1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Virgin Mobile/Sprint] [Kernel][Loki] Optimus F3 VM Stock Kernel

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by loonycgb2, Dec 6, 2013.

1. loonycgb2

loonycgb2 Android Enthusiast

This is my first time starting to get into developing on android roms/etc...

So i thought i add this since most phones i used always had a seperate download for the stock kernel.

Its loki'd so during boot you will receive a small error which wont affect your phone booting.

(Flash in CWM Recovery)

Download:
    Optimus F3 VM Stock Kernel

(If i am not posting correctly please let me know)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

Alright cool! But why do we need the same kernel that we all have installed right now anyways? There isn't any difference right?

3. Murf1

Murf1 Android Enthusiast

Maybe it is a backup in case someone would like to return to stock or return to stock and start removing bloat they don't want (like if they made a mistake the first time and removed too much). Sounds like a good thing to have around to me. Thanks

hairyhands likes this.
  4. loonycgb2

As soon as the rom development starts moving we will be getting new modified kernels.

Like all kernels people get tired of issues and need to go back to the stock kernel.

So having all seperate components in single downloads is best for different situations.

5. MrGlowy

MrGlowy Android Enthusiast

In the motion, we had a loki kernel. It allowed us to remove bloat without fear of getting the morningcall error.

6. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

What do you mean morningcall error?

7. MrGlowy

MrGlowy Android Enthusiast

On the motion, we couldn't delete certain apks because once we did and rebooted. The phone would say something about morning call error. And just stay there and wouldn't let us use the phone.

8. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

That's pretty odd never heard that before. But cheers, I guess for sorting that out lol. Anyone wanna try to compile cm10 for this phone? I may give it a go.

9. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

I can build and compile it but I can't work on it as I don't know nothing lol.

10. loonycgb2

Before trying cm10 as everything will be broken on it since we got to integrate drivers and apks, why not start on the stock firmware?

Were lucky because LG has made the sprint brand of this phones firmware source code available free since its opensource.

Also the kernel source is included.

With the kernel source you can easily add more cpu frequncies to allow overclocking and add new cpu modes like smartassv2 or lagfree easily by adding simple premade codes (easily found on google) and simple file edits (tutorials on google).

Editing the firmware source will allow us to disable virgin mobiles network call that disables tethering. Its already in the firmware, but virgin forces our phones to only accept certain browser UA's which can be deleted out the source code to allow us to tether and such..

The firmware accepts sprint/boost/virgin calk backs to disable and download system files. It has a list of what to download from which we delete certain calls and we have a open firmware.

bigbpc likes this.
  11. BlingDiggity

BlingDiggity Lurker

Yeah this gives the VM version of the F3 a fairly large advantage (at least in terms of development) over the other carrier's versions of the device. If any ROM development occurs on this phone, it'll happen here first. I wish there was a forum for this device on XDA or RootzWiki, but Phandroid is better than nothing I guess. My poor Polaroid tablet doesn't have it's own dedicated forum anywhere.

12. loonycgb2

I just rebuilt the new kernel im going to modify and will post the new kernel update soon.

I finally found and removed the factory reset issue when booting to recovery and have enabled diag mode so we can get our MSL now by cdma or other means.

13. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

Where was the factory reset bug at?? This is amazing news!!

14. loonycgb2

Just like i mentioned in another post its embedded into the kernel as a lg specific patch.

What happens is when the kernel detects a call for the recovery or bootloader it acts as a system malfunction and creates a kernel panic which then on any panic having to do with the kernel it starts a reset function.

In the kernel it is named lge_hidden_reset.

But it seems LG has caught on to this forums as now they have seperated the vm and sprint firmware/kernel and have released a patch/upgrade for the sprint version meaning a new v6 has been made.

Virgins new version is v5 in its own category.

It seems the sprint version has gone to jellybean 4.2 now.

15. chucksaysblah

chucksaysblah Android Enthusiast

Is it your plan to fix the reset on reboot issue then move on to a functional cmrom at some point? If they are on to the forum will you be able to move forward or no? Also is the link for the kernel your latest update or have you not uploaded it yet?

16. loonycgb2

Yes i need to fully straighten out the issues as now i found another issue, but these have to be fixed if the plan is to use this kernel as a base for cyanogenmod.

It would get moving faster if we had more devs as i am the only one working on it that i know of because sammy has not said a word on any thing of this phone.

Also no i have not updated anything as this new kernel will be on its own post.

bkttk2 and chucksaysblah like this.
  17. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I am really looking forward to the release of the kernel and I appreciate that we finally have a dev for this phone. Will we be able to over/underclock with the kernel you are currently developing?

18. chucksaysblah

chucksaysblah Android Enthusiast

looking forward to whatever you come up with in the future man! I have a good stable nandroid backup and cwm installed so if you need a tester let me know! I have flashed many experimental ROM's on several different phones in the past so I am not totally new to testing. Not a dev though.

19. loonycgb2

You can current underclock no problem as its a pure stock kernel with some lg addons but as for overclock the current limit on stock is 1120mhz i believe.

I am gonna have to find what the highest it can go so i can add more speeds.

20. BlingDiggity

BlingDiggity Lurker

Also willing test. Got several Nandroids and CWM installed. Been flashing experimental ROMs on my devices ever since I got my N1, so I know what I'm doing and how to take proper bug reports & kmsgs. I also have a semi-dedicated linux box now, but i'm fairly inexperienced with linux so I don't know how much help that'll be.

21. sawbones999

sawbones999 Well-Known Member

If sprint has gone to Jellybean 4.2 how much work would it be to get that up and running on VM? Can that kernel be used as a basis for CM10?

Sorry if that is a noob question. I'm working on 2 different new phones right now and may be mixing up which has features working on JB and which doesn't.

Cheers,
    -SB

22. loonycgb2

The jb 4.2 is basicly 4.1 with lots of cut apps due to lg.

Yes the provided kernel is usable, as i am currently building from it only issue now is cm 10 is a old source and was left with many code errors. Mainly the provided external tools

23. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

Phenomx4 I think his name is, on the Optimus Elite forums, built a Cm10 rom from scratch. The phone was designed to run Gingerbread only 2.3.7, and he built Cm9, and Cm10 and an ICS and JB build of AOKP as well. And all of them work nearly perfect besides blue tooth I believe. You could try talking to him, he might be able to help, I tried getting him to help with our recovery a while back but he's busy fixing up the source on his Cyanogenmod roms for the Elite, then he's gonna try Kitkat for it lol.

24. redheadturkey

redheadturkey Newbie

I'm no good at actual coding, but if you need someone to test builds, I am more than willing. I know how to unbrick my phone, and I already have a working CWM on it so I can flash roms. Just let me know if you need a tester.

LG Optimus F3 Forum

The LG Optimus F3 release date was June 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 2460mAh battery.

June 2013
Release Date
Reviews