• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] [MOD][APP] SDCard Swapper Fx3

sandix

Android Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2014
** FOR LG OPTIMUS F3 ONLY DO NOT USE ON ANY MODEL OTHER THAN THE VIRGIN MOBILE VARIANT(SPRINT AND BOOST SHOULD ALSO WORK? LET ME KNOW)
This Swapper app does exactly what it says on the tin: Swaps your internal and external sd cards on boot. By doing so, you will get as much free space for applications as you have on your SD Card. Ex: You want to install Modern Combat which is 1.5-2GB in size, our phone only has, on stock unmodified ROMs, about 500MB free space give or take. This will change that to allow you to use your sd card as if it was your internal SD card or in lamemen terms, all application data (minus the apk itself) goes to your external SD Card.

To Install:

1. Download and install (SDCardSwapper.apk)(**IF YOU ARE RUNNING ADVANCEDSTOCK7 VERSION 10 OR HIGHER YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO THIS AS IT IS BUILT IN!)
  2. Open the app and hit "Swap SD Cards", Accept the root request, and wait for a confirmation of completion on the statusbar.
  3. Reboot your phone once.
  4. After reboot the app will run by itself. (DO NOT RUN THE APP AGAIN UNLESS YOU GET AN ERROR! RUNNING IT MORE THAN ONCE WILL CAUSE ANDROID TO LOSE INTERNAL SD CARD UNTIL NEXT REBOOT.)
  5. After the second confirmation of completion, reboot again.
That's all it takes to install SDCard Swapper! This will work on any LG Stock ROM for our F3! The above steps are only for the first launch of the app, afterwards, it should run fine without any user interaction.

To Disable:

1. Open SDCard Swapper Fx3
  2. Select the "Disable SDCard Swap" checkbox
  3. reboot phone.
  4. enjoy.

To re-enable follow the same process, but enable the app, then reboot.

Please report any bugs.

And as always, thanks for reading. ;)

Last edited:
Ooh, I get ya. By swapping the storage you can increase the internal to what ever size SD card you have installed. It make the external storage the internal.
Copy that. Good option if running low on internal memory then. Don't have that problem yet and I have over 200 apps installed. Still have around 350 - 400 meg free.

------------

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, this doesn't actually install the script, but instead replaces it all together giving the user a GUI and the option to easily disable and enable the swap on demand without moving or editing files.

But in a nutshell, yes, it just swaps the internal and external sd card mount points to give you WAY more space for application data. Very useful for someone who plays games on their phone (E.G. Modern Combat, Asphalt, Call of duty, and really any app that is large in size.

Thank you guys for all the love though! I really appreciate it so much!

Upvote 0
Forgive me for being a newbie. This sounds great as the only reason I was considering rooting was to move apps to SD card. Is this something where I should swap the cards and then download apps that I want and switch it back for day to day use where the SD card would be seen as the SD card?
Do I need to navigate my phone to this page and then press the link as I'm on my desktop? Or do I download it to my computer and then move the file over to my phone? Thanks!

Upvote 0
I've done something wrong, but I'm not sure what. I have an F3 with the V8 update. It wasn't rooted before the update. I used stumproot and I had to force it, but it worked. I have Super SU and BusyBox installed.
Installed the swapper, gave Super SU permission, and rebooted twice like the directions said. My storage shows I have 29.71GB free, so the swapped worked.
How come when I'm downloading an app it says I have insufficient storage?
I guess I missed something, but what?
TIA for your help.

EDIT: My storage shows 29.71 GB free, but my apps still show 1.2 gb internal storage.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, because of how android works, the physical apk file downloaded from the play store are stored under /data/data. So it is technically on internal storage, this mod swaps the sdcards, which only works where apps store data (like in app purchase, downloads, etc.)
i am currently working on a way to trick android into installing apps to the sdcard completely.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, because of how android works, the physical apk file downloaded from the play store are stored under /data/data. So it is technically on internal storage, this mod swaps the sdcards, which only works where apps store data (like in app purchase, downloads, etc.)
i am currently working on a way to trick android into installing apps to the sdcard completely.
apks are stored under /data/app. their data is stored under /data/data. user data is stored under /data/media which is "linked" to /storage/sdcard0 and /sdcard via fuse.

Reactions: LogosA
Upvote 0
Thanks for the answer and for not being rude Sandix! I hate posting in forums like these because sometimes the people are really mean.

I understand what this does now and it's really cool! I also didn't break my phone which is a definite plus. I'll be checking back to see if you manage to get apps to load to the SD card.

Reactions: sandix
Upvote 0
Thanks for this handy little app! I removed my partition on my sd card, since I had a lot of apps linked.(remove the links first. ) I put "my junk" back on my 8gb card, then install the script. Now my internal is 8gb, and external is 2gb. I now have all the room for anything I want!! Awesome!! Thanks again!!
Running Deodexed v8. :)

Although this application works with any stock rom past V5, I did make it to work better with AdvancedStock7, if you wanted to give that one a try. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones