• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] [Recovery][VM]CWM 6.0.4.8 Touch for the LG Optimus F3

Hi, my phone is Virgin Mobile LG Optimus F3 LS720V6, Android version 4.1.2

I had the same problem as Tolkien. My original goal was to back up my phone, before I install some things on my phone. So I followed the instructions here to get CMV 6.0.4.8 on my phone. Then I booted into CMV to see if it worked. It did, I didn't make a back up yet. I was checking out the recovery rom. Then I just wanted to get out of it and get to my android os to make sure I still have all my programs, etc.

It displayed the same message as Tolkien said. And I was confused, and I didn't know what it meant.

"Rom may flash stock recovery on THIS CAN NOT BE UNDONE."

No
Yes -Disable recovery flash

I clicked "No", and for some reason the first time, it reverted to factory defaults without my permission. (Even deleted some of the apk apps I saved in folders) Why would it do this? I just wanted to exit safely without it doing anything!

I didn't have much stuff installed on my phone to begin with. Anyways, since, then I rerooted my phone. And figured that this was just a one time factory default on the first install on this. Or is this a threat every time you go into the recovery program?

Anyways, I rerooted the phone. Now, I went to back up my phone per options. To see if this program works. I got this error:

"Error while making a backup image of /data!"

I figured this was because, there wasn't enough space on the phone. That's why I got this error. It was running out of space. I'll probably have to buy micro sd card, to test it. To make sure it can keep back ups, as I'm installing new apps.

But anyways, my main concerns are this:

Why did it default to factory settings, when all I was trying to do was get out of it? It only does it once? If not, how do I prevent it from doing this? What does this really mean? Should I have pressed yes? Is this a normal function when you flash something, your phone goes back to factory defaults. I'm kind of new to using phones. So just asking.

2nd, not sure if this will work when I test the actual back up before installing new apps, and if it decides to revert to factory defaults, and then I go to recover back up, and it doesn't work. Per what Tolkien was saying.

3rd, what if I want to uninstall this rom, how do I do that? Just in case, I choose to go with another one. Just in case, because I still want to use this app, but I want to make sure it works correctly.

Sometimes the phone has a Kernel Panic. When it does, it wipes the /data partition. When you reboot into your phone, it's the same as performing a Factory Reset. (Which wipes the /data partition)

For the Yes, or no question, choose 'no'. You should go back into the recovery and wipe any backups you've already made. Make an 'advanced backup' and just backup your system partition to test. You shouldn't have any issues. For a complete backup, you should have a minimum of 2 gigs free. I'd recommend at least 3 gigs free. You'll need an external sd card to make that happen. You'll never get that much space on the internal memory. The maximum size you can get is 32 gigs.

To answer your question about uninstalling a rom, To remove android, you only need to wipe the system partition. I wouldn't recommend doing so unless you know what you're doing. Usually when you install another rom, it will wipe the system partition for you during the install. All you need to do is follow the directions given to you in the rom forum thread in the first post. Usually all you need to do is wipe the 'cache' and 'dalvik cache' and then install the rom.

Upvote 0
Sometimes the phone has a Kernel Panic. When it does, it wipes the /data partition. When you reboot into your phone, it's the same as performing a Factory Reset. (Which wipes the /data partition)

For the Yes, or no question, choose 'no'. You should go back into the recovery and wipe any backups you've already made. Make an 'advanced backup' and just backup your system partition to test. You shouldn't have any issues. For a complete backup, you should have a minimum of 2 gigs free. I'd recommend at least 3 gigs free. You'll need an external sd card to make that happen. You'll never get that much space on the internal memory. The maximum size you can get is 32 gigs.

To answer your question about uninstalling a rom, To remove android, you only need to wipe the system partition. I wouldn't recommend doing so unless you know what you're doing. Usually when you install another rom, it will wipe the system partition for you during the install. All you need to do is follow the directions given to you in the rom forum thread in the first post. Usually all you need to do is wipe the 'cache' and 'dalvik cache' and then install the rom.

So another words, if this phone has a kernel panic. It would be advised to back up the /data partition before using the program? Which is why I installed the application in the first place. It's a paradox. I guess it could do that with anything you flash, although?

Anyways, I select no for now on, like you said to that question. Now I went into recovery, I didn't have any back ups made. But the problem is you say go to "advanced backup"

When I go to back up and restore I see these options:

Backup to /sdcard
restore from /sdcard
delete from /sdcard
advanced restore from /sdcard
backup to /external_sd
restore from /external_sd
delete from /external_sd
advanced restore from /external

I don't see advanced back up. And when I choose backup to /sd card. It just automatically starts backing everything up with no further options.

If I go into advanced, I do see some options, but it doesn't look like it's related to backing up:

reboot recovery
reboot to bootloader
power off
wipe dalvik cache
report error
key test
show log
++++++Go Back++++++

What's going on, am I missing an important feature?

And let's say I do this back up, it backs up the system partition. But kernel panic wipes the data partition. I guess system partition will stay intact, but I will still lose stuff?

Thanks for your help so far.

Upvote 0
So another words, if this phone has a kernel panic. It would be advised to back up the /data partition before using the program? Which is why I installed the application in the first place. It's a paradox. I guess it could do that with anything you flash, although?

Anyways, I select no for now on, like you said to that question. Now I went into recovery, I didn't have any back ups made. But the problem is you say go to "advanced backup"

When I go to back up and restore I see these options:

Backup to /sdcard
restore from /sdcard
delete from /sdcard
advanced restore from /sdcard
backup to /external_sd
restore from /external_sd
delete from /external_sd
advanced restore from /external

I don't see advanced back up. And when I choose backup to /sd card. It just automatically starts backing everything up with no further options.

If I go into advanced, I do see some options, but it doesn't look like it's related to backing up:

reboot recovery
reboot to bootloader
power off
wipe dalvik cache
report error
key test
show log
++++++Go Back++++++

Let's say I do this back up, it backs up the system partition. But kernel panic wipes the data partition. I guess system partition will stay intact, but I will still lose stuff?

It happens sometimes but it's rare. There should be an option for advanced backup to external or internal.

If it happens again, yes you will loose stuff just like before but it's rare. The system partition will still be there.

Upvote 0
It happens sometimes but it's rare. There should be an option for advanced backup to external or internal.

I can't find it, actually. I didn't notice that I could scroll down previously. So I scrolled down now, and I still don't see it. It's strange because there is advanced recovery from sd card or external sd card. Am I missing something here?

The full options are this in "Backup and Restore"

-backup to /sdcard
-restore from /sdcard
-delete from /sdcard
-advanced restore from /sdcard
-backup to /external_sd
-restore from /external_sd
-delete from /external_sd
-advanced restore from /external
-free unused backup data
-choose default backup format
-create image zip
+++++Go Back++++++

Main menu:
-Reboot system now
-install zip
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-backup and restore
-mounts and storage
-advanced

I looked around in mounts and storage, don't see anything about back up. Maybe I have to do something here to enable it?
I do see "mount USB storage"

I literally don't think it's in this version. Maybe in PhilZ CWM Recovery version. It might not be needed, I kind of wanted to do a full back up anyways. Just curious. But I still need to buy a sd card to fully test this program out.

xclusive36 said:
If it happens again, yes you will loose stuff just like before but it's rare. The system partition will still be there.

Unless I do full back up, though, and restore, right?

Something interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yy6Sp0xiYgM#t=337

Also, the advanced back up doesn't seem to be in his version either. But at 5:50 anyways, when he completed his restore, it said something about choosing yes or no again (with that same question) (like it always does I assume when restarting). He said for himself to choose no, because he was using a later android. But that option was for 4.1.2, not sure what he is talking about. And that his version was later than 4.3, so if he choose yes, it would get rid of root. Maybe this has to do with samsung galaxy phones only.

So I'm assuming, when I restore back up. I still choose no.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wouldn't worry about doing a backup until you get a sdcard. It's pointless because you don't have the space. At least you know the recovery works.

Alright, I'm looking at all the different prices for these SD cards then. And I'm looking at the speeds. Is Class 4 good enough for this recovery tool when backing up?

And although there was another thread on this forum, where it was mentioned to get a class 10 to use with Link2SD. Since I may need external storage for extra apps.

The price difference on ebay is this: $4.49, 8GB, class 4. Or $7.00 8GB, class 10. Is it better to spend more on speed, or space? $4.49 is pretty cheap, would I really need class 10? Or is class 4, good enough for this type of phone? To go with the apps. Or would class 4, really slow it down?

Upvote 0
I'm sure 4 would be fine.

Alright, I appreciate you helping me. I know this is a little off topic. But should I format my external microsd card on my pc through putting it in my cell phone then hooking it up via usb. Or should I format it on the actual cell phone with a app called "aparted"? Does it work both ways, I assume?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anyone is good. You can even go into settings > storage, and then format sdcard that way as well.

If your going to use link2sd, you'll need to use aparted to create 2 partitions and format them both. one ext4, and the second fat32.

Well, I want to use link2sd and use CWM touch as well for back ups. So I want to format it the way link2sd wants it. I'm assuming I can still format it without using "aparted" but using a different program on my PC to do it (again via external card hooked into cell phone then cell phone hooked up to PC via usb).

Because I heard using "aparted" is risky and if you don't know what you are doing you can accidentally format your internal memory. I'm assuming there is a pc program that can do that, correct? So I don't need to use "aparted" right?

Upvote 0
I'm sure there is but I wouldn't know of any. Aparted isn't that hard. I would watch a video on it on YouTube

Alright I'll have to wait for my card then before I can do all this, but for now, another question. How do I check if knox warranty has been tripped. Ever since I installed CWM 6.0.4.8 touch (this program) and it reverted to stock restore just once. I was worried, maybe it was possible it was tripped.

Is it worth going into download mode, to check it? Supposedly that's where you check it, not sure with this phone.

Upvote 0
Alright I'll have to wait for my card then before I can do all this, but for now, another question. How do I check if knox warranty has been tripped. Ever since I installed CWM 6.0.4.8 touch (this program) and it reverted to stock restore just once. I was worried, maybe it was possible it was tripped.

Is it worth going into download mode, to check it? Supposedly that's where you check it, not sure with this phone.
I believe that 'Knox' is a Samsung thing. It is check by going into 'Odin Mode' on Samsung devices. I don't think that the F3 has it.

Upvote 0
I believe that 'Knox' is a Samsung thing. It is check by going into 'Odin Mode' on Samsung devices. I don't think that the F3 has it.

Alright, that explains when I googled it, I didn't find a way to check it for this phone.

On a positive note, I got my micro sd card. And it worked! I backed up, then I went to my phone to install an app. And then when I restored, the app was gone. Great, so if anything goes wrong. I can revert back. Wow.

Thanks! This is an excellent program. Thanks for the support and your hard work.

Now I'm going to follow this elaborate guide to secure my phone:
[TUTO] How to Secure Your Phone
On the XDA forums

I downloaded most of the tools (apps). First one didn't work "Privacy Blocker", it old and it hasn't been updated in a few years. I'll either skip it or use alternative. Because it crashes, and even when I can get into it. It doesn't work.
But it says : "No other app can do this on Android!" It's probably not a big deal.

By the way, do you guys think this guide to secure your phone is over kill?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry for the long post guys, but the main question I'm asking here is, why in the heck didn't CWM back up the sdcard directory where one of my apps called Titanium Back up, had stuff backed up? Because I did a mistake, and it went to stock reset on accident, which (it loves to delete stuff CWM can't restore)

Short story:
I was removing bloatware, and after that I decided to wipe cache partition, and wipe dalvik cache. To improve my speed. Some how I accidentally went to restart to recovery instead of reboot system. That reset my phone to stock factory settings. So then I restored to a back up with CWM I made before I did wipe cache partition, and wipe dalvik cache. But what happened was I lost all my apps that I backed up with Titanium backup.

Long story:
Alright, something sort of went wrong here. I removed bloatware, restarted, and everything worked fine. Then I made a back up in CWM 6.0.4.8.

Then I was following this guide. After that it said it wanted me to do a "cache and a dalvik cache wipe." to improve performance.

So I did a "wipe cache partition" in CWM, and then I did a "wipe dalvik cache"
and then I went to restart (I didn't choose to restart in CWM if I recall) anyways it restarted to CWM instead of my OS. Then I chose to reboot. And then it reverted to stock factory defaults again. It's not suppose to do this from the research that I have done. Unless I'm wrong here?

It's suppose to improve the speed of my phone.
So after this I did manage to restore my back up, and everything reverted back to how it was. That's a relief so I don't have to do everything over.

But I don't know why it did this. Did it actually do another Kernel panic? What should I do, do it again? Or just do "wipe dalvik cache"?

And now apparently all of the apps that I backed up on Titanium Pro Back up, have mysteriously disappeared! Even though I did restore it. That's great! What just happened here!!!!?

I'm assuming CWM backs up everything, but why is it missing?

*update, I'm looking in the system.ext4.tar.a
there is no /storage/sdcard0/ directory
therefore I can't find the TitaniumBackup folder

It doesn't back this up?

*update I know why it reverted to stock defaults now
because I told it to reboot to recovery on accident. Instead of just the normal reboot.

When I did wipe cache and dalvik cache, and did a normal reboot. It didn't restart to stock defaults. Darn it. Still the back up should have kept all my data back ups.

*I had to resort to even a further dated back previous back up, or I would have lost all these apps forever and the ability to restore it apparently in Titanium back up. I have to do this process all over again and back up the Titanium Backup folder. When it went back to factory restore, even those apps weren't restored.

So in conclusion, the "default factory restock reset" is the evil entity that deleted app data, backed up stuff. And CWM is the program that refuses to back up app data and directories under /sdcard/.

So what is it that CWM back's up? And exactly what directories doesn't it back up, besides /sdcard/ ? It's just those directories that I have back up myself, and restore?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you boot into cwm from inside cwm? If so, yes. Your not supposed to do that. That's why

Yes, that was an accident. It was in the advanced menu. After I cleared "wipe dalvik cache" I saw the word reboot. And I jumped the gun. Not to mention, I almost lost my apps permanently that I uninstalled. Fortunately I had a CWM back up before I started uninstalling bloatware.

So I assume CWM doesn't back up sdcard memory?

I did some research and it said if you flash custom recovery you can:

Perform full backups of your device (literally save EVERYTHING from it).

Keyword everything. And I mean everything, if it reverts to factory restore. I want to restore everything. And it didn't restore sdcard/ memory. Not to sound demanding, because CVM already does a great job already. Just curious. Because it didn't save the Titanium back up folder. Which factory restore deleted.

Although I could save that myself, very simply.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of corse it does. You have to tell it to. you should Google directions on how to properly use cwm.

I have been googling it. Before I told you I can't find the "advanced back up feature" you had no response. So please don't sit there and tell me I'm not using the program correctly.

The only thing I did find that you are referring to is a completely different version.

PhilZ Touch 6 Recovery
CWM Advanced Edition 6.x

Otherwise, I don't know why the "backup to /external_sd" or the "backup to /sdcard" would not back up the internal sdcard folders. But I'm telling you it's not, because it didn't restore it. And I actually looked into the CWM back up folder.

Upvote 0
Well, I talked to some other people about this and apparently CWM and TWRP isn't designed to back up the internal sd card.

A CWM backup is meant to back up only /data, /cache and /system partitions. And that it's normal that it isn't backing up the internal storage.

"Anything you've read that suggests recovery nandroid can backup the internal SD card are false. " and it's not "possible"

So apparently it just blows my mind, someone can't program CWM to do it, and it's not possible.

So, I guess I have to back up all the folders manually that CWM doesn't do. Unless they are wrong?

Upvote 0
Your completely wrong. The /data/media folder is the internal storage

I think his point was that, it only back up the crucial data. And he added a further point.

"Remember, if you could nandroid your entire device.... You'd need a massive amount of free space on your device.... Like half almost of your storage free. Then after your nandroid, You'd have no space left and in my case, a 14gb backup file."

"Not many people would have the space to backup up their entire review, therefore cwm/twrp gave never considered having that as an option."

I countered his point saying that, if you have a huge external sd card, you could do it that way. But anyways, at this point I believe him. Unless you can show me in a youtube video, or exactly what to do. Or prove otherwise. Well, that's it. I'm just here to learn, I'm still new to this stuff. I don't care who is right and who is wrong. It's what I can do, lol.

From what I can tell there is:
System rom storage
Internal storage
External storage

And I don't see /data/media folder in my Internal storage sd card. But it is in my "system rom storage" which is part of my internal memory. To clarify you are correct. But I did say internal sd card.

update* I stand corrected /data/media is the internal storage. Links to the same folder as storage/sdcard0. I read his quote wrong. I read it as "is in", instead of in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones