• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [VIRGINMOBILE][GUIDE][BASIC][WIP] Rooting for Newbies!

TheBritton

Resident Galaxy Cat
Oct 9, 2011
Amarillo, TX
thebritton.tumblr.com
THIS METHOD INTENDED FOR VIRGIN MOBILE USERS

ROOTING FOR NEWBIES!

UPDATE (7/28/2014):

Before continuing with this guide, please be aware there is a much simpler method for rooting as suggested by the_Victorian at this post http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...-basic-wip-rooting-newbies-6.html#post6624466 and is quotes as follows:

Guys for a much simpler root, just use www.towelroot.com. step 1: Download apk. Step 2: run apk step 3: get superSU from google play, CONGRATS YOU ARE ROOTED!!!!

-the_Victorian

First off, thanks to xInterlopeRx who is a part of [OUDHS] (Official Unloved Devices Hit Squad) which brought us ports such as the TWRP and CWM recoveries which will be used to root this phone. Expect brilliant future development from this team! Be sure and give a thanks to them!

If you just bought the phone you are probably on Android OS 4.1.2
If you are still on Ice Cream Sandwich (Android OS 4.0) this guide will still work for you, but you might want to upgrade to Jellybean using the "Update Firmware" option in System Updates found in your settings menu before you root.

Make sure you have the Samsung USB drivers installed on your computer.
You may find those here: Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.14.0.exe

First thing you'll need to root this phone is a custom recovery. You will need to download that here: TWRP.2.4.3.0.tar

Now, you're gonna want to save these two files (you will flash them with your custom recovery after it's installed) and place them on your sd card:
busybox_v1.20.2-CWM+.zip
SuperSU-v1.80.zip

If you don't have Odin installed on your computer, do that now. You can find Odin here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2133496

You have downloaded and installed Odin and Samsung USB drivers listed above? You've downloaded the TWRP .tar file to your computer and you've place the SuperSU and Busybox zip files on your SD card? Okay, great!

Now, let's flash the custom recovery, which will be TWRP, on your device! And let's root this thing!

1. Turn off your Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE
  2. On your PC, launch the ODIN.exe file you unzipped from the prerequisites.
  3. On ODIN, click the PDA section and select the TWRP .tar you downloaded from the link above. Uncheck Auto Reboot! Make sure NO partition options are checked!
  4. Place phone in download mode by pressing Volume Down + Power. Hold until confirmation screen appears. Confirm by pressing Volume +.
  5. Connect your phone to the PC via USB cable
  6. Check ODIN. A small box on the upper left should turn blue and the dialog box must display "Added!!"
  7. Select "Start" and wait for it to finish. After it is complete, Odin will say PASS! After you see this, disconnect the USB cable from your phone and pull your battery out of your phone.
  8. Place the battery back in. While holding the VOLUME UP button, press the power and hold it until you see the green text that says "Booting into recovery". As soon as you see this green text let go of all the buttons!
  9. Click on Install in your custom recovery (TWRP) and navigate to where you placed the two files listed earlier which will be the Busybox and SuperSU zip. You will want to install both of those. Assuming it is successful, you will then want to select Reboot System from your TWRP menu.
  10. You should now be rooted! I assume you are familiar with what rooting does so there is no need to explain how SuperSU works. ENJOY YOUR ROOTED PHONE!

LIBRARY (work in progress)

STOCK REPOSITORY:

Rooted JB Stock ROM and Stock Kernel: [VMOBI][ROM] Stock Virgin Mobile Victory ROOTED [5.2.13]

MODIFICATIONS REPOSITORY:

Thanks to xInterlopeRx and [OUDHS] :D

Mod Recoveries:
CWMR-v6.0.2.8-Victory.zip
TWRP-v2.4.3.0-Victory.zip
TWRP.2.4.3.0.tar

Mod Kernels:
RedSpot uncapped kernel (1.5Ghz): RedSpot_VM_SPH-L300

RESOURCES:

GAPPS (Google Apps Package): http://goo.im/gapps
Superuser.zip (Superuser 3.0.7): http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?iv8ru6bb0whui92
SuperSU: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053
Odin3: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2133496
Mobile Odin Lite (not supported at this date): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1347899
Samsung USB Drivers: Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.14.0.exe

ROMS:

Coming soon! (We hope)

Upvote 0
The following is a Guide on how to install a custom kernel or custom recovery in TAR format using Odin.

HOW TO FLASH KERNELS AND RECOVERIES USING ODIN:

First, make sure you have installed the Samsung USB drivers onto your computer that are found here: Samsung_E4GT_USB_Driver_v1_3_2360_0.exe
Odin3_v3.04 can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2133496
  1. Download a custom kernel for your Victory in .tar format.
  2. Turn off your smartphone
  3. On your PC, launch the ODIN.exe file you unzipped from the prerequisites.
  4. On ODIN, click the PDA section and select the .tar kernel you downloaded from step 1. Don't click anything else.
  5. Place phone in download mode by pressing Volume Down + Power. Hold until confirmation screen appears. Confirm by pressing Volume +.
  6. Connect your phone to the PC via USB cable
  7. Check ODIN. A small box on the upper left should turn blue and the dialog box must display "Added!!"
  8. Select "Start" and wait for it to finish. After it is complete, your Victory will reboot on its own. You now have a custom kernel flashed on your phone!

How To Check For A Successful Custom Kernel Installation

Go to Settings > About Phone > Kernel Version. It should coincide with the kernel you just flashed. Enjoy!

The following is a guide on how to flash modems in TAR format using Odin.

HOW TO FLASH MODEMS USING ODIN:

First, make sure you have installed the Samsung USB drivers onto your computer that are found here: Samsung_E4GT_USB_Driver_v1_3_2360_0.exe
Odin3_v3.04 can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2133496
  1. Download a modem for your Victory in .tar format.
  2. Turn off your smartphone
  3. On your PC, launch the ODIN.exe file you unzipped from the prerequisites.
  4. On ODIN, click the Phone section and select the .tar kernel you downloaded from step 1. Don't click anything else.
  5. Place phone in download mode by pressing Volume Down + Power. Hold until confirmation screen appears. Confirm by pressing Volume +.
  6. Connect your phone to the PC via USB cable
  7. Check ODIN. A small box on the upper left should turn blue and the dialog box must display "Added!!"
  8. Select "Start" and wait for it to finish. After it is complete, your Victory will reboot on its own. You now have a custom modem flashed on your phone!

How To Check For A Successful Custom Modem Installation

Go to Settings > About Phone > Baseband Version. It should coincide with the modem you just flashed. Enjoy!

Reactions: Stray Goose
Upvote 0
Please post suggestions or recommendations for this guide and feel free to post tips, support, and other info that may be helpful to others. If I missed anything or made a mistake in this guide please let me know so I can make changes to keep this as accurate, current, and informative as possible :D

The goal for the "Library" here is to consolidate data, roms, kernels, mods, and eventually modems etc. This is everyone's so please post suggestions, additions, info, etc so we can help us help each other if that makes sense ;)

If links are later discovered to be dead please let me know.

Upvote 0
Yeah! I was looking for an extended battery before the phone arrived since I was used to it on my S2.

Well.. after using the phone since Saturday, I say.. who needs an extended battery?! Haha! :D

Pretty much this. And stock isn't THAT bad. Granted, I think we are missing some features of full TouchWiz...Like theming icons and whatnot...but all in all? I'm very satisfied. Especially once I removed a lot of the bloatware.

This is a mini S3 as far as I'm concerned, and I love it. My first Samsung smartphone!

Reactions: DMajor239
Upvote 0
Pretty much this. And stock isn't THAT bad. Granted, I think we are missing some features of full TouchWiz...Like theming icons and whatnot...but all in all? I'm very satisfied. Especially once I removed a lot of the bloatware.

This is a mini S3 as far as I'm concerned, and I love it. My first Samsung smartphone!

I really do like Samsung. They are quick with OTAs and though I do see some people dissing Touchwhiz on a few forums, I don't think it's that bad. Stock on this phone is VERY nice. My first smartphone was the Optimus V and my second was the Motorola Triumph and those phones NEEDED custom roms. This phone does not. It's nice to have a phone that is great right out of the box. I have negative feelings towards Motorola after the lack of support with the Triumph.. Samsung however has impressed me.

I look forward to future development but really this phone is so good there is no need (performance-wise) for custom roms or overclocking. That doesn't mean I won't gladly flash them once they come out though ;)

Upvote 0
Exactly! Granted I've replaced a few things...SMS app and keyboard. Debating a launcher like Nova but meh. Touchwiz seems fine so far. Overall. A great phone. And cheaper than the S2. Though I did want that phone. But im happy with this investment

The S2 has a few minor glitches. This phone is better performance wise

Upvote 0
I will say, the phone performs pretty well right out of the box. Came back at I THINK 7300 on AnTuTu, not OC'd or anything. Which is pretty good, I think.

I think once (if?) we get a kernel that works for us VM users, it'll blow away most other phones.

Like I said: Its a Mini S3.

Although I can't say i'm not looking at mods/apps on XDA though ;)

Upvote 0
Tried the root per instructions. Odin box does not turn blue, it turned yellow. Recovery does not list install. Closest was update from external. Tried that. Failed and auto rebooted. Did I do something wrong?

I may incorrect in the color of the box. It should say connected.

Be sure to uncheck autoreboot in Odin before flashing TWRP. Once your TWRP recovery installs and it says PASS, unplug the USB cable, remove the battery. Replace battery and hold Volume Up and Power to boot into TWRP. As soon as you see the green text that says "booting into recovery" let go of all the buttons.

Reactions: Rock101
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones