• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] [Dev] Calling all devs!

HaTrEd360

Android Expert
Aug 18, 2012
Okay, I can't stand this. Our only Dev has no phone now... We need to find some other devs help us out on this phone. We had recovery on the v5 firmware and v6 broke it.

The factory reset issue is tied to a file called morningcall in /system/bin/

We need to find out why zv6 broke our recovery. Because I did notice the install-recovery.sh file in /system/ect/ was updated with zv6 and I remember that file being a major problem on my old Optimus Elite with recovery so you had to remove it or rename it.

What errors or problems do you face when trying to install CWM on zv6? I would try myself but I'm afraid to reflash my phone anymore then I already have... Lol.

If someone out there would please help us out on getting recovery on zv6, then I'm gonna attempt to port a rom from a similar phone somehow.

Has anyone tried to install the recovery with the dd command?

Broken recovery is due to v6 having made kernel patches.

Every recovery has its own kernel. The kernel used by the recovery is a exact copy of the OS kernel.

To fix the issue you have to recompile the recovery with the v6 version of the F3 kernel.

Just download the sprint v6 source code of the kernel.. Compile it then include it in the recovery compile process and you got a working cwm.

edit: also when you get the v6 update just extract the updater-script from it and edit it with notepad++ or similar and remove the section that replaces the recovery. Remove ALL instaces of recovery in the file and then flash the new update as normal...

P.S. removing all patch checks in the beginning of the updater script will fix any cwm zip install errors ;)

Upvote 0
What are you trying to pull? The best way to pull images, is to use the dd command using adb shell or terminal on your phone.

I'm trying to build CyanogenMod from source. Or at least attempt to. I've never done this before and it's a learning curve.

Website i'm working with:
How To Port CyanogenMod Android To Your Own Device - CyanogenMod

The Section I'm working with:
Add the blobs to the vendor/ directory

Once you have a working recovery, it's now time to get CyanogenMod building and working.
The first thing to do is to get all the proprietary, binary blobs into the vendor/ folder, along with a .mk file that will include them in the final build.
This requires three steps:
Create extract-files.sh and setup-makefiles.sh scripts to pull those blob files from the device using adb and put them in the right /vendor/ directory. There are plenty of examples available for other devices.
Create an .mk Makefile to copy those files to the $OUT folder during the build process and put them in the right place. Again, use other devices as a guide for what this Makefile should look like. An example filename might be BoardConfigVendor.mk
Make sure that the Makefile you just created is included from your main BoardConfig.mk via a command such as -include vendor/[vendor]/[codename]/BoardConfigVendor.mk. Again, existing devices can illustrate how this is done.

The file i'm working with which uses adb to pull from the phone:
extract-files.sh

The issue is that I don't have a correct working copy of extract.files.sh The versions I find on the internet work for other phones. It tries to pull non existent files off of the phone.

I think there is a step i'm missing. I just need to find it.

I may never get this to compile from source code. At this point i'm trying to see if I can do it. It would be cool if I could.

Upvote 0
Go to the Optimus Elite root forum, and message the creator of the Cyanogenmod roms for that phone. His name is phenomx4 I think it is. Or very close to that... Lol. He can probably help with building CM. Or at least point you on how to extract the files and get your rom to install past 25%.

Upvote 0
The vendor blobs are what exist in the vendor folder from the phone which i think was the firmware folder and such.

If you can remind me what was in the vendor folder i can tell you which file was important since it only needed one to load the OS.

The issue is that I don't have a correct working copy of extract.files.sh The versions I find on the internet work for other phones. It tries to pull non existent files off of the phone.

I think there is a step i'm missing. I just need to find it.

I may never get this to compile from source code. At this point i'm trying to see if I can do it. It would be cool if I could.

You have to create your own file for example
[HIGH]https://github.com/mvines/android-device-unagi/blob/master/extract-files.sh[/HIGH]

You need to somewhat understand the coding language to be able to read what it is doing.

blob list = important OS files made by LG from stock rom on phone used to boot android

Anyway all that file does is detects the phone... Connects by adb.. Then pulls all the files from the "blob list".

You don't need to include this if you have the files in a folder then just copy them over to the zip created by the cm source compilation.

Just makes things way easier and faster.

Also before compiling please do not include the stock kernel with the cm build process because it will cause more headaches then fixing since the kernel is LGtastic..

Remove all LG crap security/exploit edits.. Allow overclock.. Remove/add needed/unneeded drivers and features. Then compile the kernel and include it into the cm build process.

Also if you havent gotten that far into building the source you will either need a kernel source included with cm or a precompiled kernel or else cm build will fail.

P.S. During kernel compile add as much debugging/log levels as possible to research why cm wont boot. If you dont do so you will just get a non-booting non-log outputting rom which will make this impossible to complete.

(Ram Console = Important if you want faster logging support google it)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replys. I figured i would have to create the script myself. I was hoping to avoid it if possible.

I do have a little python and php background. I should be able to create the script. Ill get a list of the files in that dir later after i get home from work.

I planed to add the 2ndinit after compiling. I just havent been able to compile yet. I had used our kernel from source i pulled from the LG website.

The rom had someone test was an attempt at porting the L9 cyanogenmod rom. I figured 99% it wouldnt work. The screen rez is diffrent and it was missing the init folder in the system/etc folder. I just wanted to try and see what result i would get.

Im pritty sure i have the source ready to compile minus that step for a first attempt.

Upvote 0
Compiling :eek:

Hopefully I won't have anymore memory issues. Don't get your hopes up yet. Doesn't mean it will work.

****Update:
Got it to compile but couldn't get it to install via cwm. I'll keep trying

Attachments

• 1392735359752.jpg
    1392735359752.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0
I now have a install able cyanogenmod rom. It just doesn't boot.

After I install I see the initial splash screen and then the default lg boot animation that looks like the splash screen for around 3 seconds then screen goes blank and stays that way.

I let it sit for awhile but nothing happens. From this point on I am not sure what to do. I can restart the phone and boot into cwm.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones