• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Virgin Mobile System Update | Speed Reduction for Beyond Talk Monthly Plans

jamoosh

Android Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2010
Hi forum,

I feel some forum participants may be interested to read, I just logged into my VM account, to find the following message:

"To better service you, our systems will be updated in early 2013. As a result, several important service items and the Terms & Conditions are being updated. This may impact your service experience. We encourage you to review a summary of these changes and the updated Terms & Conditions of Service. Click here to review these updates before they take effect in early 2013."

"Speed Reduction for Beyond Talk Monthly Plans
Once the system is updated, we will begin throughput speed reduction for the Beyond Talk Monthly plans on all devices. To ensure all customers have reliable access to data services, we will begin implementation of throughput speed reduction, once the established threshold is reached.
To help ensure you're aware of your throughput limiting status, we'll send you a message when 85% of the data threshold has been used, and again when you've reached 100% of your data threshold and speeds will be reduced."

Complete system update information:
Virgin Mobile USA

Just logged in and saw it. My data still isn't being collected, but maybe they figured out a way and that's what the system update is for. Doesn't mayer anyhow, I'm switching over to tmo prepaid in a couple weeks. That would suck tho if they figured out a way, my 3G speeds are decent here.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354717624205.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354717624205.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 134
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354717633518.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354717633518.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0
My guess is that this is going to people who have 4G phones who have not been throttled. It sounds as if they are updating their software so that they can now accurately track data usage on 4G phones and they will start being throttled after 2.5 GB.

If this is true, I believe a lot of 4G phone owners will be upset at VM.

Upvote 0
Out of curiosity, do you have a 4G phone? Is it only those that have 4G phones that are getting this message, or are some people with 3G phones getting this as well? In my wife's case, I know she has a 3G phone and we haven't seen the message.

I just received the SMS about half-hour ago on the OV 3G phone. It'll take some time to reach everyone...

Majority of the changes seem to affect the older PayLo and a la carte plans--especially regarding payment and billing rules and restrictions.

Upvote 0
I really don't see why everyone is getting so worked up. The soft cap on data has always been there. The only thing I can figure out is, they finally found out how to track data usage on the 4G phones and will start throttling them after the first of the year. The rest of us on 3G devices already have this in place, so it shouldn't affect us.

From VM's website:

Once the system is updated, we will begin throughput speed reduction for the Beyond Talk Monthly plans on all devices. To ensure all customers have reliable access to data services, we will begin implementation of throughput speed reduction, once the established threshold is reached.

Upvote 0
good points.

I'm more of a business user, having come off of Blackberry.

I probably only use about 1 gig of data monthly, maybe 1.5 on a good month. I'm not concerned. Any pre-pay carrier and most post-pays are going to soft cap your use anyway if you are a heavy user. Start watching online movies 24/7 and you'll be capped quickly.

Upvote 0
So if I'm understanding this right,once you use 2.5 g, they slow down your speed? Like for tethering for Netflix? Which by the way would irk me, the reason I bought this phone HTC EVO 4 ( which turned out to b EVO 3 D) . I don't even receive half my phone calls. I just don't get it,this seems like a really nice phone but I don't feel like I'm receiving full advantage of what it has to offer. I've had it for 6 mths now,just all seems very complicated to me.

Upvote 0
So if I'm understanding this right,once you use 2.5 g, they slow down your speed? Like for tethering for Netflix? Which by the way would irk me, the reason I bought this phone HTC EVO 4 ( which turned out to b EVO 3 D) . I don't even receive half my phone calls. I just don't get it,this seems like a really nice phone but I don't feel like I'm receiving full advantage of what it has to offer. I've had it for 6 mths now,just all seems very complicated to me.

Hi karenshutts....that's the worst phone I've ever used in my life. I only lasted a few short days with it before taking it back and getting the Samsung Reverb. Those errors and problems you are having are widespread and wellknown with that phone. Whoever messed it up, did a great job. I had the 3D when on Sprint and I never, ever had any problems like that. To pay that much for a phone, and not be able to receive or send texts or phone calls is just lousy. I love my Reverb and am so glad I got it. Wanted the ONE V, but couldn't get it locally.:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones