• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Stuck at first boot after updating to Victorious 0.2.2

swarexs985

Lurker
Jun 4, 2012
This phone has been giving me rather annoying issues for the last week or so. Every time I'd receive a text, a message that email stopped responding would pop up, and I couldn't use the phone or contacts feature because Contacts would pop up with the same message. The play store couldn't install any apps, saying that the package is invalid, and Internet would randomly FC. So, I decided to wipe Cache & Dalvik Cache and update to 0.2.2 Victorious (prev. using 0.2.1) with VaeVictus OCed to 1.8. However, now I am stuck at the (I think they're bubbles?) loading screen for Android. G60madman's 100% stock backup can't be seen by my TWRP (I've got it in the root of the external SD, so no, I don't know why). My phone has been totally unusable for ~12 hours now. Help!

Put your sdcard in your computer, put g60madman's backup (unzipped, you want the date/time stamp folder) inside the folder on your sdcard name /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/<random-number>

The date/time stamp folder from g60madman's zip file goes in the folder with a random number/characters for it's name (mine is named 0f121e8c).

Once you have it there, put the sdcard back in your phone, boot into recovery and restore that date/time stamp.

Reactions: swarexs985
Upvote 0
My personal rule of thumb is to keep a personal stock backup, a rooted stock backup, and to backup everytime I have made significant changes to my phone that I don't want to take the time to do again (like installing large amounts of apps or setting up customization).

I don't usually backup everytime I update, but I have backups to go back to that are recent enough to not create a lot of work for me (so I don't have to reinstall and customize everything).

I mean, dang, it doesnt take long to backup everything on the phone, I can let it run while I do something else. Space should never be a concern, I just move my backups onto my computer, in a folder along with all other victory related files (odin, stock files, root files, kernels, roms). No excuses guys and gals!

Upvote 0
I apologize for the condescending tone ;)

Glad you got it working again. I still haven't tracked down why some people are having issues with the 0.2.2 release, but in this case it appears you were having issues already, so that could have been part of it.

To Everyone: Seriously though, backups will prevent you needing help to fix your phone 99% of the time ;)

Upvote 0
Okay, so. Now that I've managed to restore completely to stock, it seems the concensus is:

One backup from stock

One backup after root is achieved

One backup after first installing Victorious

One backup after all apps installed & customized

One backup after VaeVictus kernel install.

Anything else?

Upvote 0
Okay, so. Now that I've managed to restore completely to stock, it seems the concensus is:

One backup from stock

One backup after root is achieved

One backup after first installing Victorious

One backup after all apps installed & customized

One backup after VaeVictus kernel install.

Anything else?
Kinda overkill, but it will keep you totally safe.

What I do:
One backup from stock rooted (who cares about non-rooted ;))
One backup after installing new/updated ROM
One backup every week to keep current settings/apps backed up

BTW- VaeVictus kernel is included in Victorious, though there are newer versions of the kernel, will be releasing a new Victorious in a few days with current kernel.

Upvote 0
Kinda overkill, but it will keep you totally safe.

What I do:
One backup from stock rooted (who cares about non-rooted ;))
One backup after installing new/updated ROM
One backup every week to keep current settings/apps backed up

BTW- VaeVictus kernel is included in Victorious, though there are newer versions of the kernel, will be releasing a new Victorious in a few days with current kernel.

Definite thanks! Alright, so now I've experienced the headache associated with a failed ROM install, maybe I'll pay more attention to step 6. ;) Anyway, thanks JerryScript!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones