1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Virgin Mobile/Sprint] Unroot to update to v7?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Newf Mom, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Newf Mom

Newf Mom Lurker

I'm getting the annoying Android prompt to update. From reading the threads here, I discovered that I can't prevent the prompt anymore. So - since I can't beat 'em, I need to join 'em.

The phone is rooted (Saferoot), so the standard method (tap to update) doesn't work and messes up my phone. So, I'm guessing that I will need to do a factory reset.

My question is this: After I back up my phone, will I need to unroot it before resetting/updating?

I'm also reading that Saferoot doesn't work with some updates, is that correct? What's the recommended root app?

Thanks for your time.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Newf Mom,

I've moved your thread over to the VM all-things-root area for you.

The guys & gals in here should best be able to answer your questions.

Best of luck! :)

3. Newf Mom

Newf Mom Lurker

Apologies - I thought I was in that area. That's what I get for working while posting.

scary alien likes this.
  4. leeb0z

leeb0z Newbie

If you have cwm installed i personally would just dl and flash one of xclusive's stock v7 roms

5. lilrich1789

lilrich1789 Well-Known Member

since your rooted why not just flash exclusives v7 stock rom? its pre-rooted and you wont have to go through all the trouble

6. xclusive36

xclusive36 Android Expert

If you wish to just update to the newer V7 and do not have a modified recovery installed. If you have made no modifications to your phone with a custom theme or have not removed any standard applications that came with your phone, just run the update. It will work without any issue. It will remove root when you upgrade.

If you have changed your recovery to a custom recovery like cwm, You have a few options.
    • If you have not made any modifications other than the recovery
      • If you have cwm recovery installed (The over the air update will not work)
        • Flash the Stock V7 Rom (odexed) (don't wipe data/factory reset)
        • or Install twrp and then just accept the update
      • If you have twrp recovery installed (The over the air update will work)
        • Just accept the update
        • or Flash the Stock V7 Rom (odexed) (don't wipe data/factory reset)
    • If you have made modifications to your phone
      • Install the modified V7 update in cwm or twrp
      • or Run the unbrick guide with LS720ZV7_05.bin

scary alien likes this.
  7. stormishelley

stormishelley Newbie

have you tried freezing the "Update Device" app? i've done that and have had no problems.

8. Newf Mom

Newf Mom Lurker

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I apologize for not replying, but we've had a death in the family, and it's been rough.

I haven't decided how to approach this yet, as I am terrified of bricking my phone. I'll check out all responses and try what makes the most sense to me.

Thanks again and apologies.

scary alien likes this.
  9. Newf Mom

Newf Mom Lurker

Well, I took Rootabaga's advice (thank you!), and followed my nose after clicking on the link provided. I went to un-root my phone via SuperSU, rebooted, and I was promptly taken the CWM utility (I had forgotten that I had that app installed).

Realizing my mistake, I tried to recover my system. I backed up my phone again using this utility (I had backed up previously with AVAST Backup).

No dice. I was unable to get out of that utility, unless I initiated Download Mode. Problem is, I can't do anything within Download Mode, either.

I tried to flash to the stock ROM using this set of instructions from npolite: http://androidforums.com/6316726-post33.html, but I am stuck on step #9. I cannot, for the life of me, get around the "Parallel Lock Key Not Detected" error.

Any help would be appreciated. Some of the instructions I read are a bit confusing, so I ask for your forbearance and patience.

Adding to this a note: I've tried to reboot from the CWM utility, but when I do, a boot error flashes in the upper-left corner of the screen, but it's so short-lived that I can't read what the actual error is.

10. sandix

sandix Android Enthusiast

Go back into CWM, download a stock V7 update from my signiture (http://service.urgero.org/fx3rom) download the DeodexedStockV7 zip file and adb sideload to the phone.

Newf Mom likes this.
  11. Newf Mom

Newf Mom Lurker

Sandix - thanks. For some reason, I couldn't sideload, but I downloaded to my external SD card and went that route.

At first, the install seemed to be going well:

@Installing
    Copying new system
    Flashing kernel

Done! Rebooting in 5 seconds
    Enjoy!

But when it rebooted, it went back to CWM, and I'm back where I started from.

As a side note, I was finally able to get the boot error:

Secure booting error!

Cause: Device Unlockl, so Boot Success!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

UPDATE: I purchased another phone. Best Buy had the F3 on sale, but it was nowhere to be found, so I talked them down a little for the Tribute.

I still want to fix the F3, but at least I have another phone as a backup. So, it's no longer critical.:hmmmm2:

LG Optimus F3 Forum

The LG Optimus F3 release date was June 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 2460mAh battery.

June 2013
Release Date
Reviews