. Is there another way or is this currently the recommended way to flash CWM? Use this: http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...-6-0-4-8-touch-lg-optimus-f3.html#post6533531

I did download and install Online Nandroid Backup, however, I have not built the courage up yet to try a restore as I've got hours into rebuilding the phone after the last Nandroid backup (done from CWM). Online nandroid is NOT fully compatible with our phones. (It does not backup boot, or recovery. For a basic restore it should work if used properly.

------------

Read my above additions to your post.

Upvote 0
Reflash CWM, and do the "Advanced Restore" feature.

PLEASE NOTE: MAKE SURE WHEN YOU BACK UP, YOU CHOOSE "Backup to External" option in the backup and restore menu.

If there are problems restoring the Nandroid Backup, would it be possible to use SuperBackup or Titanium Backup to backup the Apps/Data (prior to the CWM Advanced Restore) and then perform an Advanced Nandroid Restore for everything but data and then use the SuperBackup or Titanium Backup to restore the app/data?

Snikies - that's a long sentence :p

------------

Upvote 0
The reason it is not relevant is because the script runs after boot.

Now although the back up will restore properly, there might be settings and or files that might not restore as they are in a different location before the backup is done.

So i guess in a way we are both right in the sense the backup will work, and in the same breath, it wont.

I hope i explained this well.

Side note: if the script is ran after a backup is restored settings and files should be intact.

Upvote 0
The reason it is not relevant is because the script runs after boot.

Now although the back up will restore properly, there might be settings and or files that might not restore as they are in a different location before the backup is done.

So i guess in a way we are both right in the sense the backup will work, and in the same breath, it wont.

I hope i explained this well.

Side note: if the script is ran after a backup is restored settings and files should be intact.

Like you said, its irrevalent. I don't use the script. It's been disabled.

------------

Upvote 0

Just performed a CWM Advanced Restore on data. As I suspected, it screwed up my phone again.

How would I determine what is causing the data to become corrupt?

Really was hoping someone could help on this. Running a rooted phone without a backup is not a good thing.

------------

Upvote 0
Like you said, its irrevalent. I don't use the script. It's been disabled.

------------
are you certain... I would start with a fresh unbrick and never install it. I use cwm backup and restore all the time.

the problem is that the script is not run in recovery... so the backup is not backing up and restoring what will eventually be the /data/media partition... it is backing up and restoring the internal /data/media which is not used when running the script...

Upvote 0
are you certain... I would start with a fresh unbrick and never install it. I use cwm backup and restore all the time.

the problem is that the script is not run in recovery... so the backup is not backing up and restoring what will eventually be the /data/media partition... it is backing up and restoring the internal /data/media which is not used when running the script...

Agreed, although backup and restore will run fine, and might not even error out (tested this last night) The restore will only work if the backup was ran before and after the script (AND assuming you have all the same apps installed.) But this is still no guarantee that it will work properly as Robaho said.

Upvote 0

Yes, I'm certain the script is not running. If it were, I wouldn't be able to use Link2SD with out major problems.

Using AdvancedStock7 so the option of 'never install it' is not an option.

------------

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones