• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] Unbrick VM/Sprint F3

My phone recently became bricked from the recent update and I followed these steps. I got my phone working once again but it's stuck on a "Chameleon" network. Does anyone know how to return it to VM?

Update:
T'was my own fault. I switched phones with VM just to be able to call people today and didn't realize that would make my phone not connect.

Chameleon mode is just the starting mode for this phone.

Once you update your profile and prl you will be placed on the network your sim connects to. (virgin or sprint or boost)

You just never notice chameleon mode since during start up with a working 4g/3g connection it happens so fast.

Upvote 0
I kinda hosed my phone! It goes into a boot loop and says security error. I didn't do anything but root it with motochopper and set up link2sd with fat32 on my microSD card. Oh wait, it was doing an OTA and I tried to let it update and it borked everything. hehe My bad. Thank goodness for you guys! I'm going to try this tonight.:D

update: Thanks sammyz and npolite! With the new flash utility, v1.6 and the other files/new instructions I was able to flash it to stock and it updated itself. I now get better battery life than when I was rooted and everything is running fine and it was able to do the OTA update without a hitch. I really appreciate it! You guys rock! Will donate via PayPal when I get the chance.

Upvote 0
so a week ago I successfully rooted my phone, today while using aparted to partition a new sd card on my phone I restarted the phone. Now it wont turn back on, I have tried multiple different ways to get the phone into download mode. and like the quote below me the computer recognizes the device. I have all the programs and files to unbrick but without getting the phone into DL mode im kinda screwed. Can anybody help me and the fellow I quoted with this problem?

My F3 that completely went black today. No matter what I press the phone stays off, is it too far gone? I did root it about a week ago. When I plug it in, a pop up says qhsusb-dload

Upvote 0
so a week ago I successfully rooted my phone, today while using aparted to partition a new sd card on my phone I restarted the phone. Now it wont turn back on, I have tried multiple different ways to get the phone into download mode. and like the quote below me the computer recognizes the device. I have all the programs and files to unbrick but without getting the phone into DL mode im kinda screwed. Can anybody help me and the fellow I quoted with this problem?

Info in following link has comments to help with download mode.

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=6373482

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I'm having to reflash my phone. I think it was a launcher or something that I installed but I didn't root it again. Anyway, the fonts started corrupting in the OS and in Chrome when I browsed the web, and then it wouldn't boot up, left it overnight on the LG logo, and it did a factory reset or something similar because all settings were gone and the font corruption was there again. Now I'm trying to reflash and when I click the arrow in the LG flash util, it says "milky way control port open fail" and some garbled characters underneath. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks! Oh yeah, the memory was full on the phone when it reset itself overnight. No room whatsoever. Weird.

Attachments

• screenshot.37.jpg
    screenshot.37.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0
Two things I wanted to mention. First, I entered a new screen on the optimus. Instead of 'download mode', I ended up in 's/w upgrade'. Can anyone tell me what this is? I pulled the battery and got back into 'download mode'.

second, I wanted to state that the easy way to get into 'download mode' is to pull the battery, pull the microsd card, replace the battery and then hold down the 'volume up' key and then plug in the usb. Don't press the power.

if that doesn't work, hold the 'volume down' key instead. I have had both work and fail. If one does't work the other will.

Upvote 0
Two things I wanted to mention. First, I entered a new screen on the optimus. Instead of 'download mode', I ended up in 's/w upgrade'. Can anyone tell me what this is? I pulled the battery and got back into 'download mode'.

second, I wanted to state that the easy way to get into 'download mode' is to pull the battery, pull the microsd card, replace the battery and then hold down the 'volume up' key and then plug in the usb. Don't press the power.

if that doesn't work, hold the 'volume down' key instead. I have had both work and fail. If one does't work the other will.

It works better to hold both volume buttons, then plug it in.

Open the application.

Load up download mode on your phone and plug it in.

Make sure you have the correct Com port modified to 41 I think it was?

Press the arrow. Give it a minute to load. Then it will say ready, but won't do anything else.

Unplug your phone, and plug it back in immediately, and stay in download mode. Just disconnect and reconnect the USB in the phone. It should go through with the unbrick method now.

That's how I remember it working for me... I don't know about the s/w update screen.

As for the error you receive, I get the same thing but it occurs when I first open the application, not when I hit the arrow button. Try rebooting your computer.

Upvote 0
Now that you're back up and running maybe you should give this a try to accomplish the original good in a safer manner. Works great for me in conjunction with Link2SD.

hey man. thanks for that I will give that a try since this is the main reason I got started messing with my phone I appreciate that.

one thing though- my superuser now isn't updating after I re-rooted it via motochopper, the same method I did before flash. I read about others having this issue after a flash. I am fully updated back to V6 and everything else. Any ways to fix this? I have tried uninstalling and re-installing superuser and tried other ones as well and still doesn't update the SU.

Again, thanks guys, this forums is great.

Upvote 0
hey man. thanks for that I will give that a try since this is the main reason I got started messing with my phone I appreciate that.

one thing though- my superuser now isn't updating after I re-rooted it via motochopper, the same method I did before flash. I read about others having this issue after a flash. I am fully updated back to V6 and everything else. Any ways to fix this? I have tried uninstalling and re-installing superuser and tried other ones as well and still doesn't update the SU.

Again, thanks guys, this forums is great.

http://androidforums.com/metropcs-t...ot/812520-guide-howto-root-lg-optimus-f3.html

Found the answer to my problems many hours later. This will work on a VM phone, as it did for me. Now time to move onto the Gold. I hope me posting these links helps anyone who comes along with same issue. The F3 is a handful but I guess it'll be worth it if I can get the SD Card thing to work.

Upvote 0
hoping someone can help me here. i've followed all of the steps, but the flash fails at 3% - it says Download FAIL! - when i check the log, it says "[Warning 4] Stream Download Error". I've attempted it about 10 times now, and it fails at the same place every time.

Try with another USB cable and see if that helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones