1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Virgin Mobile] Tethering problems on rooted factory S3 - *solution found*

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by E M W, Jul 26, 2014.

1. E M W

E M W Lurker
    None

Jul 26, 2014
    Hi everyone! Complete noob to flashing phones here. I'm trying to use a 3rd party app to turn my S3 into a free mobile hotspot but ran into some problems. I started by using towelroot & SuperSU to root the phone. I tried both the BEETmobile hotspot and Portable WiFi hotspot apps but as soon as I go to activate it as a hotspot, I get the "Hotspot Error - you are not subscribed to the Hot spot Service. Do you want to see subscription options?" and that's as far as it gets.

Is this something that can be done on the factory rom or will I have to install a custom rom? If so, can anyone recommend one?

My phone: SPH-L710 with completely stock rom

Android version: 4.4.2
    Broadband/Software Build: NDC
    Kernel: 3.4.0-1368792 dpi@SWDD5612 #1 Wed Apr 30 20:46:12 KST 2014

P.S. - what does MK5 refer to?

Thanks everyone! :)

Advertisement

2. E M W

E M W Lurker
    None

Jul 26, 2014
    Update! It looks like the factory setting will not allow for wireless tethering -- it'll check for a subscription and when it is not found, will automatically terminate.

I tried using PdaNet+ (previously FoxFi) and it too would not work in wireless mode. However, USB tethering will work! You have to download the PC client from the website as well. There is a free version, but you have to reconnect it every so often unless you upgrade ($7.95)

Super stoked, I bought the full version! Hope this helps someone in the future if they want to tether on a stock android build. Please note I did root this phone, but I don't think it matters as far as tethering is concerned.

3. TheBritton

TheBritton Resident Galaxy Cat
    None

Oct 9, 2011
    Male
    Radio DJ & Production Director, NWS Certified Skyw
    Amarillo, TX
  4. sean19661

sean19661 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 2, 2013
    Male
    Chicago IL
    I'm using wannam module it has the option to disable tethering provision to use native tethering

5. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2012
    Male
    a/c and heating
    New Orleans
    I tried that and native tethering still doesn't work on VM NDC.

6. thompsonjdt

thompsonjdt Newbie
    None

Aug 14, 2013
    I use wifi tether router. Here is the link It costs around $2.50 I believe and I have had no issues with it. In fact, I'm posting with my laptop using it right now!

One tip is that you have to toggle your wifi on, then enable the wifi router.

Hope this helps!

Madbat and mydian like this.
  7. Danielonti

Danielonti Newbie
    None

May 28, 2013
    I would just update your phone to CM11 and tether from there. I personally don't like Touchwiz so I updated my phone to CM, and it turns out the tether option that the rom comes with works fine.

8. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2012
    Male
    a/c and heating
    New Orleans
    I wouldn't call cm an update. I don't really flash custom Roms anymore, unless I'm testing for a friend or helping someone fix something. I like everything to work in my phone without needing a "fix" for this or a patch for that. With cm you have to "fix" your APN. And have you tried to send an MMS? Another fix.
    I like all the features that come with the stock ROM. Why else would I get a Samsung? Working multi-window, motion controls, smart stay. Once the bloat is removed, I like the stock ROM. Cm looks like plain old vanilla android to me. Moonknightus seems to be one of the few that gets it and made an awesome touchwiz based ROM (Conquest). Which also has working tethering. The greatness of android, so many choices to suit all of our tastes or needs. Bada bomp bah bah... I'm lovin it! :cool: