• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] WiFi Hotspot

Upvote 0
All right ppl... I found this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMu1JGa18Gg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It works here is how.

You must be rooted"""

**1st. You should not put any info in the hotspot settings. You should leave it as is. If u did you are gonna hav to do a fact.Reset. (is the only way to get back ur original info.)
**2..Download Jb tether from playstore https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.jaconet.fixtether
**3...Download wifi.tether for root user And install https://code.google.com/p/android-w...etail?name=wireless_tether_2_0_7.apk&can=2&q=
This version is the only one it works for now.
Do not input any info. Leave it as is

Too bad it needs to stay as open network until further fix.

**A..(i recommend to reboot phone after installation).

**4..turn on JB Tether allow Root permission.
**5.. Turn on wifi-tether allow Root permission.
**@.. Final... It should work. Edits: u might need UA extension for Google,Firefox,Opra. Browser..
Sorry i dont know about E..xplorer.i do not use it.

I hav testing it in wife.s & daughters.s phone for the past week and 1/2 no issues yet.
Hope it works for you guys.
If someone find a better way please post. N keep us on track.

Reactions: fatbro49
Upvote 0
I seem to have it working with a much simpler method:

--Older version of WiFi tether from an old phone(Triumph) *Attached*

==Settings
+Device Profile - Generic ICS\JB (wlan0)
+Setup Method - Auto
+Enable WiFi Encryption(should show as WPA\WPA2-PSK)
--optional?
+SSID - Mine is OptimusF3 ;P
+WiFi Driver reload 2 - ON

Hit back and start tethering with real WPA2 security in AP mode!

Enjoy Responsibly like I do with my beer :beerglass:

Attachments

• wifi_tether_v3_3-beta2.apk
    414.3 KB · Views: 617
Upvote 0

==Settings
+Setup Method - Auto
--optional?

Will this work for the Sprint? What carrier are you using?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
tried the wifi tether, but it didn't work.

it seems to be working, but then I cant seem to see the network on my other devices and sometimes the phone will connect to my wireless network while its supposedly using the wifi for broadcasting...

its not working for me
which phone u have and what process are u doing?
i would like to help you.

Upvote 0
tried the wifi tether, but it didn't work.

it seems to be working, but then I cant seem to see the network on my other devices and sometimes the phone will connect to my wireless network while its supposedly using the wifi for broadcasting...

its not working for me

I'm seeing the same when I try to tether with the app earlier in the thread. You ever get it figured out?

Upvote 0
Above methods didnt work for me.

Sprint Hotspot native hotspot bypass (no root needed)

1.Open your Dialer App
3845#*720#

2.Scroll down to IOT(CSG2)

3.Enter CDMA Setting

4.Data Setting

5.DUN NAI

6.Extend Modem YES/NO

I modified my modem extension and toggled it to NO and it bypasses the Hotspot Prompt. Turning on Native hotspot then activates with no issues.

Note**
Issue with connecting to 4G/LTE unless you change the modem extension back. Otherwise its very handy to finally have non-rooted native hotspot.

Working on:
Sprint Network
Jelly bean 4.1.2
Build JZO54K

Finally Enjoy a effortless Tether!
Happy Holidays

(In addition I have not browsed the web if this was discovered by anyone else. But if you can proof a earlier post or a improved 3G/4G tether please keep the thread updated.)

Reactions: TrustME90
Upvote 0

==Settings
+Setup Method - Auto
--optional?

I attempted the method stated with wifi-tether by entropic with no success. I am on a rooted virgin mobile f3 on sprint network. It starts up fine, but basically does the same thing every other app I have tried does. I get the network started, it shows up in the ssid list of devices I want to connect to it but nothing can get connected. It appears no ip address is being issued to the devices from what I can tell.

pdanet usb tethered then use wifi hotspot in pdanet on pc makes it work, but I really would like to elimitate the need for the pc so everything just connects directly to the phone. Any advice would be appreciated.

WWTK

Upvote 0
For those needing wifi tether. The info in this link seems to offer the most success for the VM phone version.

http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...7-tethering-vm-lg-optimus-f3.html#post6354606

Much thanks to adam97202

Zero disrespect intended, technically it is hotspot not a tether. Just to clarify for readers.

Tethering worked for me fine from the start, but what I wanted (and the post you pointed out provides) makes the phone a hotspot.

Tethering means the phone is attached to a pc, a hotspot is independent of a pc.

Upvote 0
Zero disrespect intended, technically it is hotspot not a tether. Just to clarify for readers.

Tethering worked for me fine from the start, but what I wanted (and the post you pointed out provides) makes the phone a hotspot.

Tethering means the phone is attached to a pc, a hotspot is independent of a pc.

Thanks for clarifying for all as I do know the terms are used interchangeably by many (self included). Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Upvote 0
If anyone needs to "usb tether" use clockwork tether.

Pdanet also worked well for usb tethering and the latest version allows you to turn your pc into a hotspot as well allowing others to use your tethered connection. Both worked fine on a stock F3 and after I rooted it. The only issue I had with it is that xbox live wouldn't work on the 360, it worked fine on my HTC DNA but not with the F3. The xbox one and the ps4 worked fine only the 360 had an issue.

Before yall think I'm crazy I live in an area without high speed internet. My HTC DNA through verizon is what i use for all my internet at home, which is fairly rare because I travel for my job. Since I'm only home 1 or 2 weekends a month normally this is fine, except its still pricey to do through verizon to stream video. I bought the f3 so it can just sit at home when i'm there or not providing 4g internet, and I can reduce my verizon usage. Not an ideal solution, but it works for me ;)

Upvote 0

==Settings
+Setup Method - Auto
--optional?

This worked for me on a Virgin Mobile Optimus F3. Thanks a million. :D

WATYF

Upvote 0
Oh, and btw... that tethering app (posted by Entropic) does NOT broadcast its SSID (as far as I could figure).

This means you need to create the wireless network connection manually. Here's how:

In Windows Vista/7/8... go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Manage Wireless Networks (on the left).

Click the "Add" button then select "Manually Create a Network Profile".

In the Network Name field, enter the SSID that you configured in the app on your Optimus (it must be spelled identically).

Select "WPA2-Personal" for the Security Type

In the Security Key field, enter the passkey that you configured in the app on your Optimus.

IMPORTANT: YOU MUST check the "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting" box.

Then hit OK.

Now enable the WiFi Hotspot on your Optimus and you should see the network show up in your Windows wireless network list (it may take a few seconds for the hotspot to initialize).

Once you've done this, the network will always automatically show up in your list whenever you enable the Hotspot, and if you checked the "Start this connection automatically" when creating the network in Windows, then it will automatically connect as well.

WATYF

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones