• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Stuck between slow speeds or an unlimited data that cuts out.

D

Deleted User

If anyone hasn't found out the way to stop throttling right now is to put these settings under your phone:

!!!!get your msl code first!!!!
Type ##data# from dialer (you won't need to press call)

Click Edit

Find your Rev.Tunning Setting,
Reverse tunnel preferred : disable

Look through the menus for your DSS Settings,
DSS proxy server IP Address : delete it or replace it with "0.0.0.0"
DSS proxy server Port : delete it or replace it with "0"

Look through the menus for your HTTPD/RSTP Proxies (advanced/multimedia),
RSTP proxy ip : delete it or replace it with "0.0.0.0"
RSTP proxy port : delete it or replace it with "0"
HTTPD proxy IP : delete it or replace it with "0.0.0.0"
HTTPD proxy port : delete it or replace it with "0"

Finally one more step: change your data connection to cdma + lte. Boom unlimited speeds... Only problem now is that if you tether like me, the data cuts out every 5 minutes so you get kicked of live or psn and out of your game. does anyone have a fix for this? You can always leave the data settings at 3g only, but you'll still be throttled. So any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric

If anyone hasn't found out the way to stop throttling right now is to put these settings under your phone:

!!!!get your msl code first!!!!
Type ##data# from dialer (you won't need to press call)

Click Edit

Find your Rev.Tunning Setting,
Reverse tunnel preferred : disable

Look through the menus for your DSS Settings,
DSS proxy server IP Address : delete it or replace it with "0.0.0.0"
DSS proxy server Port : delete it or replace it with "0"

Look through the menus for your HTTPD/RSTP Proxies (advanced/multimedia),
RSTP proxy ip : delete it or replace it with "0.0.0.0"
RSTP proxy port : delete it or replace it with "0"
HTTPD proxy IP : delete it or replace it with "0.0.0.0"
HTTPD proxy port : delete it or replace it with "0"

Finally one more step: change your data connection to cdma + lte. Boom unlimited speeds... Only problem now is that if you tether like me, the data cuts out every 5 minutes so you get kicked of live or psn and out of your game. does anyone have a fix for this? You can always leave the data settings at 3g only, but you'll still be throttled. So any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric

I have no info to help with ur throttling issue

I would however say be careful if you don't have a tether plan, Xbox most likely ps as well need like 3-5 Mbps to run games or stream movies properly

Virgin mobiles throttle kicks in around 2Gb/month I believe which is pure bull when paying for unlimited but thats another discussion lol

So they will clearly be able to see if u were to be running unthrottled after your 2gb limit and I'm fairly certain they have in their ToS that they can cancel your account if they deem you abusing it to much

Upvote 0
Really you only need dialup speeds to play games, because I've played mp games while being throttled, but still why does it cut out every 5 mins...(for about 10 seconds then immediately back on) does anyone know why the 3g cut out every five minutes on cdma + lte? whereas just on cdma I'm fine...

Upvote 0
Really you only need dialup speeds to play ganes, because I've played mp games while being throttled, but still why does it cut out every 5 mins does anyone the 3g cut out every five minutes on cdma + lte whereas just on cdma I'm fine

Nah lol deff. Can't connect an xbox with 56k (max of 497 mtu)

Xbox requires at least 1500 mtu just to allow you to loggin, thats actually how they disable logging in when they fix things, changing it to a number no connection can do

Maybe the reason why you get booted as well, just a guess but after a quick Google search I saw 4g runs at 1492 mtu and on a few phone forums (not for this device tho) multiple ppl reported a faster stabler connection, the phone may just be dipping down to a point the console forces you to sign out

Again not an expert, just some things I know, somethings I searched and a guess lol

Upvote 0
I'm able to log in and play on the throttled speed, its just I can't do party chat. ON the cdma + lte it was fine I got steady 1.2 mbps, but lately the internet cuts out for a couple seconds forcing me offline etc. like not slows down it turns OFF icon goes away even though its enabled. I called VM they were no help of course I don't know what to do..

Upvote 0
I'm able to log in and play on the throttled speed, its just I can't do party chat. ON the cdma + lte it was fine I got steady 1.2 mbps, but lately the internet cuts out for a couple seconds forcing me offline etc. like not slows down it turns OFF icon goes away even though its enabled. I called VM they were no help of course I don't know what to do..

Oh the phones actually the one losing the connection, I got no idea there, I thought ur phone was remaining fine but u were still getting booted from online (thats what mine did back in triumph days)

I was never able to get the mic to fully work when I used to tether my xbox with my old triumph, sometimes it would for a bit sometimes it wouldn't , I was never able to figure out what cause it, I know Nat can effect the Mic but I believe I had my triumph set to have an open nat connection, coulda been my connection was only fast enough to connect and not fast enough for chat while connected but who knows lol

Upvote 0
my guess is that the 4g router kicks on searching for internet is there anyway to keep my data working while its doing that or keep my unlimited speeds somehow? anything is appreciated.. maybe I'm missing something really really obvious?
Thanks,
Eric

Upvote 0
lucky I wish there was a way to bypass their throttling. In reality every cell company can handle unlimited data with basic tools added to it, but they want to make an addition 200% profit on their plans. Which is bull, but with no competition in the market what can you do?

Upvote 0
lucky I wish there was a way to bypass their throttling. In reality every cell company can handle unlimited data with basic tools added to it, but they want to make an addition 200% profit on their plans. Which is bull, but with no competition in the market what can you do?

I feel that way especially with tethering, tethering is a feature of the phone itself, not a VM feature, all there prepaid plans that I've seen have UNlimited data, yet they feel they can now start charging an extra $15 a month to unlock a device feature lol

They can kick rocks on that one lol

I think they know its wrong to, they just don't care, and they even monitor you if you start going way over, had at least 3 users I knew on my old triumph forums who said they got a letter or phone call from VM basically saying we know your tethering, if you don't stop well cancel your services

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones