• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [VMOBI][ROM][KERNEL] Victorious ROM + VaeVictus OC kernel (Updated 7-30-13)

Cool
one other question concerning ext2internal.... how will the phone act if i have no SD card installed at the moment and then plan to add a 32gb or 64gb later... will current installed apps function /new installed apps?

and DAMN on that battery... sounds convincing enough for me...

one last question i just got my phone today and my first experience with VM, it is activated now... will flashing this upate require me to reactive and is that pretty easy

If you have no SD card, you definitely want to remove the ext2internal script till you do put one in your phone. When you do add an sdcard, if you have any apps that use large data files (usually games, some other apps as well), you would need to uninstall then activate ext2internal (replace the file in init.d and reboot), then reinstall those apps.

So long as you have activated you should not have to reactivate after flashing Victorious. I suggest you do all the updates in the settings menu before you flash Victorious or any other ROM. And of course, do a backup in recovery before flashing!

Upvote 0
Nice and easy...

I defiantly made sure to do a back up in TWRP before starting anything... brand new phone i just spent $250 on wanted to be sure to have an out should anything go wrong

I did end up using TWRP 2.4.3

I unziped the package and removed the ext2interal script and rezipped it
followed the simple instructions and bingo bango... done and done

just flashed the update so have had much testing but everything looks great so far...

took my Antutu benchmark from 10846 to 12056

I just ordered a 32gb Sd card.. just wondering if I will need to reflash when i get that in or just manually add the ext2interal script...i know either way I will need to uninstall all my downloaded apps on the current internal storage and install them once i get ext2internal setup

Just another side note, I am not an expert in rooting or flashing roms but I have done 2 or 3 other devices in the past without performing a backup... people PLEASE do a back up... it helps relieve the stress and anxiety of is this going to work or am i going to brick my device...

Thanks Jerry for all of your help and time you have put into this project... and thanks to everyone else who has helped test and troubleshoot this... =) <3

Reactions: JerryScript
Upvote 0
I have a quick question about this phone?

this ROM seems great and there seems to be potential for the root community! But I wanted to know if I should go with this phone which is much more powerful, or the S2 4G Titanium on VM because I can run all the Epic 4G touch ROMs on it? I would like to know which one you guys think would perform better? As they are both at $200 i would like to get the best value you know?

Upvote 0
I have the s2 on boost now (same as virgin) i am considering this phone because its 4g is lte as wi max is a dying bread and id like 4g in more places. id say check the coverage map if you got lte where you dont have wi max thats what has me thinking of changing. i to love all the roms available for the s2/epic4g but i want more net speed and wimax isnt available in my area as lte is all over here.

Upvote 0
ok i took the plunge just bought one from virgin mobile. did expedited shipping hope to have it tomorrow would there be a kind soul that could point me to the correct links to install recovery and getting this rom on it. in pm if not wanting to clog up the thread. i have odin installed and working on my galaxy s2 just new phone need some guidance.

Upvote 0
I normally don't cross post but the other place I posted this comments only has posts by JerryScript and I.

I've been running since Friday with absolutely no real problems. The only thing I noticed is System Update in settings does not work.

Also, not a problem but a request that may be more than what should be done with this ROM. I would like to be able to change the toggles on the status bar.

I removed most of the Sprint and Samsung labeled apps, which is why the System Update doesn't work. It will take some experimentation to see which ones are necessary, and if the stock recovery has anything to do with it (if it does, we will have to flash stock for any future upgrades).

As of right now, I'm building this ROM from a backup, not from source. You can probably use a theme kitchen (or AndroidKitchen) to change the xml and icons to make them the size/appearance you desire. Just remember to backup first, because you will bork some stuff as you experiment!

Upvote 0
I have a quick question about this phone?

this ROM seems great and there seems to be potential for the root community! But I wanted to know if I should go with this phone which is much more powerful, or the S2 4G Titanium on VM because I can run all the Epic 4G touch ROMs on it? I would like to know which one you guys think would perform better? As they are both at $200 i would like to get the best value you know?

My sister has the VM GS2, so I've been able to do some side-by-side comparisons. Here's my take:
  1. If you like a bigger screen, go GS2, I like the Victory's size in my pocket, but your tastes are what matters
  2. The smaller screen gives better battery life on the Victory
  3. The smaller screen means less for the CPU/GPU to process, so things like webpages appear just a bit faster in some cases (not always)
  4. 4GLTE is way faster than 4GWiMax, but 3G is pretty much the same on both phones
  5. The GS2 has a better camera, and it is noticeable
So I would say, if battery life or connection speeds are you main concern, go with the Victory. If large screens or somewhat better photos are you main concern, go with the GS2. Personally, I like the screen size, and 4GLTE makes all the difference down the road!

Upvote 0
i dont see a link was there suppose to be one and is twrp the recovery of choice for this phone?

The links and instructions to install TWRP and root your phone are in the sticky thread at the top of this forum. TWRP 2.4.3 appears to be the best recovery for this phone ATM, no reports of issues with it, but there have been reported issues with other recoveries.

Just install Odin on your PC, install the Samsung drivers, start Odin, turn your power off then place in download mode (vol-down+power then vol-up to confirm). In Odin, select PDA and your downloaded TWRP file, uncheck all partition options, then press start. It will flash TWRP, then you pull the battery out of the phone, unhook it from your PC, then boot into recovery by holding vol-up+power. Once in recovery, flash the SuperUser zip (and busybox, or install it from the market later). Reboot and you are rooted and ready to rock!

Upvote 0
Alright I think I ran into a problem. I managed to flash Victorious and now starting to re-install my big apps and whatnot. When I installed Play Music it automatically started to re-download my music... but then midway through it said I ran out of space. I thought this was odd since I have many gigs worth of free space on my sdcard0 memory. However, I looked into my Internal memory (that other memory that used to "kind of" walk along sdcard0 memory, and it said I have 6MB left out of 1.83GB.

Did I do something wrong? Is Internal supposed to swap with extSdCard as well or just sdcard0?

BTW: I am not sure how to free up space in Internal memory, only sdcard0 and extSdCard.

Upvote 0
Sdcard0 is internal and extsdcard is external sd. With Victorious it is swapped so phone thinks external sd is sdcard0 and internal is extsdcard. Looks like maybe your music is caching to extsdcard which is the 1.8gb internal. You can check but I'm not sure if play music gives you the option of telling it where to save.

Upvote 0
Sdcard0 is internal and extsdcard is external sd. With Victorious it is swapped so phone thinks external sd is sdcard0 and internal is extsdcard. Looks like maybe your music is caching to extsdcard which is the 1.8gb internal. You can check but I'm not sure if play music gives you the option of telling it where to save.
Okay I now remember making a symbolic link for Play Music a while back to move it to extSdCard. That link may still be dumping the downlaoded music over there, which is now the Internal SD in reality.

I will make a new link to the Internal SD (now Micro SD) to see if that fixes things.

Upvote 0
Okay I now remember making a symbolic link for Play Music a while back to move it to extSdCard. That link may still be dumping the downlaoded music over there, which is now the Internal SD in reality.

I will make a new link to the Internal SD (now Micro SD) to see if that fixes things.

Let me know how it works out. There are numerous ways to improve your storage, you obviously understand symlinking (I wish everyone did), and there are tons of scripts that will move various things around.

I could modify init.rc, fstab, and vold, and give out instructions on how to modify your pit, giving the internalsd card space to data, and making the externalsd card sdcard0. However, I know 20-30% of the users would bork their partition tables modifying the pit, and it would require me remote desktopping into their computers with their phones hooked up to fix.

Rather than go through all that, I'm hoping some intrepid users will test various 2sd scripts/mods out and report which would be best to add to the ROM. ;)

Upvote 0
So does anyone think we will ever see we a CM10 or 10.1 ROM for the Galaxy Victory Virgin Mobile, was really looking forward to it but now bummer. What can we do now I'm not a technical genius or Id port over an unofficial version of 10.1.

I'm just getting my feet wet on the Victory with Victorious. I used to build CM7 for the OptimusV (BACKside-IHO kang), and I'm looking forward to getting CM10.1 going on the Victory! I make no promises, but I'll be setting up my build environment soon (just finished a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04). ;)

Reactions: infamous1
Upvote 0
Update 7-10-13 Victorious-0.1.3 :

1. Fixed WiFi Tethering
  2. Added Gallery/Camera4.3 combo (kept stock combo too)
  3. Removed more bloatware and non-english fonts
  4. Changed Samsung boot logo to Victorious ROM!

Download Victorious-0.1.3

md5 cdffab825964322e1fbce7185d4915a5

How to configure tethering:
  1. Open Wifi Tether-TrevE Mod in your app drawer
  2. Press your Menu key and select Settings
  3. Select Change Device-Profile and scroll down to select Samsung Galaxy Nexus (CDMA/LTE)
  4. Check Send Netd Max Client Cmd
  5. Optional : Enable WiFi-Encryption (recommended)
  6. If you enabled WiFi-Encryption, select Change Passphrase and enter a password at least 8 characters long
  7. Optional: Change SSID (recommended change the name to something you like, after all there's lots of AndroidPhones!)
  8. Optional: Change Channel (try till you find the best results)
  9. Check WiFi-driver reload (tested and works)
  10. Press your back button
  11. Press the large white WiFi symbol to start tethering, it will turn yellow once tethering is active, (note- you will have to grant SuperUser rights the first time)
  12. Now you can connect to your phone using the SSID and passphrase you entered
  13. Press the large yellow WiFi symbol to turn off tethering, then exit the app
I have tested with both 3G and 4G, works great. I tested with 4G (new to Vegas! ;)) by loading Yahoo which loaded almost instantly, then clicking on a link to a story about a 50ft wave on Deadliest Catch, then I watched the video which played without buffering at all! I bought this phone due to 4GLTE, and I'm not disappointed!

Huge thanks to g60madman for creating Vmobi and hosting the files for Victorious, to JupiterOne for allowing me to pack his awesome RedSpot kernel into the ROM, to mattiadj for the extsd2internalsd script, TheBritton, Koush, TrevE for WiFi Tether, and a whole lot more!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones