1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Virgin Mobile] Turn off update notifications

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mscheaf, May 27, 2014.

1. mscheaf

mscheaf Member

There is a new update today for this phone. I get notifications every 5 minutes. I am rooted and I don't want to update at all. How can I stop the notification? The notification says, Android system update.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. JonathanWhitey

JonathanWhitey Android Enthusiast

Wondering the same thing

3. mscheaf

mscheaf Member

I said screw it and hit update. I figured if it bricked, I would have an excuse to get a better phone. It rebooted into TWRP. From there I hit reboot. It started up, did not even try to install the update and I haven't seen the nag message for about 20 minutes now. Hoping it stays gone.

4. apollodorus

apollodorus Lurker

I did the same thing as mscheaf. I had no custom ROM or altered system files. I only have a lot of deleted system apps and other system processes disabled. Same result: went to TWRP, rebooted system, and it's not bothering me anymore.

5. fightingirish

fightingirish Well-Known Member

Xposed Framework with the Notify Clean module solves the problem.

6. Rock101

Rock101 Member

I'd like to do the same, what ROM were you running?

7. mscheaf

mscheaf Member

stock 4.1.2 mg5 build

Rock101 likes this.
  8. insanelycool

insanelycool Well-Known Member

I have a custom rom as well as TWRP recovery installed... I just followed the advice on hitting install, letting it reboot to recovery, then boot it back up normally and it hasn't nagged me again since (did this yesterday).

9. Rock101

Rock101 Member

I'm running Conquest 10.0 and the procedure worked for me!

10. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

I would not recommend this method. Besides, adding .bak is not "standard notation for disregarding a file". It tells the system its a backup file.
    Did you say it will continue trying to download it? So using all your data and bandwidth? That method may have worked on an lg running ice cream sandwich, this is Samsung on jellybean. Among many reasons I would stay away from this.

11. JerryScript

JerryScript Android Expert

Easiest method:
    1- Using a root capable file manager, move the update zip in /cache to your sdcard
    2- Then wait for the update box to appear and choose update now
    3- It may not reboot, if so reboot yourself
    4- Done

12. theadamguy

theadamguy Well-Known Member

So...if I do this method, I won't get updates, and my phone will stop wasting data? This new update caused me to go over my 2.5gb data cap.

13. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

Its only 88 MB , so you must have been pretty close anyways. Lol.

14. theadamguy

theadamguy Well-Known Member

No, I hadn't used any of my data. It keeps downloading after its already downloaded once.

15. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

Wow, that's weird. Mine and my wife's only did it once. The notification stays but it only dl'd once.

16. Rock101

Rock101 Member

May or may not be related but I suddenly had Hotspot added to my settings menu, wasn't there before!

17. mscheaf

mscheaf Member

I am still getting the notification. Letting it tray and fail only stops it for a week or so. None of the things posted here have helped stop it. I hate this phone so bad.

18. mscheaf

mscheaf Member

Still getting this notification. Has anyone figured out how to stop it?

19. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

Yeah, update. Lol. I finally broke down and updated.

20. mscheaf

mscheaf Member

I can't. It fails every time. I am unwilling to re-install stock whatever. I just want it to stop.

21. insanelycool

insanelycool Well-Known Member

You have to use the noprops update that Nick posted. AND be on stock MG5 (you can keep TWRP recovery).

I will be writing up a guide this coming weekend. I *may* even release a custom ROM along the lines of what Conquest was for MG5. Either that or I will work on CM... we shall see!

Either way, updating isn't so bad...but Nick is on Vacation so it looks like I might the the only one manning the controls at the moment. I'm still learning a lot, but I will see what I can do!

I have already debloated my the stock ND4 and swapped out touchwiz for the google experience launcher. I'm still tweaking things, but hey, that's half the fun anyways!

22. Ginxeng

Ginxeng Newbie

Its not like it works anyways.

23. mscheaf

mscheaf Member

I
    Don't
    Want
    The
    Update

24. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Lurker

been happening to me every day. It notifies, downloads, tells me to install and reboot. I do so and it goes to TWRP with no prompts. I hit reboot and it reboots. Then a whole bunch of apps update. After that, it runs fine. Then the same notification about an update happens the next day.

I figured it was because I am running Victorious and/or TWRP. I really don't want to uninstall them for whatever this update does. I'm sick of messing with this phone

25. mscheaf

mscheaf Member

Me too. I just want it to stop nagging me and work.

Samsung Galaxy Victory Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Victory release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 2100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews