• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Virgin Mobile

rebel69ization

Jun 23, 2012
They are like car salesmen, convince you this is the best you can get, hiding what they really have so you do not have the latest. They are vampires feeding on your faith in the fact that they have your back. In fact we are padding Richard Bransons wallet S.O.B.

Yep. We are fortunate to have such great devs and also a supportive community. Most devices are lucky to only have one of those. As for Motorola, if I were to show my hate for them, it just couldn't be expressed in words. But this is pretty close - I hope they go bankrupt, and the CEOs new and old go move into a box. They don't deserve jack for all the horrible treatment they gave us. And whomever decided to not release the source code and lure us in with new phones (I am sorry for my offensiveness) can just go burn in hell. :evil: I'm sick of crony capitalism. It's ruining America. Luckily there are those out there who still care, such as our devs and AF for supplying us with the means. VM should only provide a service. However, them together with Moto have provided no support; they just milked the Triumph like a cash cow and left it to rot. They are definitely going to the lowest circle of the world's basement! (aka hell!) If I could, I would definitely be cursing at them here. But I must not only obey the rules, but also think of more creative insults for them that cannot come back to bite me. :evil:

Reactions: rebel69ization
Upvote 0
Thank God for all the great Devs we got, to counteract this shameful treatment of customers.

It is prepaid and the margins are razor thin, so what do you want? Many of the people using the Triumph are using the $25 a month plan, so there's no economic justification for issuing an upgrade to Gingerbread or anything else. I don't see why the manufacturer or the carrier is obligated to provide a new OS that they never promised.

Speaking for myself, the Triumph is an inexpensive phone (I paid $118 used) on a cheap plan (300 mins + 2 gigs) for $25. If I wanted the latest technology, I could pay around $600 for the phone and pay a premium for the service.

Should the people with Samsung Intercepts or HTC Optimus Vs be upset that they aren't getting upgrades either?

Upvote 0
It is prepaid and the margins are razor thin, so what do you want? Many of the people using the Triumph are using the $25 a month plan, so there's no economic justification for issuing an upgrade to Gingerbread or anything else. I don't see why the manufacturer or the carrier is obligated to provide a new OS that they never promised.

Speaking for myself, the Triumph is an inexpensive phone (I paid $118 used) on a cheap plan (300 mins + 2 gigs) for $25. If I wanted the latest technology, I could pay around $600 for the phone and pay a premium for the service.

Should the people with Samsung Intercepts or HTC Optimus Vs be upset that they aren't getting upgrades either?

First of all the intercept sucks, second the optimus v has been running jellybean for sometime now. Yes, we got this for 25$ a month but damn the kyocera rise with ics on it straight out the box? for 10times less? Yeah, I think cause of what a lot of us paid for this phone HELL YES WE DESERVE MORE!.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you expect from a mobile phone company. $25/mo is what I expected. I bought the Triumph not for what I hoped it might become, but for what it was when I bought it. It's kinda nuts to expect more out of something than what it is when you buy it. You'll be very disappointed with pretty much everything that way.

That said, our devs have done wonders. I don't expect anything new from Virgin, Motorola, Google, or even our devs for that matter. The fact that our devs keep pleasantly surprising me is a bonus. But is a a bonus, not something I deserve or should expect.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Yeah I guess we shouldn't complain about it too much. But we need to let loose some steam. Just don't say anything that could come back to haunt you. As for VM and Moto, they are acting like almost every cell company and carrier in this country. Other countries have laws preventing this sort of behavior, and I wish we would too. Maybe we can do something constructive. Now that the steam is freed, instead of turning this into a flamefest (not blaming anyone here, we all are under stress from the lack of support), we could perhaps one day try to do something about this. When the government finally decides to get along and we are out of the fiscal cliff and national debt mess (for now), we can always write to our representatives. There is no regulation in the tech industry, and despite that allowing it to grow, the inner liberal in me fears something should be done, something that is bipartisan that we should agree on - we must all attempt to protest this lack of support and lock in from large companies. You can always donate to the EFF or similar organizations (check charity navigator first). They may not always win, but even $5 spent on fighting for consumer choice, corporate responsibility, and lessening government corruption (lobbying, both parties raiding Social Security, and the mess continues on, etc.) is well spent. Anything that keeps America democratic and not a corporate dictatorship is good by anyone's views. I myself am liberal, but I know of not one conservative that would think this type of crap treatment of customers is fair. It's not about politics. It's about morals and ethics - something that is now rare in this country on the corporate front, nay on any front. I have seen our community here and our devs have more mature ethics and morals than any Fortune 500 company. Let us organize the nerds to stand for online freedom! End rant.

Upvote 0
I agree with everyone on the fact that $25 a month is a good deal even if the service sucks. The thing I would like to point out is there's no options for people like me who can't afford to upgrade our phones. Is it asking too much to release the code for maybe a small fee?. Team MtDev wouldn't have to work so hard on this.

Reactions: MikeRL
Upvote 0
I doubt there is any way to get the code. The problem is we don't know who owns the code for the proprietary drivers. Once g60, Bsydz, and dorregay finish their work for now, I am certain the petition will get delivered. Then, perhaps if they are willing to work with us we can negotiate. I don't know how the system goes. I am not a lawyer, unfortunately. But I can say that I highly doubt any of these guys are leaving now that we just got the camera partially working. Dorregay is sending g60 patches, Bsydz worked on the kernel, and g60 is masterminding everything. I'm not rich either, but if I made some cuts I managed to afford upgrading. However, now that the camera is better, something tells me that you and everyone else are safe for a while. I felt before that all would be abandoned, but just hang in there! There are people with spare change, and they do donate to our cause. I've donated myself numerous times. We also are well-organized, unlike what happened to the Optimus V. Trust me, you all are in good hands. g60 said he would move on before, but he just keeps coming back! I think he actually cares a lot. I mean even more than I thought months ago. I doubt this thing will be abandoned for at least a year. And if it's running Jelly Bean or ICS then? I know it sucks, but many people are stuck still on Gingerbread. I believe 50% of Androids have GB. So we won't go obsolete any time soon. Plus, many others are still sticking around for the cheap plan. I myself will start learning C by taking classes in about 4 weeks, and if I can contribute to the cause via hacking the code, I will as long as I have time.

Upvote 0
He's not on the website and commercials for nothing (meaning no money) I promise ya that much.

Branson collects royalties from Sprint for the use of the Virgin Mobile name. He also appears in ads as a spokesman. But he doesn't have anything to do with the day-to-day operations.

Virgin Mobile USA is just Sprint with a different logo, as is Boost Mobile. It is also independent of the other Virgin Mobiles in other countries, including Canada.

Upvote 0
My wife has an LG Optimus V. I can attest there is no Jellybean variant available. Even the ICS versions available are very buggy and have long been abandoned. So it's kind of hard for me to complain about where we are with our Triumphs.

I don't know about the jellybean variants ... But I used to use a optimus v before i got the triumph and I ran QUatrimus ICS on it and it was very smooth no glitches , no bugs whatsoever. I gave it to my son after my friend upgraded and gave me his Triumph ... It still is going good for him . If you want a good ics rom for the ov go for quatrimus! As far as the complaints I have none I would have some if this phone was stock, because the phone flat out sucked stock. But now that devs have made strides to better the phone I have no complaints. I love the ics os but I sit here on MIUI 2.4.2 until the camera is fixed and it looks like mtdev is super close to making that a reality. Big companies never care about the individual user especially if they are a lower tier customer like we are to sprint.

Upvote 0
I don't know about the jellybean variants ... But I used to use a optimus v before i got the triumph and I ran QUatrimus ICS on it and it was very smooth no glitches , no bugs whatsoever. I gave it to my son after my friend upgraded and gave me his Triumph ... It still is going good for him . If you want a good ics rom for the ov go for quatrimus! As far as the complaints I have none I would have some if this phone was stock, because the phone flat out sucked stock. But now that devs have made strides to better the phone I have no complaints. I love the ics os but I sit here on MIUI 2.4.2 until the camera is fixed and it looks like mtdev is super close to making that a reality. Big companies never care about the individual user especially if they are a lower tier customer like we are to sprint.

I gave my o.v. to my son and he's been running a stable ics since July 2012. 2.6.35.7 kernel with working cam and camcorder.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip, but Quatrimus is what I used. Mind you, I don't use the phone and my wife may be doing something wrong, but the clock doesn't seem to update, and email sometimes doesn't seem to go through. I've checked all the right switches and everything appears to be set correctly. I wanted to try "Cold As Ice", but gave up in trying to figure out exactly which files I was supposed to be downloading.

Thanks again anyway!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip, but Quatrimus is what I used. Mind you, I don't use the phone and my wife may be doing something wrong, but the clock doesn't seem to update, and email sometimes doesn't seem to go through. I've checked all the right switches and everything appears to be set correctly. I wanted to try "Cold As Ice", but gave up in trying to figure out exactly which files I was supposed to be downloading.

Thanks again anyway!

I used cold as ice and lmo it was the best, just had to flash the vm fix by zackman to have the buttons in the right order. The only bug was clock lag but it was a problem across the board. The fix for that was an app called clock sync that is on the market.

Upvote 0
We've now gotten the clock sync app, thank you for the tip. It appears to do the trick. As for the other "problems", I'm beginning to think my wife
1. doesn't know what she's doing
2. likes to criticize whenever I change things on her.

There doesn't appear to be an app for either of the above. :hmmmm:

Thanks again!

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=239458
try this one (jb slim rom)and the vm fix there on the thread the author made cold as ice

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones