1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Virgin Mobile] twrp 2.6 - anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tarvoke, Jul 9, 2013.

1. tarvoke

tarvoke Member

I had horrible luck (grey screen) with 2.5 when I received my victory and tried to root it a month or two ago. ended up having great success with 2.4.3.0, and then later saw more than a few threads with people saying 2.5 was a bit broken.

goo.im is not offering me an update to 2.6 (nor did it to 2.5) although it does seem to recognize that I have some sort of recovery installed.

just curious if anyone has tried twrp 2.6 on the victory, does it work, is it broken, is it better, is it worth it, etc.

cheers!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kwknott

kwknott Android Expert

I haven't seen 2.6 for the Victory. Unless is specifically ported to our phone, you want to avoid installing it. Bad things could result from an incompatible recovery.

3. JerryScript

JerryScript Android Expert

What kwknott said!

Recoveries are built based upon the partition table of the particular phone. Attempting to run a recovery with the wrong partition table can permanently brick your phone!

4. tarvoke

tarvoke Member

many thanks for the caution - I had thought that the goghspr (now on v2.6) was also compatible with VM victory. but if it's e.g. sprint-only, that could probably explain why I had a problem with the v2.5 of it...!

5. tarvoke

tarvoke Member

ah yes I see that goghvmu is indeed a separate beast.

mods please feel free to delete this thread as a waste of time and space.

6. g60madman

g60madman Guest

I built 2.6 and the ext_sdcard stop working altogether. I also contacted the source developer of twrp and he said it's best to stick with the version we have. So I scrapped the project after working on it for several hours with no success of getting the ext_sdcard working.

7. tarvoke

tarvoke Member

!

brings me back to older days of CWM and optimus V, and you would be soooooooo tempted to go for the next major revision, but your heart and all of the forums said, "sure, just expect Very Bad Things"

8. JerryScript

I may eventually port my CWM-Green recovery, it has extended features that allow ROM developers to include the ability to perform automatic updates/installs (prevents people borking their phones by missing a step in the instructions). I'm still getting comfortable with the phone and 4.1.2 right now.

llamadon likes this.
  9. tarvoke

tarvoke Member

Sailor Jerry - that would be pretty cool

my favourite recovery with the OV was always zefie/LeslieAnn's xionia version of CWM.

I've seriously tried many times to wrap my head around the partitioning/etc. of ARM* devices and the only result is ubifs atop yaffs atop jffs atop mmc block, makes my head hurt. I've done a tiny bit of dev on the android-x86 project and good lord that is so much easier, because, human-understandable filesystems!

*dude, I can code newton soups, I have a pretty good idea how weird arm can be

10. JerryScript

Luckily, most of the work has been done, it's now a matter of refining/modding. Once you have a build environment set up to build some version of Android from source, it's extremely easy to build a recovery, and modify it to your desires. Much easier than dealing with Android's complex class dependecies (especialy 4.0+)!

tarvoke likes this.
  11. tarvoke

tarvoke Member

thanks once more, JerryScript

my landlord* wanted to enter the strange new world of Android, and I was happy to give him my OV for free.

except -

then I realized, to get the bobzhome 4.1 rom off there, to re-re-re-partition the flash, to get it back to the state where it could take a stock VM 2.2 rom, so that it could actually activate on a new user account, was really more time than the actual device was worth. quelle surprise.

and

yeah, once you have the toolchain and whatnot installed, it's not so big a deal. ok I have never compiled a recovery so far, but I have built more than a few ax86 isos (again, FAR easier - also takes about 20gb if you have that much free disk space...!)

*(I think he ended up with lg p930, best of luck to him)

12. insanelycool

insanelycool Well-Known Member

My phone must be frankenstein, because it never acted badly to being flashed with TWRP 2.5 (the only weird thing it does is flash the screen with what looks like a snowy tv image before displaying the proper TWRP splash and then entering recovery).

I figured since I had no problem with 2.5 that I may as well upgrade to 2.6, and haven't had any problems aside from still getting that snowy splash screen mentioned above (knock on wood.)

My phone seems to be the exception, as it never had the VM splash screen, the mms didn't work (even before rooting) until I flashed that proper stock virgin mobile recovery that is availible on the forum here, and it seems to be compatible with the sprint TWRP recovery for the victory... how weird.

just FYI, in case it matters, I have always flashed using the newest version of ODIN, which is 3.07 at the moment.

13. TWRP 2.6.0.0 works 100% and I can now confirm TWRP 2.6.3.0 is working 100% making encrypted backups and restoring them. Thanks to the Developers.

BadbrainsEddie
    New Orleans, LA

14. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

Where did you get it? I didn't think anyone ported it to our phone.

15. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert

If like link to it as well, please.

16. kwknott

kwknott Android Expert

17. dibblebill

Doe sit work with the VM version, then, is the question... I might try it out tonight.

18. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

both links download the .tar

19. NolenUmar

NolenUmar Well-Known Member

I'm using that twrp 2.6 I found in your files. I flashed the zip and rebooted and do far it's all okay. It's allowed me to backup to and restore from extSd. But to be honest that's all I know of. I don't use any of the other features.

20. dibblebill

The big question would be, is partitioning the same between the Sprint and Virgin Mobile models

21. JonathanWhitey

JonathanWhitey Android Enthusiast

What is the difference between the two versions?

22. I pulled the recovery.img's from 2.5 and 2.6.3.0 apart with Virtous Ten Studio and I didn't notice much different so I've been using 2.6.3.0 ever since. I've restored my 1st back before flashing Victorious and restored all new backups with no problem.

dibblebill, tarvoke and Madbat like this.
  23. tarvoke

tarvoke Member

DATE/TIME IN RECOVERY WILL ALWAYS BE WRONG DUE TO A DEVICE ISSUE THAT CANNOT BE FIXED.

lol good thing that is cleared up and I don't have to feel like I'd been the one doing something wrong.

also the fact that I started this thread entirely under erroneous assumption, the mods did not delete it even tho I requested, and the eventual fact that people continued the thread once the information finally became correct (surprising the hell out of me)

cheers to you all!

24. dibblebill

Confirming it works on my VM device as well

Samsung Galaxy Victory Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Victory release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 2100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews