• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] VM LS720V8 - Updating, Rooting, and Unbricking

I'm currently on V7 and rooted, but I haven't installed a custom recovery. I've started receiving notifications for a system update (which I assume is V8). I've just been dismissing the notifications. Can I stop the notifications without installing the update? Should I just install the update?
Wondering the same for my girlfriend's phone. Rooted with stock recovery. If it was mine I would give it a shot, but because it is hers and she needs it I would like to know before trying to attempt the update.

Upvote 0
Well crap - like some previous posters Stumproot says it's rooted but SuperSU says there is no SU binary installed...

So you rebooted after using Stumproot?

Once you reboot you should be able to download SuperSU from playstore and install. When you first open it will indicate that binary needs updated so select yes.

Or is your scenario that after reboot and SU install you are receiving message stating binary not present and binary can not be installed?

Upvote 0
So you rebooted after using Stumproot?

Once you reboot you should be able to download SuperSU from playstore and install. When you first open it will indicate that binary needs updated so select yes.

Or is your scenario that after reboot and SU install you are receiving message stating binary not present and binary can not be installed?

The 2nd scenario.
I've tried several times but it never works.

Upvote 0
The 2nd scenario.
I've tried several times but it never works.

Well I'm stumped (no pun intended).

I used unbrick method with v8 bin file. I think installed Stumproot, let it run until it tells me to reboot. Rebooted and installed SuperSU and busybox.

I know its not a guarantee and all phones behave differently but if you have already tried this route not sure what else to suggest.

Upvote 0
Well I'm stumped (no pun intended).

I used unbrick method with v8 bin file. I think installed Stumproot, let it run until it tells me to reboot. Rebooted and installed SuperSU and busybox.

I know its not a guarantee and all phones behave differently but if you have already tried this route not sure what else to suggest.

Yeah, the unbrick method is what I thought I will try next.

Thanks for the help to both of you guys.

Upvote 0
Wondering the same for my girlfriend's phone. Rooted with stock recovery. If it was mine I would give it a shot, but because it is hers and she needs it I would like to know before trying to attempt the update.

So could someone just confirm?

If the phone is rooted and has V7 but no custom recovery, installing the (v8) update will NOT soft-brick the phone? The only consequence is the phone will lose root?

Upvote 0
So could someone just confirm?

If the phone is rooted and has V7 but no custom recovery, installing the (v8) update will NOT soft-brick the phone? The only consequence is the phone will lose root?

If all you have done is root your phone with no other modifications to the system at all. You should be fine, but if you noticed I used the word "should", ymmv. Our F3 has a reputation for things working on some but not all. Good luck.

Reactions: toronado455
Upvote 0
installing v8 update should not soft-brick the phone, but u will lose the root access.

Worst case scenario with a rooted phone and no custom recovery, you will soft brick your phone. To restore you would need to follow the unbrick guide. The more realistic scenario is that it won't. The update may fail though. If it does, you will still be on zv7.

Upvote 0
Did you have a custom recovery installed prier to the update? If so, did you make a nandroid backup?

Hey, gherkaul, I'm interested to know what you would have said if he had replied...

Right after installing cwmt recovery, I made a nandroid backup. Then I used the zv7 upgrade to update from zv6 to zv7. Hoping for a simpler way...

Thanks.

Reactions: gherkaul
Upvote 0
So I had minimal luck with Stump Root.

Made the mistake of installing V8 with CWM recovery and root, soft bricked, flashed with LG recovery tool, updated again and used brute force option to root. Rebooted when prompted and the phone was back to factory image again.

edit: now it says unsupported device. Weird.

Upvote 0
Hi gang, I've been running some tests on updating with OTA on a rooted device. I've found a glitch in Stump root that can give a 'false positive' confirmation of root. There is no option in Stump given to re-root, so no root for you or me. :(

I'm going to try re-flashing, re-rooting then un-rooting, run the ota, blah, blah and then see what happens. It's possible LG has included a patch for Stump already and put it in zv8 ota...though on proof yet. LG does know of Stump and are actively patching supported devices, btw. I'll post back soon with the results. ;)

Upvote 0
Hi gang, I've been running some tests on updating with OTA on a rooted device. I've found a glitch in Stump root that can give a 'false positive' confirmation of root. There is no option in Stump given to re-root, so no root for you or me. :(

I'm going to try again but rooting then un-rooting, run the ota, blah, blah and then see what happens. It's possible LG has included a patch for Stump already and put it in zv8 ota...though on proof yet. LG does know of Stump and are actively patching supported devices, btw. I'll post back soon with the results. ;)

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my eyes on the forums here for any updates/root exploits. All I need root for is to get rid of the horrible bloatware on the phone, anyway.

Upvote 0
Okay, so here's what I've found. Stump will work if you un-root before flashing the zv8 ota. This can be accomplished with Busybox installer and SuperSU, in that order. Then reboot and run the update. Of course this is still assuming the User has done nothing more then root. If you've made other changes like bloat removal the ota itself will still fail.

Reactions: slkpmp
Upvote 0
Okay, so here's what I've found. Stump will work if you un-root before flashing the zv8 ota. This can be accomplished with Busybox installer and SuperSU, in that order. Then reboot and run the update. Of course this is still assuming the User has done nothing more then root. If you've made other changes like bloat removal the ota itself will still fail.

I updated the OP to state that you need to unroot with SuperSU before running the OTA Update. Thank you :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones