• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Victory only have 2 roms really???,

That being said, the two devs working on roms for this phone are both dedicated and meticulous and getting it all right. I'm currently running conquest 11.3 and this is by far the best rom I've ever used on any phone, period.
don't write off this phone just yet, good things are still happening...it's just a matter of us being patient.

Upvote 0
Here's a mostly working port of cm10. I think camera is only thing not working. Maybe MMS over 4g problem too.
cm10 - 4G, Wifi, MMS(3g), and Gallery/Video Working - Android Forums
Also there is a lot more to rooting than just Roms. Give xposed framework a try. :cool:

Don't forget about the weak wifi signal causing phone to reboot bug in that cm10...

Edit: I'm retracting my statement about wifi for now. I haven't had it happen yet since installing the "slim-Sense5-gogvmu" version. So far so good (and my wifi signal is really weak and fluctuates a lot where I am right now).

Edit 2: Nevermind, getting the reboot bug with wifi again. I guess I should have knocked on wood!

Upvote 0
I'm working on getting the camera to work on cm10 for victory. I'm not really sure how I could possibly do any better than the other amazing devs on this forum... but many minds are better than a few at least (and we all think a bit differently, so maybe I will come up with something they didn't...but don't hold your breath!). I will keep you all posted with any progress.

Upvote 0
My guess is this just isn't a phone devs had much interest baking roms for. It seems like there use to be more roms back when this was still fairly new.

Personally this isn't a phone I'd invest in, as from nearly any phone now a days it's just a down grade. That could be another reason for the lack of dev support.

Tell me which phones in virgin's lineup are better than the victory besides the s3 and desire? Downgrade? The s3 is virgin's juggernaut and its too old to justify over $300. I'm curious what the victory is a downgrade from. Its one of the only 3 I would buy. And for 80$ its the best bang for your buck on virgin. Just my opinion. :cool:

Upvote 0
Even the triumph had more support whats up 360

Well, for one, it's a hell of a lot harder to make a ROM than make forum posts asking why there aren't any. If you're going to wade in and get your hands dirty, be my guest. :)

I haven't even gotten mine to boot yet, so your comment about wanting Android 4.4 is going to have to wait as well, since that's what I'm working on.

Upvote 0
coming over here from the Sprint side to chime in a bit.

Part of the reason there are not many custom ROMs I would also say is the phone is not among those that doesn't really work well out of the box.

It's rootable and 90% of the bloat can be frozen/removed. moonknight has done the full Conquest on it; I've just done a lot of stock modifications on the Sprint side for the small things that I felt were missing (theme, reboot menu, dial pad, etc.)

Throw in Xposed modules and really it's just a solid, fast phone. It would be nice if it saw a 4.4.2 official update on Sprint or Virgin's side, but I've been hard pressed to load up the phone and go "god I wish it did this or that".

My last big quirk was solved with Xposed, and that was just the "double tap on app chooser to choose what to use to open". I was about to hard code that in, but why bother when a module works?

xPrivacy also works wonders, so that whole 4.3 AppGuard is not needed.

I'd love more development on it, but as an Android phone on Sprint it's pretty solid once rooted and the bloat is frozen/removed and some available zips are flashed.

Just my two cents.

Upvote 0
Yeah y'all right bra! I've used others i-phones, Galaxy III's, 4's, blah blah blah, but this phone rocks (only after deodexing the stock or Conquest_11.3 with my modifications to it as well). It's very hard to port roms cause there is a handful of phones with the msm8960 lite and if none of them have developers tossing out roms then the same for us, but I am quite happy with Quest 11.3. Why would I need a bunch of roms when Quest 11.3 is the best of them all. Y'all can make this phone bad ass but you can't expect everyone to lead you by the hand with mods, roms, apps, etc... Pull apart apks, kernels (repack) yourself with Virtous Ten Studio (Greatest Program Ever) and y'all will understand what I mean when I say this phone is Bad To The Bone!

BadBrainsEddie

Upvote 0
Yeah y'all right bra! I've used others i-phones, Galaxy III's, 4's, blah blah blah, but this phone rocks (only after deodexing the stock or Conquest_11.3 with my modifications to it as well). It's very hard to port roms cause there is a handful of phones with the msm8960 lite and if none of them have developers tossing out roms then the same for us, but I am quite happy with Quest 11.3. Why would I need a bunch of roms when Quest 11.3 is the best of them all. Y'all can make this phone bad ass but you can't expect everyone to lead you by the hand with mods, roms, apps, etc... Pull apart apks, kernels (repack) yourself with Virtous Ten Studio (Greatest Program Ever) and y'all will understand what I mean when I say this phone is Bad To The Bone!

BadBrainsEddie

Yeah. I've got some time today so I think I'm just gonna deodex my phone for the heck of it.

Upvote 0
Man i would love to try and make a ROM I'm not a noob I've been flashing forever but idk where to start is there a program or what point me in the direction and I will try

Best thing to do is start small, and take one step at a time.

You can get some general info here on making apps, this is basically a good place to start because it points out some of the languages and tools you might want to learn: So, You Want To Develop Android Apps? Here's How To Learn

If you want to start modifying ROMS (probably the best method to dig in and start learning by looking and doing), check out the post by 'badbrainseddie' here: http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...-deodex-stock-apks-framework.html#post6405348

If you make it through those and still feel like digging in more you can PM me, or better yet (cause I'm still pretty newb), you could make a new thread asking questions... There are a lot of helpful people here on the forum!

Upvote 0
I just bought my galaxy last week while it was 80$ and coming from a 2.3 optimus elite it was a huge upgrade for me. Of course the itch hit me and I immediately got it rooted and gave conquest a shot. Great stuff but I reverted back to stock and got link2sd working and I been a happy camper since. Granted there isn't a lot of stuff going on here but the victory in it's own right is a perfectly great running phone, It honestly doesn't need much else. Get root, handle that memory issue, delete the bloat, Smooth sailing.

From a software view having jelly bean pretty much grants us a pass on most if not all major google app updates for the next year or so. I can't say I'm in no rush for anyone to make anything outrageous, If cm10 had it's camera working I'd probably use that for the life of my phone simply because touchwiz design is too nature focused and i feel it takes up space.

Kitkat would be nice to have and the victory is still technically in the 18 month limit for upgrades and the memory freed up would be welcome but I'm not sure Samsung has it in em to do another upgrade spree like last year. Maybe one of our determined guys here will pull it off but can't say it's something I feel it just outright needs so much as it's a welcome change.

Sorry if I rambled here it was just my honest opinion. Personally I'm just happy I can play Asphalt 7 and Need for speed most wanted on the thing. Got those games a year ago on sale and never thought i'd get to play em.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones